Miscellaneous Rumbles

Irma…Hurricanes in general

Almost onto the front porch...

This last Outer Band has been a train, and we are squared up with it. Mind you, the Eye, or what's left of it, is over 200 miles away!

Nobody knows what the Storm will do...Be Safe.

Looks like all the bad stuff has broken up. How is everyone?

Oh wow! We be Good!

Thru blind luck, the State of Florida dodged a super hot bullet! One of the fiercest storms in recorded history threaded the needle and missed all the major population centers and gave us swamp dwellers near the central east coast only a few fallen branches and some dangly loose siding! Huzzah!

We'uns also watched the Weather Channel thru much of it and was surprised at how none of the "Scientists" on board ever mentioned how Global Warming had made the storm much more dangerous than it would have been had we not dumped all those evil waste products into our atmosphere these last couple centuries raising air temperatures and water temperatures and contributing to sea level rise. Even Weather Underground, now that they are owned by the Weather Channel, never mentions it anymore either. Glances at ABC and CBS for example also didn't mention it.

Shucks, even the Pope considers our National Obsession with Head in the sand Climate Change Denial as "Stupid" and blindly Ignorant. Are we really that Ignorant and Stupid? Are we? Is our beloved Golden Calf of Coal and Oil simply covered in gold leaf?

I wonder.

Our lightly damaged home misses the good ol' days of kinder gentler storms. Good Luck can't last forever!

That claim just isn't factual and probably why it wasn't mentioned. This storm formed over cooler water than usual and #7 on the charts with a bullet.

I'm happy for those that sustained little or no damage and feel awful for those that have damage.

We as a species need to get that black fear cloud out of our lives and think good thoughts, hug dogs, walk babies...

Climate Science is cool! ....but heating up!

97% of Climate Scientists who insist that Global Warming is actually happening and we fossil burning folks are much to blame, submit their findings for peer review and independent study by others in their fields. If everyone is in agreement, they publish their data in final form. It's not opinions, it's state of the art actual data taken from easy to interpret constantly improving monitoring devices in and on the sea and on land and in space. It's not Rocket Science.

....well, some of it is.

The other 3% who disagree with them spend most of their time, it seems, trying to discredit the other 97% with cleverly worded arguments concerning funding and stuff, and anecdotal charts and graphs that cause folks to spend an inordinate amount of time explaining whether the 3% data submitted is even important to the discussion.

It's like winning a B Ball game 97 to 3 and calling the winners a bunch of bums for giving the losers three points and coercing the winners into explaining in detail why the three points were surrendered in the first place and why the 97 points originally awarded should still stand!

When the Florida state lottery got going real good a few years back, I prayed that I would win millions! Week after week I looked at the data and the chances of winning big and prayed that I would win! I acted on the data and prayed I would win!

An Angel came to me in a dream one night with a message from his/her Boss: "Meet me half way! Buy a Ticket"!

I'm not smart enough to know what's going on but I see tons of cash on both sides of the argument which is never good or honest.

I look at the facts, just the facts and what you stated above is in accurate and emotional. I'm on the fence until someone gives me a bucket of cash or proves something. I grew up with pictures of the Chicago skyline covered in ice and that was wrong.

This piece of wood from the schoolhouse tells a story and shows the Little Ice Age, I can connect the dots.

This tree started to grow over 300 years ago.

One of the things that's so much fun with climate science is just how many folks contribute to it. Paleontologists add pertinent data from times long before we folks roamed the Earth. Astronomers give us data on how our motion thru the Cosmos effects the output of the Sun and our planets orientation to the Sun going back a long long way. Folks read Tree rings and Ice Cores from all over. Ocean sediments add their own nuances on history and events, and folks looking at layers in the Grand Canyon and other gorges help fill in the blanks. Elements decay in distinct ways and help us date events quite accurately.

