Miscellaneous Rumbles

I’m Ready for Spring!

The people who fearlessly earn a living forecasting weather for the Sierra Nevada are at it again. This time, they are predicting ten straight days of snow and are suggesting that, when this series of storms finally blows through, we may have received 200" (that 16 2/3 feet) of snow in February alone! Typical snowfall in February is only 72".

Oh my. Is spring here yet?

Crazy weather forecast report

So. No drought in the valley this year.

When the melt comes, say on June 15, you'll be able to surf down the streams. Get your summer fun in before winter comes again around August?

My roof would not survive that kind of snow.

I have been chatting up Ric12 about our Snow...figured it was only a matter of time before he cracked...

We are 2 1/2 times Yearly Average already for Snow Removal 30 minutes from Ric12 here on the other side at Verdi...something more than 5 1/2 feet. Many of the Storms we were lined up with the I-80/Donner/River/Railroad gap...that really brings it!

We have been getting a fair amount of rain, too, that would have been another couple feet.

Pineapple Express now coming, that is something more than an Atmospheric River I guess...another 1 1/2 feet by Saturday.

The last three weeks have been crazy here in Wisconsin. After a very mild December and most of January, it appears that winter is making up for lost time and then some with a vengeance. The Madison schools are extraordinarily reluctant to close. Rarely do they have more than one snow day per year. There have been seven in the last three weeks. In a two week stretch, my daughter only had three days of school. Courts have been closed for days on end, which is something I've never seen once in 15 years of practicing.

My little town is an absolute mess. We got quite a bit of snow through last weekend, and had a day or two respite. Now, however, it began to snow again last night and this morning, but the snow has turned to heavy rain. So, the large berms of snow simply serve as barriers to prevent the rain water from finding places to soak into the ground or otherwise drain away from heavily trafficked areas. Everywhere you walk is under water. Any low spot in the roads has collected huge amounts of water that your car sends spraying on each side as you plow through it.

I think that you are correct, Proteus, that there is unlikely to be a drought this summer. If I recall correctly, several days ago, we were close to 150% of our normal snowpack for this time of year. We would have to get no more snow or rain from here on out in order to experience a drought this summer. And that ain't happening if you saw the weather forecast that I linked to above. Ten more days of snowfall are in the forecast. Ugh.

Last night Redding Ca received 14” of snow.

This place can get up to 120 degrees in the summer. Tonight it’s supposed to unleash again.

I live on the western slope of the Sierras, about 4000’ below Ric12string. Opposite side of the pass from Twangmeisternyc. No snow here yet, but lots of rain, rock slides and falling pines. Both forks of the American River on the rise. Was planning on going to Reno to see The Rev tomorrow, but the snow and traffic over the pass is forbidding.

Groundhog said we've got at least 5 weeks more left to go.

I live on the western slope of the Sierras, about 4000’ below Ric12string. Opposite side of the pass from Twangmeisternyc. No snow here yet, but lots of rain, rock slides and falling pines. Both forks of the American River on the rise. Was planning on going to Reno to see The Rev tomorrow, but the snow and traffic over the pass is forbidding.

– Powdog

Send me your tickets! I can make it there! LOL

Groundhog said we've got at least 5 weeks more left to go.

– wabash slim

I've put a hit job out on the ground hog. I don't think that I can take 10 days of nonstop snow.

Pitchers and Catchers reported today,Spring Training baby!

Bob, I will not tell you about our 65-70 degree weather, I won't be that cruel because you will throw it back in my face come July.

Seriously, you'd better lay in a good supply of food. People have been known to do really strange things there when they run out.

From the looks of things, Bob is still going to be shoveling snow in July.

Kind of puts a damper on the whole July 4th celebration.

Bob, I will not tell you about our 65-70 degree weather, I won't be that cruel because you will throw it back in my face come July.

Seriously, you'd better lay in a good supply of food. People have been known to do really strange things there when they run out.

– Don Birchett

They certainly have --- "Donner, party of 28, your table is ready ... Donner, party of 27 .... 26 ... 25 ...."

Who ordered the ladyfingers?

Holy crap Batman!!!!!!! I hope you survive the next two weeks, Bob! Keep sending updates....as long as you can.

I wonder what percentage of structures are buried and lot to view from the air? A storm back in the '60's in Vermont lost 90% of all structures in the state to overhead viewing!

– Proteus

Puts a whole new spin on the term "Family Dining".

– Proteus

Are they preparing a rump roast?

At the turnoff to go to the lodge where we held Round-Up for several years, there is the Donner Party Memorial Picnic Area. Something just wrong with that.

Took my wife to the Donner party. She had a ball.

Are they preparing a rump roast?

At the turnoff to go to the lodge where we held Round-Up for several years, there is the Donner Party Memorial Picnic Area. Something just wrong with that.

– Don Birchett

No there isn't. We need more dark humor --- especially these days!

Register Sign in to join the conversation