Miscellaneous Rumbles

Is it hard to learn the accordion?

As in I'm getting crazy for zydeco.

As in the song from Amelie is in my head.

As in..

Well?

Is it?

K

"A gentleman is a man who can play the accordion, but doesn't."

Skip the accordions and just go straight to bagpipes.

Just remember-- perfect pitch on an accordion is when it clears the side of the trash bin and lands right next to the banjo.

It's easy.

Just move your fingers while pushing and pulling the bellows.

Bam! Now you're playing the accordion.

Next week; How to do Garage Open Heart Surgery.

There are many different types of accordions. Since you mentioned Zydeco I assume you'd want to learn to play a Cajun accordion (not a piano accordion). A Cajun has buttons, not keys like a piano and is diatonic.

Charlie--I have no idea!

Learning it is easier than getting your family and friends back.

Definition of a gentleman.

A man who can play the accordion, but chooses not to...

What's the difference between a trampoline and an accordion?
You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline.

I could never find the button for the 3rd chord in Lady of Spain.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Concertinas and accordions are just Polish bagpipes. In Poland, you're more likely to find a Hohner piano accordion, tho diatonic button types ought to be available as well. Can't play a good polka or oberek without a squeezebox. Diatonics are similar to harmonicas---suck and blow at the same time. Unless you plan on taking lessons, I'd just say to dive in and go with hit or miss, trial and error, till you find the music inside.

I love accordion, its the instrument of passion. I pity those without a heart to comprehend its beauty particularly as the soul of Jazz Manouche.

One other thing- accordions are not inexpensive. At least decent ones aren't.

And used ones can be a can of rather expensive worms to put back on the road.

Reeds dry out if unused for a while, then they change pitch and you can't re-tune, you gotta replace. Meantime, bellows crack and leak.... and repair shops are few and far between.

My guitar dealer also repairs accordions (turns out his Dad is world-recognized as a technician), to the point where the business actually makes more money from that than from retail sales.

Other than that, have fun!

All I know is that Flaco Jimenez would not be a known musician without the button accordian..

It will be very hard if you don't get one and get started.

My little town has strong German heritage, and in the last couple decades a great influx of Hispanics. It was a wake-up call (wheeze?) for me when I went to my first annual summer beer festival here and heard a truly kick-butt rockin' accordion band. Think greasy roots rock/funk/swamp crossed with polka. OMG. (And I never say OMG.) Soul-igniting. We've had bands from all over the midwest and Germany as well. Accordians rock.

Now that there's a Hispanic constituency, we get that sweeter more melodic squeezebox influence too.

I like it all.

You should get an accordion and pump it till something good comes out.

Proteus said: "You should get an accordion and pump it till something good comes out."

In the immortal words of Rocky the Flying Squirrel: "But that trick NEVER works!"

I love accordion, its the instrument of passion. I pity those without a heart to comprehend its beauty particularly as the soul of Jazz Manouche.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Great little band and the accordion fits in nicely. He sure can make it sing!

Michael Guerrera is another who plays accordion well. He tours a lot with the Mavericks. If you want a show worth seeing, find those guys nearby!! 6 times or so for my wife and I. We go anytime we can afford to!

Accordions get as bad of a reputation as organs. I love them both when done tastefully.

All I know is that Flaco Jimenez would not be a known musician without the button accordian..

– Parralax View

Flaco made the accordian cool.

Bad reputation? As an organist and pianist and sometime accordionist (of over 60 years), I love when guitars are tastefully done.

The Hamond B-3 is one of the most ubiquitous instruments in much of our popular music. Hammond also was a major force in developing spring reverb.

As to the manouche Jazz---it needs the accordion as much as it does the guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation