Miscellaneous Rumbles

Is there a way to mute people on this site?

Most simply, if you see the name, pass on by. That's about the only way I am aware of.

The same as real life, you know what to expect so you can read the post or not but I'd be curious if they are such a twonk in person.

Been around long enough to learn that a guy who comes across as a twonk is the one everybody else loves.

I promise not to mention Lemon Pledge again.

One man’s vitriol is another man’s passion. You can mute people you don’t like or agree with on Facebook and some people like that, but I don’t think it’s good for a community.

Here on the GDP all points of view are presented. There are some posts I skip over, but, for me, it’s valuable to have many points of view, opinions and attitudes presented, even when it makes me cringe.

That said, if you're seeing a lot of vitriol, send me a link. I probably need to know about it.

Here, use this tool. When something bothers you then use Wilma!

Consider a self-aware AI program with “self-mute” and “self-destruct” in its feedback loop. Has the BOT graphic representation shown any indication of pressing either or both of those buttons? if so, no action needs to be taken. If not, delete the BOT from the host system.

Vote down, instead of up.

Vote down, instead of up.

– Suprdave

This is the best way on the Gretsch Pages to deal with this issue. While it requires that you have read the vitriolic post first, if enough people join in with you, it does send a message loudly and clearly to the person posting the remarks that their remarks are not appreciated by the GDP community.

Most of us who use this site, and who have been using it for a duration of any significance, value the regard held for each of us by the community at large. That is something much like the goodwill of a business which, once lost, is very difficult to reacquire. Besides, many of us have friendships with other members that transcend the internet ether. Once that goodwill is lost, it can take a lot of time, expressions of regret, etc., before the member will once again be held with the due regard they were originally accorded.

So, shutting down someone's post, or even the entire thread if the poster created the thread, sends an eye-opening message, if the poster is oblivious to the error of their ways.

Testing...…………………..for those who really don't like what I've posted over the years, and are either irritated with me, or could care less if I'm on the GDP, vote this post down.

Pfft. Couldn't be you, JD.

This is the best way on the Gretsch Pages to deal with this issue. While it requires that you have read the vitriolic post first, if enough people join in with you, it does send a message loudly and clearly to the person posting the remarks that their remarks are not appreciated by the GDP community.

Most of us who use this site, and who have been using it for a duration of any significance, value the regard held for each of us by the community at large. That is something much like the goodwill of a business which, once lost, is very difficult to reacquire. Besides, many of us have friendships with other members that transcend the internet ether. Once that goodwill is lost, it can take a lot of time, expressions of regret, etc., before the member will once again be held with the due regard they were originally accorded.

So, shutting down someone's post, or even the entire thread if the poster created the thread, sends an eye-opening message, if the poster is oblivious to the error of their ways.

– Ric12string

Well said.

Testing...…………………..for those who really don't like what I've posted over the years, and are either irritated with me, or could care less if I'm on the GDP, vote this post down.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

This thread is clearly fostering para.... well, causing food for thought. I'm not alone.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

To the OP, this test is working.

At the present time, 4 votes up. This may go up, down, or get folded, depending on who reads it, wants to vote, etc.

Pretty good system that Baxter has concerning post content.

I'm sorry. I'll try to be more positive in the future.

– Proteus

About dang time Prot! LOL

Seriously though. I'm betting that on the worst days that you're having, you are still one of the most positive guys around.

Seriously though. I'm betting that on the worst days that you're having, you are still one of the most positive guys around. - J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Every time Proteus tries to put vitriol in one of his posts, it takes him two paragraphs to do it and the intended victim, and anyone else who reads it, winds up feeling better about themselves.

– Proteus

Proteus, you're an inspiration or, if this is you leading by example, good job. All this hullabaloo reminds me of the tensions going on in the latter stages of The Beatles and then of Ringo going from one to the other saying "Is it me?". And each of them replying in turn "Nah, I thought it was ME!". Tim, if I may call you that, you, Suprdave and several other key people here are the glue that holds this place together. And, to mix metaphors, you calm the waters that relegated outsiders like me sometimes stir up.

About dang time Prot! LOL

Seriously though. I'm betting that on the worst days that you're having, you are still one of the most positive guys around.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I voted all three of your posts "down"....you're welcome.

I just try to stick to the technical topics, avoid the rants, and use a more filterable form of social media/forum sites to interact with the good folks who post here.

I voted all three of your posts "down"....you're welcome.

– Toddfan

Thank you TF, I'll return the favor! lol

When I transitioned from Elementary School to Jr. High School, several sets of students came together from different neighborhoods. It was a brand new, large building. And the World was trying to forego the stigma of using A thru F for grades, and this new Mastery, Proficiency, Incomplete (M, P, I) measuring system was being implemented. Nobody could Fail...

We all had to integrate with others we did not know, along with those we had known for years. Soon after classes began, someone started passing around what was known as a "Slam Book". It was one of those White/Black mottled cover Composition Notebooks. It had a couple hundreds pages, and each page had the name of a student in our Class written at the top.

The Teachers did everything they could to find it, and destroy it.

If you were "cute", most of the posts were complimentary. If you were a "nerd", it was heartbreaking what people might write.

The funny thing was who would sign their name next to what they wrote, and most would be anonymous.

Everybody eventually got to read what was written about everyone.

Fast Forward to "Facebook Like"...or the GDP cast a Vote system, or other Social Media for that matter...

What's the difference?

Besides a couple hundred Billion dollar$...

I always grin when I see that after several votes up, there is an anonymous vote down...it reminds me of 7th Grade.

Hidden Objections or Accolades have never made sense to me, ... speak up, clear the air.

I know what you're saying, twang - the voting system can, superficially, seem something of a popularity contest; and from one perspective it seems cowardly not to own up to one's "vote."

Under the surface, though, I think there's a difference between the GDP's vote system and your junior high's Slam Book. In the Slam Book, some of the heedlessly cruelest creatures on the planet were passing judgment on whole people and their personalities. Here, at least as I understand it (and use it), we're not voting people up or down, we're rendering a personal judgment either on the content of a specific post, or on a member's behavior as demonstrated in that post (or both). At least I hope no one routinely votes anyone's posts up or down based solely on who that individual is, rather than on the content of the post itself. We're "voting" on ideas or behavior, not people.

There are certainly times when speaking up is the right thing to do - sometimes publicly. But I've found it more productive, if I seem to be having an ongoing issue with a particular member, to contact them via email outside the glare of the forum, and try to sort it out where neither of us is tempted to play to the gallery. We can be less defensive in private, and less given to posing or theatrics.

And I think there's a way in which a private vote can be a personal statement of "conscience" (or if that's too heavy for the context, say "true feelings"), whereas a public vote - be it a roll call or signing a petition - is a political act. It may or may not reveal the voter's true feelings. Dictators get 90% of the vote in rigged elections, because voters know they're being observed, and act politically - one reason the US and other democracies try to protect the privacy of the voting booth.

I wonder how different votes in Congress might be if they were takien privately rather than by roll call, where party leaders and constituents can see who tows the line and who dares to vote his conscience.

Register Sign in to join the conversation