Miscellaneous Rumbles

Irma…Hurricanes in general

I agree that global warming is happening but the doing something about it part has me struggling. Sure we should be more concerned about our quality of air and everything that goes into the earth and our water but if we are doing so much damage now, why didn't the earth warm up a bunch back in the 1800's when everyone used coal heat in every home? I know we have automobiles and more industry and such but it was a very dirty time, back then, too.

Early industry may seem dirty by modern American standards - but the early industrial revolution was pretty localized. World population has increased near-exponentially in 200 years, with worldwide demands for power and vastly expanded industry.

Cumulative effects eventually overwhelm the capacity of natural systems to maintain something like equilibrium.

I have concurred with that thought many times, any link to Global Warming is caused by too many Humans, not so much what we are doing, just too many.

Then, I happened to watch this Movie, "Kingsman:The Secret Service", and it made my thoughts seem sinister...

Then, I happened to watch this Movie, "Kingsman:The Secret Service", and it made my thoughts seem sinister...

I love that movie. Lots of fun.

Yup, the World was a pretty nifty place when we got here! Nature had put millions and millions of acres of forests on our only Planet to help suck the excess CO2 from the atmosphere and give us nice fresh Oxygen to breath. The Oceans had talented critters that gobbled up the CO2 and turned it into their shells and skeletons. Flora and fauna died and was buried underground and in the permafrost for eons where their dead carcasses stored all that excess carbon in the form of coal and oil and natural gas.

We'uns came along and cut down the forests to make room for wheat fields and soy fields and battle fields and cities and soccer stadiums!

We burrowed into the ground and dug up the stored Carbon that Nature had hidden away all those years ago and burned it and put it back into the Atmosphere where the layers of CO2 and Methane in the atmosphere pass Sunlight through to the ground and oceans, but block the heat from the sun from getting back out.

The ocean critters that gobble up the carbon don't like the more acidic warmer water and the effects of runoff either, and they stop reproducing or just lose their shells and skeletons! Bummer for them! Bummer for us too!

So, when the diminished forests no longer suck up as much CO2, and the sea critters can no longer suck up the CO2, it stays behind. In the Atmosphere. Raising temperatures on land and in the oceans.

Are we human folks to blame for rising air and ocean temperatures? I dunno, what do y'all think?

I blame procreation.

– Suprdave

Absolutely! In the most populated country on Earth they are actively trying to limit the numbers of their new born citizens! Smart!

Here in the US, though, our elected Federal Govt. officials and half the States are actively trying to add even more to the population by blocking all available methods of controlling procreation, short of aspirin....

....held between the knees.

Oh wow. Hurricane Ophelia, a Cat 3 Hurricane off the coast of Portugal.

Now that's something ya don't see everyday!

....nobody has. Best guess? ....ever. Not in recorded Human existence, anyway.

Ophelia is heading towards England and Ireland of all places. Portugal and Spain are getting some serious rain.

NOAA needs a bigger Map!

Watching Ophelia go right off the map shows that NOAA had no idea when they first drew up their maps that Hurricanes could go right on up and off the edge, and visit elsewhere!

Who Knew?!

....EXXON/Mobil knew! Shell Oil Knew! BP knew! The Coal Company owners who weren't too busy Lobbying for reduced safety standards to read the climatology data, knew.

We all didn't know.

Opheila beat the crap out of parts of Ireland and Scotland. It has sucked dust up from the Sahara and smoke from massive forest fires in Portugal and Spain, the colour of the sky yesterday was er well orange.

Aye,weird sky yesterday!

3 fatalities in the Republic sadly.

Lots of trees down here in Northern Ireland,but where i live it wasn't that bad,a few years ago with just regular blustery weather it was crazy,i thought the roof was coming off, it was unnerving at times. During that same night one of those window vents came loose and opened ,it was like a freight train coming through my bedroom,scared the bejeezus outta me!

1st hurricane in Ireland since 1939. Hope all of you are safe.