That ever growing mass of data going back millions and even billions of years is broken down and helps explain some of the quirks of nature that seem unsporting of Global Warming but when put in context reinforce what we know and what we think we know. What we know is growing exponentially but is threatened to be halted by those who wish to maintain the status quo. NASA has been notified that it can look out in Space all it wants and it's funding will be maintained, but if they continue to look back at the Earth, expect a reduction. Additional cuts are planned in grants given to folks who study the Earth and the effects on it caused by human activities.

We know what happened the last time the CO2 levels went over 400 and why, and it ain't pretty. We know what caused mass extinctions in the past .....oops. We don't want another one!

Wall Street is even getting nervous. There is a group of EXXON/Mobil investors that is suing EXXON for not telling them of the damage their product is causing to the Earth and that as soon as folks find out, the value of their stocks may plummet. It seems EXXON/Mobil published two sets of data over the years, one that shows global warming, published in peer reviewed publications on the science side, and Advertisements in major Newspapers aimed at the public stating all's well.

Atlantic City and South Miami also come to mind. These days, if ya visit there during high tide under a full moon, be sure to stay on high ground or yer gonna get yer feet wet!

I live on the ocean in NJ and once again you're making things up. Try preaching your agenda with facts so someone might add credibility to your myths.

You are absolutely right, sir! I have never been to Atlantic City at high tide during a full moon!

I believe I'll quit while you're ahead!

Cheers!

Okay but it has nothing to do with someone be ahead or not as it's inconclusive science. I think it's about using real numbers and not being motivated by an agenda.

Offered as a data point, for anyone who cares to read it:

NJ sea level rise, past observations + future estimates, from Rutgers University

– geoguy

Thanks for that, am I right in thinking that after Sandy they are claiming higher sea levels as opposed to erosion? I would assume that erosion would minimally reduce sea level considering more of a drop off than a gentle slope. After a nor'easter we lose beach but nature has always repaired the damage. The same with Sandy, over the past few years we have been making gains which are slow but steady. Winter waves transport the sand out and spring waves bring it back in.

Man has been screwing with the beaches in NJ for a long time and have created damage as a result. Jetty's were harmful as they disrupted the natural sand flow that constantly moves up the coastline. Sandy Hook is a spit formed from the moving sand.

Plate techtonics also have to be considered when using such a vast timeline, I didn't notice any reference.

Thanks for posting that piece from Rutgers.

It says observed sea level rise in NJ is due to 1) global sea level rise from global warming, 2) subsidence, and 3) in some places, compaction from ground water removal and "Natural processes" which sounds like it could include erosion.

It says #1 and #2 are responsible for 12" of sea level rise, while in some places #3 is responsible for up to 4" more.

Subsidence is interesting to ponder. The idea is that Northern Canada is still slow rising in response to the loss of the great continental ice sheet 8,000 years ago. As this part of the continent rises, another part sinks, including NJ.

I just can't believe that anyone would doubt that we are warming the planet. Why would anyone make this stuff up? It's happening. People like to think the world is so big that that we can do what we want without consequence. Well it's not, and to give some perspective on how thin our atmosphere is, think of somewhere which is 5 miles from you right now. Not that far - you could walk it easily. Now think of that distance directly above you. If you went 5 miles up the air is so thin you would die. The atmosphere is not that thick and dense that we can keep pouring crap into it.

The reason scientists tell us that the fossil fuels we burn are warming the planet is because they are. We want somewhere safe for our kids to grow up in. Why would anyone make this up??

Consensus is not science.

Instead of blindly accepting group-think, I implore you to do your own research.... lots of evidence to the contrary out there, that should be considered and not dismissed out-of-hand. Before making a decision on an issue, you should gather ALL the information- not just that which is fed to you- and form your own opinion instead of accepting those of group-think.

And don't bother addressing me, F107- I refuse to go round-and-round with you lol.

