Miscellaneous Rumbles

Norm Van has passed.

I have enjoyed reading Norm’s posts over the years and have great respect for his knowledge. He once posted a link to a blog that he did where he posted all of his “notebook thoughts “ from a notebook that he kept in his back pocket and would write things down as they came to him. There were some really wonderful thoughts shared on that blog. If anyone remembers that and has a link, could you post it here? It was on the previous version of the GDP I believe. Gonna Miss ya Norm. Rest well Sir.

Sorry to hear of the passing of Norm,RIP Sir.

If ya don't already have Norms book on Paul ,get yourself copy,it's a great read.

Thanks for posting Keith .

Very sorry to hear this. RIP Norm.

His parting words were very impactful ,so glad I read them ,puts alot of Life's things in perspective .

R.I.P. Sir

suprDave- He once posted a link to a blog that he did where he posted all of his “notebook thoughts “ from a notebook that he kept in his back pocket and would write things down as they came to him. There were some really wonderful thoughts shared on that blog. If anyone remembers that and has a link, could you post it here? It was on the previous version of the GDP I believe. Gonna Miss ya Norm. Rest well Sir.

Not sure if this is the one you seek, but I have this bookmark from a couple of years back..

http://www.normspot.com/aut...

Absolutely nothing I say can come close to the masterpiece that Norm wrote.

Rest In Peace sir, I’m going to miss your writing.

I never had any direct interactions with Norm, but always found his posts and observations thoughtful and valuable, with a rare balanced perspective on life that his last post above reflects. We are all better off for having known him in whatever capacity.

So sorry to read about this. Happy trails Norm, and thanks.

Norm's posts always were of interest and usually ones that taught me something. I looked forward to reading them; his presence was a fine addition here. His final chapter which Bonedaddy shared with us is extraordinary, like he was. I'll miss him. Richard, I also enjoyed your post; and, Deed, the photo was perfect, although I'll just recall his avatar. It's times like these that make this place really feel like family. Love you all. Olivia Anne

When I first arrived here on the GDP many years ago, there was this guy who always talked about Chet. Chet this and Chet that. I learned more about Chet from reading Norm's posts than any book or article. When Norm replaced some of the pots in his 61 Gent, he gave the old ones to me. I don't know why I wanted them. I just did. To me, he was a special man that seemed to march to the beat of his own drummer. RIP Norm.

Thanks, Norm, for all you've contributed here and across the globe. Rest in peace.

Wow. Very moving. R.I.P., Norm.

Sad. I too was a fan of Norm and his writing. He seemed to not only possess such great knolwedge of the guitar and all things Chet, but had experience and wisdom in many other areas, including running an establishment. To those of you who were fortunate enough to have a personal relationship with Norm, your testimonials were very touching.

At least Norm lived to see Gretsch equipping guitars with the pinless string through Bigsby that he championed so many times.

Norm: Enjoy peace in eternity and rest only if you want to. I’ll see you at the big Roundup sometime.

I was deeply touched by the eulogy, of a man I did not know. As I read it, I wished dearly that I would have had the opportunity to have known him. I'm saying a prayer for him, trusting God to lift Norm to paradise. RIP Mr. Norm Van Maastricht.

Rip Norm. One of the consistently good posters here (the kind that make this place such a valuable ongoing conversation), and the best self-penned eulogy I've ever seen. Apparently he passed in the town I was born in, and was a Peninsula resident while I was. Never met him, which is too bad for me.

I've been away for a couple of days and I'm just now seeing this.

Vaya con dios, Norm. You've left behind a rich musical legacy, and you've got the enduring admiration and respect of many friends and "family" in this little corner of cyberspace.

I'm still not sure I'm fully prepared to say anything, but I'm going to try. Norm deserves whatever words I can manage to muster up.

When I first added the forum to the site -- that was in 1998, as I recall, maybe 1997 -- Norm was one of the very first people to show up. I'm not sure what brought him to my doorstep, but I've always been grateful he came on so early and that he stuck around. I suspect he wanted to be sure I wasn't getting any details wrong, especially when it comes to Gents.

To say Norm was a valued poster around here is an understatement. There's a small group of people who came early and really set the tone for the site. I knew the sort of forum I wanted to run, but those folks made it a reality. They combined deep experience and knowledge with humor and humility and were an example for all who followed them. Some of those folks are still with us, and I think they'd all agree that Norm was probably the key figure establishing the early tone of the GDP, even more than I was.

And for that I thank him.

And so we've gone on a journey of 20 years or so together. Through it all Norm was always both smarter, kinder, funnier and more giving than almost anyone else. He shared his deep knowledge, and was quick to acknowledge what he didn't know. He told some great stories. He reminded us to never trust anything that used to be a tree.

And for that I thank him.

I never got to meet the man in person. I had hoped the year I made the trek out o the NorCal Roundup I'd get to, but it was not to be. I only got to know him through his posts, the occasional email, and through his music. If you never got to to hear him play, you're missing out.

He was such a calming and steadfast force, I kinda thought he'd always be here, like fresh running water.

But he won't be.

And I'm out of words. I'll miss you Norm.

Rest in Peace, Norm!

suprDave- He once posted a link to a blog that he did where he posted all of his “notebook thoughts “ from a notebook that he kept in his back pocket and would write things down as they came to him. There were some really wonderful thoughts shared on that blog. If anyone remembers that and has a link, could you post it here? It was on the previous version of the GDP I believe. Gonna Miss ya Norm. Rest well Sir.

Not sure if this is the one you seek, but I have this bookmark from a couple of years back..

– Kevin Frye

That's it...."The Write down book" tab. Such wonderful thoughts and experiences shared. Well worth the read. Fighting back the tears, when reading his self eulogy, was not possible. It was a bit embarrassing because I was in mixed company just burning time on the internet. Thanks for finding that, Kevin.

– Kevin Frye

I was going to post this if no one else had. Be sure to head his tales from the bar, as well as his memoir about his time in early 60s California and spending time with Jerry Garcia: http://www.normspot.com/wp-...

It's a great read, with Norm's personality all over it.

RIP

Getting this news late, sad to lose one of our own gentle, kind and steadfast voices, knowledgeable about so much, especially all things Chet.

Norm was very generous in taking time to talk with me in the early days researching the Chet Atkins film, and for that I remain very grateful. I also hope he gets to pick a few with Chet now.

It was very much a privilege to connect him to my friend who produced the release of an early bluegrass release from the Hart Valley Drifters, an ensemble with Norm playing dobro along with Dave Nelson, Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter, and Ken Frankel, back in 1961. It's a high quality recording and you can hear Norm's strong playing (he says "I try the dobro" in the short intro), at age 20.

RIP Norm, you are missed already.

Register Sign in to join the conversation