Miscellaneous Rumbles

Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Gear?

Anyone here ever feel that they have overdone things regarding too much guitar gear?

I just came across my Electro-Harmonix Sitar pedal. A few years ago I had to, had to, just had to buy that thing. I've used it maybe a total of twenty-five minutes. I also have seven top amps and 17 professional level guitars. I am not a working musician. Hell, I can't even play barre chords, yet I have 17 guitars.

Anyone here feel your gear may be beyond your abilities or beyond your time to even utilize the stuff...or, heaven forbid, feel you wasted money on gear?

This was supposed to turn me into Ravi Shankar:

I fear my guitar playing days are numbered due to advancing arthritis in my left hand fingers. As I am lucky enough to afford gear I have been buying pretty much anything I like while I still can play. I do occasionally feel a bit guilty having all this equipment but I worked hard for it. I would put my playing skills at intermediate, playing primarily for my own enjoyment. Some days are better than others, my arthritis prevents me from playing barre chords some days so I have to use "little chords" (i.e. 3 notes). I frequent the local jam scene and see l many talented players playing inferior equipment, this makes me feel a bit selfish for what I have. Besides playing them I get great enjoyment just looking at them. To me they are like pieces of art.

I look on "too much gear" as the threshold beyond which I cannot maintain everything properly. I'm really close to that threshold, too.

The "stuff I never use" category seems to me to be merely misfires in desire. It's a different flavor of indulgence.

Paul/FF909

Anyone here ever feel that they have overdone things regarding too much guitar gear?

I just came across my Electro-Harmonix Sitar pedal. A few years ago I had to, had to, just had to buy that thing. I've used it maybe a total of twenty-five minutes. I also have seven top amps and 17 professional level guitars. I am not a working musician. Hell, I can't even play barre chords, yet I have 17 guitars.

Anyone here feel your gear may be beyond your abilities or beyond your time to even utilize the stuff...or, heaven forbid, feel you wasted money on gear?

This was supposed to turn me into Ravi Shankar:

– Spiritwalker

Definitely. Great story about Ravish Sitar. I've been there.

But the positive side of an overabundance of gear is that while pedals are one thing, top quality guitars and top quality amps from well-known makers generally hold their value over time.

So I don't look at it as a waste of money. Even though I don't intend to sell the stuff, its more like an art collection that I can play with.

But I do sometimes ask myself how many 100 watt amp heads I need for home use...

I see many talented players playing inferior equipment, this makes me feel a bit selfish for what I have

I know the feeling. The feeling I get when I drive my 1966 Mustang past folks waiting at a bus stop is similar.

I know we shouldn't feel that sense of some sort of guilt, but some of us do. Does that make us better people - we feel sympathy for others with less than us? - or does it make us just stupid?

I've reached that point. Not that the GAS doesn't exist, and not ruling out a future purchase or two, but I've reached the point of saying "enough ". One or two guitars may go up for sale soon as a one in / one out theory seems to make sense.

I used to think that people who constantly flip gear were nuts. Now I see the wisdom of tone-chasing and at least getting to try something for a while.

As simply a home hobbyist understanding his limitations, the ultimate goal would be to get down to one or two (maybe three) guitars, but that won't happen for a while.

For whatever reason, I just don't have the collector gene. Back in the 90s I may have been up to 8 amps and 8 guitars back when I had some seriously righteous vintage gear. But this century, although stuff often comes and goes at a manic pace, it's really 3 or 4 guitars max. But mainly it's just experimenting to find out what works best for what I play now, age now, etc.

It would be great if there were one guitar and one amp that Does It All (well maybe a Bassman can) but I have enough diverse stuff going on, that I have 4 small amps (one for battery use, playing bluegrass out in a field, etc). One acoustic, one bass, one electric ( w 3 pedals max ), and then one that changes (maybe a 12 string, maybe a project Gretsch) but that's about it.

I have far more music gear than my talent level justifies, but I look at it all as being 'leased'. I can't take it with me, so one day, it will all find new homes. Some will sell for a huge profit, some will sell for pennies on the dollar, and some will be donated (or dumped). As long as all of my other responsibilities are being covered, I have no issues with adding or upgrading what I might use and occasionally selling what I won't.

Wish list: 1. Baritone six string electric guitar
2. Octave mandolin
3. Neunaber Immerse Reverberator Pedal
4. TC Helicon VoiceLIve 3 Extreme

These are all 'maybe's at this point.

I have 3 amps,one isn't working, one is on consignment and the other sits here and gets played whenever i have the time.

I have 17 guitars and 2 pedals ,i quit gigging several years ago due to hearing and back problems.

If i didn't buy gear i'd probably buy a ridiculously fast car and loose my license,and that would be a waste of money.

Sadly i'm running out of space ,so i'm looking at one in ,one out, very very soon.

Our folk band ceased touring and performing nearly eight years ago.... It took me five of those years to sell the PA and light systems -at a tiny fraction of initial investment. Likewise the little home studio I operated for most of the 90's has been closed for some time and again, the gear that I could sell is long gone, though the most expensive pieces (Roland VS hard disk recorders) linger on on consignment at slowly dwindiing prices.

