Miscellaneous Rumbles

Is Punk Rock from the 70’s ,considered “Classic Rock” ?

I don't know. Is it punk to lip-synch to a fully-produced record?

I don't know. Is it punk to lip-synch to a fully-produced record?

– Proteus

Well the Ramones had a sense of humor. Check out the way they move, their whole look and the 50’s soundtrack.

Yes it’s punk rock.

This is punk rock.... and I’d dare say it’s classic...

I'm convinced that the term 'Classic Rock' was invented/created, in part, to distinguish aging rock of the 60s and 70s from what we know as 'Oldies' or 50s rock & roll.

I know it has been integral in radio airplay formatting, one of the earliest users of the term.
I've also noticed the 'Oldies' radio stations these days encompass not only the 50s, and into 60s pop, but even the more AM hits of the 70s.

'Classic Rock' seems to be more etheric, speaking of an era of popular music, rather than addressing its actual age. Mostly mid 60s to late 80s FM dial music, but more importantly; it had to enjoy a certain degree of popularity then.

I've never heard punk music played on any of the FM 'classic rock' stations in Chicago. No Ramones, no X, no Sex Pistols, .. The Pretenders or Elvis Costello is about as 'punk' as it gets with any of them.

– Edison

Someone at work had the radio on the local Classic Rock station ,when I heard Social Distortion and then The Ramones, soon followed by Led Zepplin and the usual 70's rock. WTF.

I asked ,"Hey is that the radio?" ,, yes it sure was.

It was like a Twilight Zone episode to me.

Someone at work had the radio on the local Classic Rock station ,when I heard Social Distortion and then The Ramones, soon followed by Led Zepplin and the usual 70's rock. WTF.

I asked ,"Hey is that the radio?" ,, yes it sure was.

It was like a Twilight Zone episode to me.

– LA_Manny

I get it.... it seemed like music of that time period was broken into many different categories. Looking back at it now it just all seems good. I suppose it’s because it was the time of my youth? But, it does seem that it is classic. Not to harp on today’s music, but something is missing and it was there during the classic period.

I wouldn't say 'classic rock' of the 70s was 'boomer music', but there is a lot of overlap and it's not a coincidence.

Just the fact that there was still an immense wave of youth culture coming of age then, with their own ideas and influences, increased the ratio in a way we had never previously experienced, and haven't since.

What was also unique about the 1970s was the wider variety of music, so many newer genres being explored and rabbit holes being dug. The 70s received the 60s momentum and saw an explosion of growth and talent in just about every conceivable way.

..Sure, there was also a ton of arguably awful music released in that decade, it was a prolific time and there was money to be made. But anything mundane was far out-ratioed by the impressive output of timeless albums, released by now legendary bands and songwriters. In hindsight it really is astonishing.

It was a perfect storm of sorts and it left us with some real treasures.
I wouldn't begrudge any Classic Rock FM DJ for spinning 'Blitzkrieg Bop' after ZZ Top or Billy Joel. That may not be the best on-air flow, but it illustrates the wide variety of music we enjoyed back then. What a cocktail.

Classic Rock was music that you heard.

Punk was music that you saw...

...mainly because it wasn't being played anywhere.

Register Sign in to join the conversation