And what a shock it was this morning to check on new Atlantic storms and see: "Category 3 Typhoon batters Japan"! ....Cat 3, THIS late in the season?

Appears to have tracked right over Tokyo. Sure hope the storm had degraded a lot by the time it traveled over land to get there.

Ireland last week and Japan today. What unusual weather. Or is it "Climate"?

....maybe both, maybe neither. Sure hope folks stayed safe.

I agree that global warming is happening but the doing something about it part has me struggling. Sure we should be more concerned about our quality of air and everything that goes into the earth and our water but if we are doing so much damage now, why didn't the earth warm up a bunch back in the 1800's when everyone used coal heat in every home? I know we have automobiles and more industry and such but it was a very dirty time, back then, too.

– Suprdave

Think of this in terms of quantity. I once said "Hey I deadlifted 135 lbs. yesterday but when I went up to 325, I suffered a back strain". It's the same motion with the same product but the increased weight was the root cause.

Of course my point is that the quantity of carbon elements released in the air has increased. I do not have the numbers but many signs were that the industrial age kicked it off. I have statistics and measurements and empirical data that illustrates the effect of the substance with the quantities released thru the decades and how the earth's climate has reacted.

There are other factors like the decimation of rain forests and other variables. Think of a man in his 20s who drinks a little too much. By the age of 55 that man now consumes an amount of alcohol that doctors have advised are dangerous. Take into effect that man, with the culmination of a few decades and we see he has a poor diet and at 5'11", he is obese at 265 lbs. He was told his triglycerides were extremely high at the age of 40. He has since suffered a bought of pancreatitis and is now diabetic. Why? The material, amount, time as stressed the ecosystem of his body to where it has life threatening damage.

Of course it does not help that most on both sides, excluding scientists, know how and why carbon dioxide is dangerous. The element itself creates heat is the beginning of that answer and how it interacts with the balance of the other elements in our atmosphere is the next step in the study.

The "why" is easy to explain. The detail that supports it is quite detailed.

Aw rats, a quick look at NOAA shows the potential of another one heading into the Gulf of Mexico here in a few days.

Back to watching the skies.

I also see that Nicaragua has come on board in joining the Paris Climate Accord. They originally didn't wanna sign on cuz they thought it wasn't strong enough, but since it's the only game in town.....

That means that only the US and Syria don't "Believe" in Man Made Climate Change.

At least we're in good company!

....global warming sea level rise is causing problems even farther inland from the coasts. The waters of the Chesapeake Bay are backing up into Washington DC causing the swamps in and around the City to fill with some of the most vile and disturbing creatures imaginable. The entire World is taking notice.

The Kitty Hawk was built in the early 60s and had a fairly good air conditioning system. Where my berthing compartment was was just below the flight deck amidships, so we were far away from the boilers and engine rooms. (since we often had airplanes taking off and landing on our roof, I spent a lot of time sleeping in my work space out at sea) But many of the other berthing spaces were down two decks below the hanger deck and there were times when we were sailing in warmer climates that the Mess Decks where we ate chow one deck below the hanger deck was a bit warmer than I'd appreciate!

When the Viet Nam conflict began we found that many of our electronics spaces were overheating due to extended periods cruising in hot weather and the next time in port for an extended period found us installing stand alone air conditioners in those spaces, I had a one megawatt sea water cooled Klystron to worry about and when the sea water got too hot, the fresh water for the heat exchanger would blow seals and I'd have to run down (and UP!!) 14 decks twice a day to get five gallons of fresh water from the engine room to keep the level up! Next time back in the States they sent a crew of experts on board and solved the seal problem, whew! In addition to the Klystron and the fairly massive TWT tube, all the rest of the System was.....tubes! Yes! Including a rudimentary tube COMPUTER!

Later we discovered digital and analog/digital converters to tie our analog systems to the Digital World out there, which I went back to school to join. To be honest? Tubes were a lot more fun than Transistors! But yeah, they did produce some heat.

Thinking about it.....

