Miscellaneous Rumbles

I’m getting old

I'd still rather go to a 6 hour Dead concert (I've done about 40---didn't I see you at Soldiers' Field, Afire? Or in the parking lot afterwards?) than sit thru half an hour of pop princess de jour or the latest "boy band". If they don't play instruments, they can't be a band, just a vocal group. Dancers/calisthenics workout groups in goofy clothes don't make any music either. The Today Show, or CBS weekend show, always has a new "band" featured which usually sucks (and I'm being kind in that assessment). Remaking a past hard rock tune with a girl singer with a tiny little voice doesn't cut it, either. Thankfully, I've got plenty of CDs and LPs that still have great music on them.

Audio starts @ 14sec

– SLICKFASTER

Now that's a blues jam!

I'm like some jam bands, but not all the jamming. I love the Grateful Dead, but found staying awake at the concerts a challenge. To be fair, that wasn't entirely the band's fault. Might have had something to do with my tailgating activities in the parking lot. But I'll never regret going. I caught them in Chigago in '94 and '95 the summers after my freshmen and sophomore years in college, the second time being their last show ever. To be at Dead shows at the ages of 19 and 20 during the peak of the '90s hippie revival was a good place to be.

– Afire

But not NEARLY as good as being at Dead shows in '68 and '69 at the peak of their adventurous era. With Pig Pen.

I did fall asleep for a while at one of their New Year's Eve Shows at Winterland, but that was the Keith and Donna Godchaux era, which was much less invigorating.

But not NEARLY as good as being at Dead shows in '68 and '69 at the peak of their adventurous era. With Pig Pen.

I don't doubt that.

I did fall asleep for a while at one of their New Year's Eve Shows at Winterland, but that was the Keith and Donna Godchaux era, which was much less invigorating.

I don't doubt that either.

I'm in agreement with Toxo, I've jammed with some really good musicians, but after a minute or two things run on too much. I tend to enjoy structure, with everyone on the same page. I like to keep the jam session short, as a warm up, before getting down to business.

There's still only two kinds of music.

There's still only two kinds of music.

– Proteus

Loud and louder still?

Good and bad - irrespective of the percentage of improv (or length of the performance).

Aches and pains are up, over here. Hearing and eyesight are down.

Loud and louder still?

– Ric12string

Country, and Western!

Register Sign in to join the conversation