But the guitars.. they stay. They're still here, mostly taking up space in the basement room where the PA stuff used to live. Under some domestic pressure, I did manage to sell off the "backup" instruments over the course of a couple of years, but there are still nearly a dozen guitars in this house, and only about three of them ever get played these days- a Ric 12, a Strat and my Chet. Oh, I consigned the last F-body Fender acoustic to the RV for traveling. The rest, for the most part, are now officially my "collection". That's what Karen calls them.

More specifically, they're referred to as my "collectors", as in dust.

I plan to downsize.

Soon.

Honest.

When you're carrying it up three flights of stairs.....

I should have more amps.

Don't use pedals.

More guitars...no problem!

I just don't have the collector gene.

Oh, you are lucky. From sneakers to DVDs to something as dopey as gloves or bags for my boxing gym...one or two would be sufficient, but I go for as many as I can. Oooh, I don't have that color in my collection. Out comes the wallet. That collector gene is soooo powerful.:

As far as guitars, I use the "new one in, one must go" method. It can be a little painful at times, but if I really want to buy something, I just keep my promise to myself.

Amps, I have two, along with two heads and one cab. I went through the amp lust thing a long time ago, and sold most of them off.

I have more than an old amateur needs, but I've worked hard, and enjoy what I have, and appreciate it all.

As to the original question....

I'm trying to find out.

Right now, I definitely have WAY more than I "need".

I've been pretty blessed, so it is getting more difficult to find something else I really want to add to what I already have. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

I definitely have a problem. Last week I was tidying up, opening old storage boxes and discovered lots of stuff I had forgotten about. I found I had bought one pedal twice!! I need to have a clear-out (so I can buy more gear of course!)

Not beyond my abilities, and nothing wasted. But no band right now, so I'm a few amps over the limit. MD

I have more guitars than I need but not as many as I want.

I have way more than I need, almost as much as I want and no were near as much as I'm likely to have. I just glad I've limited this GAS business to guitar oriented stuff.

It's weird that I played drums professionally for years and never had this sort of GAS for drum stuff.

I look on "too much gear" as the threshold beyond which I cannot maintain everything properly. I'm really close to that threshold, too.

The "stuff I never use" category seems to me to be merely misfires in desire. It's a different flavor of indulgence.

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Yes. Every guitar and amp has a maintenance cost. I'm sure this can be estimated, say as a fraction of the value of the guitar or amp per year, or an increasing amount per year.

It is a high cost on 1960s Gretsches.

I've done some serious flipping over the past decade or so, probably 150 Guitars and about a quarter as many Amps, tons of pedals too. Recently I've cooled off quite a bit, just a few now with some Mandolins and Ukes for good measure because I play every day. I miss only few, but it was really fun and interesting to have owned and played them all. Prior to my last Divorce, it was classic Cars from the 50's and sixties......after a while I just got sick of sitting at Car Shows in my fold up chair with my Cooler answering questions......Shifting sands of life I guess, but there's no question about it....GAS is a very real thing, I keep telling myself I'll just do high end Gear, but I guess I really don't have the time especially now that I've got kids. That plus its not what it used to be, every person who has seen that Pickers show is digging through every Barn and Basement trying to strike it rich, Players and Non Players alike.......

I definitely have a problem. Last week I was tidying up, opening old storage boxes and discovered lots of stuff I had forgotten about. I found I had bought one pedal twice!! I need to have a clear-out (so I can buy more gear of course!)

– audept

Fortunately, I can still remember that I have all the stuff I do have. So I consider that maybe I'm not too overstocked after all! Seriously though, at 5 guitars, a couple of amps, a few stomp boxes and a basic home-studio setup, I think I may have a bit more than my fair share, but not too much more. I go through phases of playing this or that guitar, depending on my mood, but they all get used, and certainly plenty of love and attention, over a reasonable period of time. And as someone said, I also consider these instruments beautiful works of art that I can actually play with as well as look at. Best of both worlds. I still get GAS, but not nearly as acutely, or as frequently, as I have in the past. Mostly I'm satisfied now (except of course for that Fender '57 Tweed Deluxe RI)...

Do you have roadies?

– Billy Zoom

Well, I know you're not talking to me Billy, but I will say that having a personal roadie is something I too have thought about over the years. Any good used ones for sale, that you are aware of?

I've done some serious flipping over the past decade or so, probably 150 Guitars and about a quarter as many Amps, tons of pedals too. Recently I've cooled off quite a bit, just a few now with some Mandolins and Ukes for good measure because I play every day. I miss only few, but it was really fun and interesting to have owned and played them all. Prior to my last Divorce, it was classic Cars from the 50's and sixties......after a while I just got sick of sitting at Car Shows in my fold up chair with my Cooler answering questions......Shifting sands of life I guess, but there's no question about it....GAS is a very real thing, I keep telling myself I'll just do high end Gear, but I guess I really don't have the time especially now that I've got kids. That plus its not what it used to be, every person who has seen that Pickers show is digging through every Barn and Basement trying to strike it rich, Players and Non Players alike.......

– 949Norm

I was at my big brother's for Christmas, and we were talking about vehicles. I bought my truck ('65 Ford Custom Cab) in 1989, and he has owned about 50 cars in the same time period. I've never sold any of my guitars I've collected in the past 36 years, although I did go all Pete Townsend on a crappy beat-up acoustic at a scout campout, and loaned an Ibanez Electric (permanently, apparently) to a friend who sold his guitar to pay for some car repairs and needed something to play. I have bought a few pedals over the years which turned out to be junk, or a mistake.

Register Sign in to join the conversation