A fella I went to school with was stationed on a Cruiser a bit more modern (later WW2) than the Indianapolis, but after visiting him in San Diego in the summer I gotta admit that the open dormitory berthing areas they had were a lot less comfortable than what we had. Yup, heat AND humidity. Later his ship was called to action in the South China Sea as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if they went in for an Air Conditioning update. I should qualify it by saying I only spent about ten minutes in that space one time, so......also they oft times called her Barracks 73 since she only got underway often enough to qualify for Sea Stores Cigarettes. (A dollar a carton for regulars and a dollar ten a carton for filters.) so I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't on shore power with the Boilers cold at the time I was aboard. So yup, I can imagine in the days before modern air conditioning in the heat of the Philippine sea, it must have been miserable indeed!

– F107plus5

I was on Oriskany for about a year going in. It was hot, cramped, stank, and rolled like a horse in grass. It took me 4 weeks to overcome seasickness on that tub.

I spent the next 3 full years on Constellation. The Ritz Carlton in comparsion. But I do remember some hot spaces with window unit air conditioners facing the passageways, with condensate buckets under them....Flight Deck... Hot as Hades, and only a really livable place in a rainstorm, which thankfully came quite often in the Gulf of Tonkin..Later off of Korea, one would almost pay to have the hood of a tow tractor that had been running for a while to lay on to grab a cat nap. One thing about those romantic carriers....you work like a slave if you are Air Department...

I was on Oriskany for about a year going in. It was hot, cramped, stank, and rolled like a horse in grass. It took me 4 weeks to overcome seasickness on that tub.

I spent the next 3 full years on Constellation. The Ritz Carlton in comparsion. But I do remember some hot spaces with window unit air conditioners facing the passageways, with condensate buckets under them....Flight Deck... Hot as Hades, and only a really livable place in a rainstorm, which thankfully came quite often in the Gulf of Tonkin..Later off of Korea, one would almost pay to have the hood of a tow tractor that had been running for a while to lay on to grab a cat nap. One thing about those romantic carriers....you work like a slave if you are Air Department...

– Parralax View

I remember the Oriskany! .....sort of.

When Nam first started and F8s were still in use, she had one shot at and hit and it made it to the Kitty Hawk instead of back home. Folks on our flight deck had lotsa fun with spray paint! "Kitty Hawk: home for Wayward Birds!" was one piece of graffiti I recall quite clearly!

Kitty Hawk and Connie were sister ships of course and what went for one probably pretty much went for the other as well, but as far as cruises to the Tonkin Gulf were concerned, the shitty kitty had the advantage. We went over in the Winter! Our normal cruises were like November thru June, or thereabouts. I'd wander up on the Island structure to watch flight opps now and then or set my coffee cup on the rail on the catwalk on the flight deck starboard side near the island and watch underway replenishment, and it wasn't too bad at all watching those poor folks on the destroyers alongside trying to keep from getting washed overboard. Rough seas in the winter! My Coffee hardly sloshed at all! The weather was almost always reasonably pleasant. Off Japan around the Holidays going into Yoko, sometimes even Cold!

We Black Shoes had it a little easier, at least in the Terrier Missile Battery and associated Fire Control and NTDS. As long as the system was up and running well we hadda pretty much leave the equipment alone and let CIC keep control cuz of course, we were in a war zone. We had tracking exercises and pretended to shoot down our own aircraft a lot, all the while working in spaces designed to keep the electronics cool. We did have ONE (only one) occasion close in on Yankee Station where a MiG 21 was ground vectored in between our CAP and aggressively heading our way while NTDS was tracking it ship to ship where our Radar was presented to other ships to quietly track the bad guy till he got in range of the USS Long Beach who didn't even light off her Fire Control Radar till the last possible second and it was too late for the MiG to evade! "Long Beach advises 'Missiles Away' "! Good shot, dudes! Although gotta admit; we'd have liked to have taken the shot ourselves!

Register Sign in to join the conversation