Miscellaneous Rumbles

I’m Ready for Spring!

I'm with you on this one too, Don! I'm sitting on my front porch with a cup of coffee right now, enjoying the hummingbirds coming back and forth to the feeder. It's a nice morning, 62°F at the moment with a nice breeze and a forecasted high of 69°F. It's our payoff for sweating out the 115°F days of summer, when the cold water taps run warm water.

Where I live, the relative humidity in summer is pretty low and temperatures rarely make it into the low nineties. Usually, the hot days of summer are in the low Eighties. Summers are truly a delightful time of year around here.

I’m with Bob. I spent my later teens and twenties backpacking the Sierras. Always knew I’d live here. It looks just like the picture above and stretches 400 miles.

Snow melts.

This is the way to Truckee, just 20 miles or so, you know, remember that Dinner Party thing?

Springtime in the Sierra Nevada.

I am so over the snow. Bring on the warmth of summer!

Don’t head West! Chain control in effect.

Kid you not, I’m a descendant of some of the surviving members of the Donner party. You know what that means....

It does explain my affinity for a good steak.

You guys should know by now, the general rule of living in the Sierras...It can snow anytime until May 17. At least that was our experience living in Tahoe.

Those photos are all so beautiful. The color of that sky? You lucky dogs is all I have to say.

It has snowed here on July 4th before, Miss Deed.

It has snowed here on July 4th before, Miss Deed.

– Ric12string

I just wanted to give you a little false hope. xx

18 more inches for Truckee this weekend?....geez....

NWS (nominal) vs. TWC ( 12-18 in.)....

Weather Channel placing a big bet!

After 15 years of living in the Midwest, I was tired of snow.

I tied my snow shovel to the hood of my truck and drove west until someone said "Hey, what's that on your hood?"

Then I knew I was home.

After 15 years of living in the Midwest, I was tired of snow.

I tied my snow shovel to the hood of my truck and drove west until someone said "Hey, what's that on your hood?"

Then I knew I was home.

– Timthom62

Now THAT is the right approach to long range planning!

The photographs of the Sierras are breath taking!

Snowing on the west slope of the Sierras again tonight. Where’s my summer?

This is never gonna end.

Yeah, they closed I-80 the other night....Chain Controls otherwise.

6500 feet was about our lowest snowline on either the Peavine or Carson Range.

....been snowing in Truckee since yesterday!

We have been wanting to get up to the Lake, 10+ degrees cooler, damp, 3 inches of Snow overnight!

Whiteout over the pass this morning.

I think I-80 needs a 45 mile tunnel...if the Brits and French can Chunnel, we should be able at least hire the Swiss to come over!

EDIT: We are now having a flurry....

There will be no Spring, maybe no Summer....

I kinda expect this weather in March and April. It was amazing last Sunday at Tahoe.

We are really behind, few spans of nicer days.

Winter went 6 weeks deeper, now taking 6 weeks longer to climb out.

Biggest Winter in years around here, everything is as green as can be...my itty-bitty lawn looks like Augusta National!

I think I-80 needs a 45 mile tunnel...if the Brits and French can Chunnel, we should be able at least hire the Swiss to come over!

EDIT: We are now having a flurry....

There will be no Spring, maybe no Summer....

– Twangmeisternyc

If you didn't have $hit luck you wouldn't have any at all.

I'm convinced we have already passed the point of no return on climate change, and that predictable weather patterns throughout most of the world are but fond memories.

Blizzards, wildfires, tornadoes in places that never used to have them, Mega-force hurricanes --- welcome to the new reality.

May and October used to be the warm summer months in the SF Bay Area. This year we didn't even get a real spring --- more winter storms this past weekend.

Something that the weather folks need to re-evaluate and re-define, or I'd prefer, drop altogether, is use of the term "once in a hundred year" storm. That term and other "once in a ...." expressions not longer have relevance, given the wild swings the world's weather is and has been taking for awhile now. With severity of weather increasing, there's an awful lot of folks suffering from over the top weather events that their areas haven't experienced in a very long time or ever. It'll be interesting to see what this year's tornado season, in particular, brings given the snowstorms and flooding the past months.

Register Sign in to join the conversation