I just can't believe that anyone would doubt that we are warming the planet. Why would anyone make this stuff up? It's happening. People like to think the world is so big that that we can do what we want without consequence. Well it's not, and to give some perspective on how thin our atmosphere is, think of somewhere which is 5 miles from you right now. Not that far - you could walk it easily. Now think of that distance directly above you. If you went 5 miles up the air is so thin you would die. The atmosphere is not that thick and dense that we can keep pouring crap into it.

The reason scientists tell us that the fossil fuels we burn are warming the planet is because they are. We want somewhere safe for our kids to grow up in. Why would anyone make this up??

– JimmyR

Why I don't believe either side? Follow the money, people have made billions of dollars on both sides of this discussion. I also know that if your told something is factual enough times you'll start to believe it without doing your own due diligence.

Whatever happened to question authority? Why is this a political issue that separates people because of political party? Why did NASA falsify temperature data?

I encourage people to have an open mind and to be civil discussing this. There are a lot of false fake news facts on both sides, don't get caught up in the politics.

What I have always found interesting is that, most (or all) of the people who believe in "man-made global warning", who believe man CAN and IS having an effect on the atmosphere, start ridiculing and "tin foil hat-calling" anyone who discusses chemtrails.... which is man-made atmospheric experiments. So chemtrails are lunacy, but man-made global warming is absolutely, inarguably true. Check yourself.

As with most things, BOTH of these issues have truth AND falsities in them. But to to wholly believe one, hook-line-and-sinker, while wholly disregarding the other, is the height of illogic and hypocrisy.

I'll bet alot of you actually believe that Rush Limbaugh said Hurricane Irma was a "liberal hoax", LOL.... because that's what you were TOLD to believe. Welcome to 1984.

Curt, with all respect, when did NASA falsify temperature data? I don't believe this happened.

This is a political issue because one party is dominated by fossil fuel money. Oil companies stand to lose a lot if we are actually to address climate change. Trillions of dollars in proven reserves will be rendered worthless.

Republicans used to accept climate science, but now they don't, since they will be punished if they do.

Perhaps but I don't think that's the case. I might go for we don't have a better option right now so we have to deal with what we have and make the best of it. Organizations like NASA are constantly fighting to stay alive struggling to get their share of tax dollars. It's not much of a leap to make a "mistake" on an algorithm.

I go back to my tree which yes it's a very minute sample of data but it dispels most of todays current agenda.

This is interesting. http://www.businessinsider....

I leave you with something I think we can all laugh with or at.

George was definitely the "Rantmeister".

I especially like the one about Constitutional Rights...was his last before he died.

Saw him in Vegas years ago, lots of fun...

I repeat this often:

Heaven

British Police, French Chefs, German Auto Mechanics, Swiss Hotel Keepers, Italian Lovers

Hell

British Chefs, French Hotel Keepers, German Police, Swiss Lovers, Italian Auto Mechanics

I adore that a post about doing one's own research, free of the influence of political agenda, is illustrated with a graphic from a website that just MIGHT have a political agenda.

I adore that a post about doing one's own research, free of the influence of political agenda, is illustrated with a graphic from a website that just MIGHT have a political agenda.

– Proteus

What's the source got to do with it? Did you let the COMMENT "sink in?" I'll bet not.

FWIW, I don't even know the source. But if we want to disqualify every bit of thought based purely on it's "source", well then... EVERYTHING can be made invalid, quite easily, as NO source has zero agenda, NO source is always correct, NO source is free of bias.

Which is EXACTLY WHY my point STANDS:

I'll repeat: look at ALOT of sources, not just ones that you agree with, or ones that you already know will say what you expect, or ones that you have listened to exclusively for years. there's PLENTY of scientific evidence against the issues being discussed. Don't close your mind, don't participate in group-think.

Or do. I don't care. No skin off my nose. People are learning and waking up, and not just buying everything the current zeitgeist and mainstream media is feeding them.

Register Sign in to join the conversation