Other Equipment

#Happyfourth of July from #thenocturnebrain

Keepin the spirit of free enterprise and independent craftsmanship alive this holiday. God bless your holiday, safe and sane on July 4th. :)

Back at ya.

– Ric12string

fireworks on the lake there?? I was thinking about you as I was at Big Bear Lake here in the San Berdoo mountains.. muddy as crap. That lake up there is a dream

Just left a big show over the lake that I have produced each year since 1984. This year, about 1300 shells. Really something special for a hamlet the size of my little town.

If you like fireworks you should come to my neighborhood. Indiana has the laxest firework regs in the nation, and doesn't enforce the few laws that they do have. Last night, they went past 1AM. I enjoy fireworks in a proper display setting, but, as I'm still dealing with PTSD, I spend most of fireworks season (Memorial Day thru Labor Day) down in the Bunker. I find it interesting that the poorest people spend the most on fireworks.

So that we are clear, I am not the pyrotechnic that fires the show. You have to be licensed to do that and that is highly regulated. Initially, I raised the money to pay for the show and obtained all the necessary permits and approvals, and hired the vendor. Now, we have this so dialed in that I just have to hire the vendor and work with them on what we want for our show.

The guy that does the pyro for our university and stage is also the guy that has the two largest sales tents in the county. Fireworks have a higher markup than prescription medicine. He stores them in public storage lockers. After the explosion and fire with Great White, the regs got a whole lot more stringent for indoor pyro--- just about eliminated them. We had a couple of stage fires over the last few years, tho, as tough as the university's Fire Marshall is, that's been seriously curtailed.

The legally sanctioned shows aren't the real problem, tho they have had their share of accidents. I don't have a problem with those. It's the jack weeds like the guy in Maine that put a mortar on his head and lit it (He didn't survive. Alcohol was involved) that are the problem. That, and the fact that law enforcement of fireworks is nonexistent here, the potential for problems is sky high.

I live in Philadelphia and the Police are so busy with other crime that the few PA laws are rarely enforced in the City. What I saw yesterday while walking my dog was really disturbing.....little girls (talking maybe 5 yrs old) lighting off stuff while the "adults" were busy grilling, socializing, and partying on the front patio.

So that we are clear, I am not the pyrotechnic that fires the show. You have to be licensed to do that and that is highly regulated. Initially, I raised the money to pay for the show and obtained all the necessary permits and approvals, and hired the vendor. Now, we have this so dialed in that I just have to hire the vendor and work with them on what we want for our show.

– Ric12string

ah and here I told my littke one that you were the grand wizard of donner lake. He's expecting a full tour of your firworks facility :)

Tavo, ours is an aerial display, not a stand selling safe and sane fireworks. But, you probably knew that.

Tavo, ours is an aerial display, not a stand selling safe and sane fireworks. But, you probably knew that.

– Ric12string

uhm... ya.

Register Sign in to join the conversation