Miscellaneous Rumbles

I used my Gretsch 6118T SGR for this,,,

I liked that more than the original, and I liked the original. Cheers.

I liked that more than the original, and I liked the original. Cheers.

– lx

What a nice thing to say!

BEAUTIFUL work by you, Daniel!! Agree with lx -- you have outdone the original IMO, and THAT takes some very serious doing!

Thank you for sharing!

Very nice. Not only is the playing and singing spectacular, but I think you hit the channel separation perfectly.

A beautifully spacious, delicately assured performance with a vocal so direct and personal, I almost felt like I'd accidentally stumbled into the wrong room and eavesdropped on a personal conversation.

I always enjoy genuine and immersive atmosphere, wherein music has total power to completely shift the listener's entire mood and perception.

Wow. That song won’t ever be the same to me either. Your style is platinum, Daniel. Thanks for sharing.

BEAUTIFUL work by you, Daniel!! Agree with lx -- you have outdone the original IMO, and THAT takes some very serious doing!

Thank you for sharing!

– senojnad

I just wanted to make sure that I got the story across as it's such a great song.

Very nice. Not only is the playing and singing spectacular, but I think you hit the channel separation perfectly.

– Zigracer

Thank you, you may find this funny, or obsessive compulsive, but I had to practice the finger picking part for about 8 hours before I could play it accurately enough to record. The reason being, is that I wanted the recording to be very open, and the slightest error in the finger picking was painfully obvious. And with only three tracks, vocal, acoustic guitar, and my Gretsch, I had to get the panning right to get the song to sound full, yet open. So I appreciate your comment, and that you noticed the channel separation!

Wow. That song won’t ever be the same to me either. Your style is platinum, Daniel. Thanks for sharing.

– Suprdave

Thanks Dave, I remember when I first heard the song when Born To Run was first released. I bought the album as a young teen because of all the great reviews, but frankly, I didn't like Bruce's voice. It really put me off. But soon as the needle hit the grooves on this song, I was entranced with the melody, and the way the piano set up the story telling vocal. And what a story! It made me go back and listen to the record with a more appreciative ear, and it really opened my mind to what a great song writer Bruce was/is.

So when I covered it, I needed to find a way to present the vocal with a guitar setup that would have the same effect as the piano and sax did on the original

A beautifully spacious, delicately assured performance with a vocal so direct and personal, I almost felt like I'd accidentally stumbled into the wrong room and eavesdropped on a personal conversation.

I always enjoy genuine and immersive atmosphere, wherein music has total power to completely shift the listener's entire mood and perception.

– ade

Adrian, your comments are so are always so thoughtfully written. And I TOTALLY agree with you about music having total power to completely shift the listener's entire mood and perception. That is what Bruce's original did to me, it opened me up to his wonderful story telling ability. As I said to Dave in my reply to his post, I wasn't originally too fond of Bruce's voice, but the way the acoustic piano delivered the story on a silver platter just stopped me in my tracks. And when Bruce sang the line "when I walk through the door, I'm just gonna throw that money on the bed" I realized just how great of a singer Bruce Springsteen really is. That song always puts me in a mood, and I was hoping with my version that I could do the same. It wasn't an easy song for me to record.

Well done, Daniel! You achieved a great balance with the three parts. I really like the next track, Faded Photograph too. In fact, I liked it even better, you had a really nice groove going on with it, and some excellent guitar work. I enjoy the sound of your singing voice and sense of harmony. You've got a lot of talent, thank you for sharing.

Well done, Daniel! You achieved a great balance with the three parts. I really like the next track, Faded Photograph too. In fact, I liked it even better, you had a really nice groove going on with it, and some excellent guitar work. I enjoy the sound of your singing voice and sense of harmony. You've got a lot of talent, thank you for sharing.

– Wade H

I wish that was me on Faded Photograph, that was forum member ADE, he's my friend on Soundcloud, so his song followed mine. And I love it too!

Daniel - Of course I laugh at things that are funny but, and this has always been odd to me, but I also laugh (really more of a hard chuckle) when when enjoying an outrageously delicious meal or hear a song that strikes me like a thunderbolt.

I am a huge Springsteen fan and I was chuckling hard only a quarter way thru your version. It hit me just like the original although I don't recall the original evoking "the chuckle out of me". Your version evoked some hidden energy of the song that I feel was always trying to break through and your recording was the white hot beam of energy that just always wanted to come out of the song.

I have dialed in to only a few that I will call "my favorite guitar tones"......of course words can't describe them but it was a great deal of what got me to playing in the first place. The electric tone was it. I loved it. I would love it as a stand-alone solo but it was a perfect partner that partnered perfectly with the vocal and acoustic.

Yup, I am rambling. Great music that hits me in the best of ways has that effect. Brilliant and thank you for sharing your creation!

Daniel - Of course I laugh at things that are funny but, and this has always been odd to me, but I also laugh (really more of a hard chuckle) when when enjoying an outrageously delicious meal or hear a song that strikes me like a thunderbolt.

I am a huge Springsteen fan and I was chuckling hard only a quarter way thru your version. It hit me just like the original although I don't recall the original evoking "the chuckle out of me". Your version evoked some hidden energy of the song that I feel was always trying to break through and your recording was the white hot beam of energy that just always wanted to come out of the song.

I have dialed in to only a few that I will call "my favorite guitar tones"......of course words can't describe them but it was a great deal of what got me to playing in the first place. The electric tone was it. I loved it. I would love it as a stand-alone solo but it was a perfect partner that partnered perfectly with the vocal and acoustic.

Yup, I am rambling. Great music that hits me in the best of ways has that effect. Brilliant and thank you for sharing your creation!

– NJDevil

Nice ramble! It's great how music inspires you so. I am very familiar with how a certain piece of music can move you as there are songs I've listened to that have brought tears of joy to my eyes. Thanks for your nice comments.

Register Sign in to join the conversation