Miscellaneous Rumbles

if you FB, you’re welcome to join #gretschmafia

Hey hey

GRETSCHMAFIA A facebook page started in 2016 for ONLY Gretsch, All the time. No politics, No religion, just the finest Guitars, Basses, Drums ever made.

If you havent heard of it, Please feel free to join and remember to answer the question, when you sign up. It proves you actually want to intentionally join because you love Gretsch guitars. click here:

https://www.facebook.com/gr...

make your bones :)

– TheNocturneBrain

Dang what is that gal wearing as a headpiece... looks like radio antenna.

Ugh.

There’s so much wrong with Facebook.

And with moving communities to it.

Ugh.

There’s so much wrong with Facebook.

And with moving communities to it.

– Baxter

What I find amazing these days is the acceptance of corporate and government intrusion into our lives all day long which would have never happened 20 years ago.

This forum is unique and in no way shape or form could be ported to any other environment without losing its face. A knowledge based center would be lost with all the revised history and fiction becoming fact on most sites. What keeps me here are the few that are interested in fact and all the friends that are here. I believe that is why Baxter's site prevailed over the Gretsch owned forum, like minded people on an independent forum allows freedom with little censorship whereas corporate owned sites don't have the same feel.

What I find amazing these days is the acceptance of corporate and government intrusion into our lives all day long which would have never happened 20 years ago.

This forum is unique and in no way shape or form could be ported to any other environment without losing its face. A knowledge based center would be lost with all the revised history and fiction becoming fact on most sites. What keeps me here are the few that are interested in fact and all the friends that are here. I believe that is why Baxter's site prevailed over the Gretsch owned forum, like minded people on an independent forum allows freedom with little censorship whereas corporate owned sites don't have the same feel.

– Curt Wilson

Yes, I have noticed... independent over company forums are better. The Rick forum is a ghost town..but there are two active other ones for Rickenbacker. Fender ended their forums(?)... I think Gibson's forum is in better shape.

Get what you wanted? Jeez.

I think it’s pretty Cool that Tavo has taken the time to create a place for Gretsch lovers on Facebook. It’s not supposed to replace the GDP, it’s just an extension that may lead Facebookers here. Thanks Tavo, I’ve been a member for a while.

These entrails are not going to feast upon themselves!

I think it’s pretty Cool that Tavo has taken the time to create a place for Gretsch lovers on Facebook. It’s not supposed to replace the GDP, it’s just an extension that may lead Facebookers here. Thanks Tavo, I’ve been a member for a while.

– Suprdave

Right, how could a FB forum called #gretschmafia that wont let you talk about any other guitars or post any pics videos that dont include a gretsch compare to an online web forum. Not the same thing...YET its fantastic if you want only gretsch. I started it a while back because I was sick n tired of going to a particular gretsch forum that was talking about les pauls and strats. Facebook forums are excellent for avoiding the bullshit that prevails on the usual wall content.

I'm not much of a FB person, and I agree with DCBirdman about the intrusion of corporate entities into our lives. But....suggesting that Tavo, who has been a great supporter of the GDP, is somehow attempting to undermine it, or steal away members to support a Gretsch FB page, seems rather harsh.

Most everyone knows Facewaste is negativity unleashed, but I do appreciate Mr. TheNocturneBrain's efforts.

I joined yesterday!

I look forward to posting about my non-typical Gretsch guitars!

...------

The #gretschmafia is a great beacon in a sea of waste which is FB.

Keeping a positive view of FB is possible by belonging to this and a few other fun gretsch groups. I like the Eddie Cochran page and Gene Vincent pages too. However redundant they may be. They are fun.

I applaud Tavo for this FB page. It’s great to see world wide enthusiasm for Gretschs.

The #gretschmafia is a great beacon in a sea of waste which is FB.

Keeping a positive view of FB is possible by belonging to this and a few other fun gretsch groups. I like the Eddie Cochran page and Gene Vincent pages too. However redundant they may be. They are fun.

I applaud Tavo for this FB page. It’s great to see world wide enthusiasm for Gretschs.

I note that this thread was started before Baxter's announcement, but you'd have to admit that the timing is unfortunate.

As for me - No, thanks. Too many rules.

If I join, will I have to whack somebody?

Actually I think I'm already a member, or following.

In adding to the above post as well,

gretschmafia has been on FB for years now. Not something new.

Either way it seems to be in poor taste to use Baxter's forum (at least until Tim's announcement since it now appears to be Rocky's) to solicit people to come join your "other" forum.

But maybe that's just me...I am, after all, a "boomer".

I abhor Facebook as a whole, but I accept that there can be islands of sanity, in an otherwise insane environment. I'll check out Tavo's page, and see how it goes. He garners a lot of respect here on the GDP, and I can't help but think that there are nothing but good intentions from him. I believe that his invitation to the members here, to check out his Facebook page, is nothing more than a friend offering us a new place to share ideas, in addition to our beloved GDP site. I offer my sincere thanks for his efforts, and i'll have a look.

I'm on Facebook, I joined to announce to friends when I do shows close to home, but as a whole, I've been liking it less and less, as so much political venom is being spewed there that it's actually caused me depression. It's interesting though, I have seen the true colors of more than a few people that I would have never guessed were closeted racists or political extremists! So no, I won't be getting my Gretsch fix from a Facebook group. I'll stay here, unless the corporate aspect moves it in a different direction.

Either way it seems to be in poor taste to use Baxter's forum (at least until Tim's announcement since it now appears to be Rocky's) to solicit people to come join your "other" forum.

But maybe that's just me...I am, after all, a "boomer".

– Toddfan

Well I am a boomer as well. But my thoughts are that until Tim ,Rocky or Tavo disclose that he had prior knowledge of the switch coming up here on GDP, the discomfort is being based on assumptions.

Register Sign in to join the conversation