Miscellaneous Rumbles

I’m getting old

Or do I just have good taste? Went to a local show tonight, loved the opening band! They were a really run,funky 3 piece band, very tight with lots of dynamics. The headliner was a “jam” band and well... they sucked! As individuals they were good musicians, but all 5 of them did nothing but “jam” over everyone else, all the time. I had to walk out to save my throbbing head.

I have come to the conclusion that not even the best musicians can improvise for over a minute in any given song and still have something worthwhile to say. The thing is the best musicians usually know when NOT to jam as they are aware of what makes a song work, also they tend to be sensitive to the audience/band relationship. I would say definitely good taste.

I remember going to a Poco concert in 1970 or 71. The opening act was a local group "Beans." Several of them went on to become the Tubes. Anyway, they played but one song and it lasted for an hour. One song. I don't care what the song is or how great the musician/jam, it was physically and aurally taxing and not enjoyable at all.

I thought this topic would be about how many times we have to get up during the night to use the bathroom, haha... (something we actually discussed at work this morning, LOL!)

Speaking of long songs; my wife and I went on a blues cruise a few years ago. The first act was one of my favourite Norwegian blues guys, and his trio started playing about an hour after the ship left Oslo. We hadn't yet left our cabin, so I guess we were a couple of minutes late. Upon our arrival, they were still playing the first song of the set. I went to get us a couple of beers, and by the time I was back by the stage, I guess they'd played a little over fifteen minutes. And they were still playing the same song. I must admit I lost interest (thus the counting), but I swear they didn't play more than five songs max during their 60 mins + set.

Thank God for rockabilly!

Anders

I can't stand kids, with their music and bright clothes.

I. Hate. Jam Bands.

I love good musicianship, and I love hearing bands, who otherwise have certain songs they must play for their fans, stretch out and jam- interacting with each other... Jonny Lang does this, it's one of the coolest improvisational performances I've ever seen, believe it or not.

What I can't stand is run-on 10 minute songs where everyone takes a 128-bar solo over the same chord progression. YAWN. Incredibly boring and one-dimensional.

We have a jam band here locally, they don't gig much but when they do, they draw. A 45-minute set sounds like one long run-on song to me, with a couple of pauses (I guess this must be where they stop playing one song and start playing another song that sounds so much like the previous song I can't even tell they changed songs. )

You are not necessarily getting old, but realizing what is already known...jam music blows!

Opinions all around...

...------

Not all jam bands suck. We have a couple here in our town that are really decent, and yes I agree there are some bad ones. As long as they don't play over each other, too much,or too long, it works.

I mean heck, The Allman bros bands, Tedesci Trucks, and Gov't Mule are awesome. It works, if it's done right. Too many wanna be hippie kids, these days.

Personally, I’ve always been a song type of guy. Never got the whole jam band thing. Just seemed meanderingly masturbatory to me. But if there wasn’t a market for it, it wouldn’t exist so there ya go. Now get offa my lawn.

Here is an interesting perspective on today's music.

I can't stand kids, with their music and bright clothes.

– crowbone

...and get off of my lawn!

Jam bands are still light years better than anything like EDM or it's kin. Most modern music bores me to tears.

Good musicains make good teams, they know how to share the music. It the show offs or "hogs" that can ruin any genre.

If I never hear a I, IV, V bar band blues jam ever again I'll be just fine. I've had my fill and I'm ready for dessert.

Here is an interesting perspective on today's music.

– GreTschocaster

A good video... makes a lot of sense, and it’s probably the reason I don’t listen to the radio anymore.

Someone needs to form "The Two Minute Blues Band" - where every song can't exceed two minutes. They could have a big digital counter at the beginning of each song - when it hits zero, the stage lights go black. Yeah - I've thought too much about this ....

Someone needs to form "The Two Minute Blues Band" - where every song can't exceed two minutes. They could have a big digital counter at the beginning of each song - when it hits zero, the stage lights go black. Yeah - I've thought too much about this ....

– hellbilly

AND the power is cut! (temporarily, 10 seconds before the next song begins.....)

My hearing/ brain can’t handle sounds/music/noise that are non coherent.
When we play bar gigs and we take a break the orchestra of drunken voices all shouting above the din of my rice krispies takes me over the edge! It’s as if my brain tries to make sense of the random input coming from every direction.
When every one in a band is “soloing” it has this same effect on me.
I am going to avoid “Jam” bands from now on.
It’s like 5 people all shouting at the same time, to be heard over everyone else. Fricken hippies on crack if you ask me.

Jam band = Train Wreck..All female, metal tribute bands, if good...are awesome! Top 40 or cover bands are nauseating. I won't go. Even if my friends are playing...haha Original Rockabilly is da Best! I wana see an act with eye candy, cool and showmen ship.. No shorts, flipflop shoes, backwards baseball hats.. Respect the stage.. "If you look like the audience maybe that's where you belong"....

I have a new perspective on this. After the age of 16 or so I was never in any "jam bands". Also, like tubwompus, always been a song guy.

6 months ago I joined an existing group that the leader described as an "Afro-Carribean jam band". It's a very eclectic and casual group, aged mid 20's to mid 60's, and probably has 10 or 12 members with 6 to 8 showing up at any given time. The tunes are all harmonically quite simple but rhythmically and structurally complex.

There's very little "jamming" -at least in the sense that I am familiar with and people in this thread have mentioned. The "jam" is a collaborative process that happens during practices where a bare bones framework gets fleshed out with various people trying various things. The tunes get 'jammed" into a form and then that becomes the song, which then is set.

The difference between this and my own project (as well as other bands I've played in) is how loosey-goosey the practices and membership is; something that originally rubbed me the wrong way, because in my experience that could never lead anywhere good. But the leader (the drummer) does an excellent job of leading practices and keeps everything focused and on track, and the results have surprised me.

That video makes a lot of sense. Lately, I've brainwashed myself with the Foo Fighters.

If I never hear a I, IV, V bar band blues jam ever again I'll be just fine. I've had my fill and I'm ready for dessert.

– BuddyHollywood

Hear Hear!

I'm like some jam bands, but not all the jamming. I love the Grateful Dead, but found staying awake at the concerts a challenge. To be fair, that wasn't entirely the band's fault. Might have had something to do with my tailgating activities in the parking lot. But I'll never regret going. I caught them in Chigago in '94 and '95 the summers after my freshmen and sophomore years in college, the second time being their last show ever. To be at Dead shows at the ages of 19 and 20 during the peak of the '90s hippie revival was a good place to be.

Register Sign in to join the conversation