Miscellaneous Rumbles

I think I may be going off Filter’Trons

Unless I can find someone else who winds a P90-sounding pickup and stuffs it into a Filtertron housing...

Well here ya go...

https://www.gabojo.com/ray-...

I love their MR2000SB pickup so they are worth a try!

– Daniel Weldon

Very interesting!

WARNING product placement alert!

Since Vince already mentioned them, here's a shameless plug - If you're finding yourself going off Filtertrons, perhaps you might be interested in my "Off Kiltertrons"? I wind an asymmetrical, dual bobbin, multicoil pickup that works with a rotary switch to give you six different voices; three single coil - Jangle (hilo-ish), Twangle (Fendery), Wrangle (Dynasonish), and three humbucking - Tangle (Filtertrony), Mangle (PAFish), and CRUSH (RAWRRR!!!).

Here's a demo I did running through the settings on my G5420

Unless I can find someone else who winds a P90-sounding pickup and stuffs it into a Filtertron housing...

Well here ya go...

https://www.gabojo.com/ray-...

I love their MR2000SB pickup so they are worth a try!

– Daniel Weldon

Hmm... IDK if those would work in a Gretsch Proline with Filtertrons... ? Would the ears be too long? TVJ's "ears" are level with the pickup baseplate (for Pro Gretsch hollowbody mount), and you use mousepad/foam as your height shims (or some people use wood, but that's not adjustable either).

All good advice, thanks.

WB, is quite correct, the 'Trons are a great rocky pick-up, particularly the bridge. I think my problem is really when I use it with my Line 6 stuff (although I've been using Line 6 live for the best part of a decade with no problems, other than the gutless neck pup).

As I said before I have a set of Butts' on their way. I'm going to change the strings then do an A/B comparison before and after the Butts' go in and see what difference I hear.

Mel, product placement is an insidious activity that should be avoided at all costs. Yours was an honest-to-goodness balls-out plug which I am all in favour of

I sometimes wonder if there's some kind of syndrome playing out here. So once the filtertron was the ultimate rockabilly rock n roll pickup. Combined with some analogue slap back and a Fender amp, it was tonal nirvana. Now some kinda backlash? Now about as popular as Clapton round here? Obviously we ain't all Stray Cats wannabees, but there does seem to have been trends here. Once it was trestle bracing, or aluminium bridges or hey... we all gotta get flatwounds or something. Or dynasonics are cool.. or hang on, no they're awful unless you follow the smarty pant rules about pole piece height. Go play the guitar, stop worrying

And I put P90s in a guitar once and couldn't wait to whip em out. Loud shouty things, like having a rabid dog barking around my ankles. So there

And I put P90s in a guitar once and couldn't wait to whip em out. Loud shouty things, like having a rabid dog barking around my ankles. So there

– Vince_Ray

Perfect description! Love em... for certain things.

A Les Paul Junior wouldn't be w/o a P90. ES-125. ES-350. ES-295.

Hmm... IDK if those would work in a Gretsch Proline with Filtertrons... ? Would the ears be too long? TVJ's "ears" are level with the pickup baseplate (for Pro Gretsch hollowbody mount), and you use mousepad/foam as your height shims (or some people use wood, but that's not adjustable either).

– ruger9

well they were designed to replace regular filters, write the guy a letter and ask him.

I’m curious how anyone can get a good classic rock sound out of Dynasonics? And I’m talking about 70’s 80’s Rock not 50’s 60’s Rock. I just couldn’t get along with Dynasonics, they just squealed and I could never get a good rhythm tone out of them. I do like the big bottom end and the clear highs but it’s not enough for me to keep them in a guitar. So how do people crank up the volume and wow the crowd with, what are to me, pickups made for a twangy cowboy hootenanny?

– Hipbone

I'm able to get a classic rock sound out of the Dynasonics on my Duo Jet. It is the guitar on the left side of this song on my album that I recently released that I'm also going to shamelessly plug.

The low-wind P90s in my ES225 are so wonderful... Loud and shouty? Oh yeah! But also capable of truly beautiful sounds too.

I LOVE the TV Classics in my Gretsches. Funny thing is my SSLVO works great with my 20 year old Line 6 POD. In fact it was using the "small tweed" setting on the POD that inspired me to build my first amp, a 5E3 Deluxe. Sounds nothing like the Line 6 version but what a great amp.

I'm not crazy about the clean tone of the bridge pickup but love the other two positions. Fortunately the bridge sounds so good with a hint of overdrive it's all good. I avoid most BF style amps though. The Super Reverb is ok but generally I lean towards the tweed sounds and Matchless/Badcat/Vox kinda stuff. You need the mids.

I went through a dozen 6120s trying to get a sound I liked. Then went to the dark side with Dynas. Filters are the sound of neo-rockabilly, not the 50s. There's a reason why Tavo's preamps are so popular. Fat P90s, then Dynas, then Guild Franz. Ooh yeah!

– ruger9

The maker -- Dim -- is very customer service oriented; I'm sure he'll answer any questions you may have.

I'm able to get a classic rock sound out of the Dynasonics on my Duo Jet. It is the guitar on the left side of this song on my album that I recently released that I'm also going to shamelessly plug.

– BuddyHollywood

Oh, I really enjoyed that track!

Uncle Daddy is probably right that Filter'trons are the sound of "neo-rockabilly". You don't see too many of the original rockers using them because they weren't around until '58.

But they do work well for rockabilly. As do Dearmonds and P90s, and Scotty Moore made PAFs work alright too! And Teles are a great rockabilly guitar. So there is no need to feel that you have to like Filter'trons. I like Dearmonds but only clean and I rarely play perfectly clean sounds, so I don't really have much use for 'em. As much as I love Scotty Moore's playing I like my SSLVO and Jet for rockabilly that I play.

There are no rules about this stuff - as much as the rockabilly nazis who used to come to our gigs would like there to be! Use what works for you.

Maybe it was Brian Setzer who popularised the idea of filtertrons for rockabilly? I'm being silly of course

Maybe it was Brian Setzer who popularised the idea of filtertrons for rockabilly? I'm being silly of course

– Vince_Ray

Actually, I think that's exactly right. So many people were INTRODUCED to rockabilly by the Stray Cats in the early 80s. Only then going back to discover the trailblazers.

And at the time, hum-cancellation was big deal, so the Filtertron was marketed in that fashion. sometimes, in those early days, tone was almost an afterthought, and tech/improvement of the medium was primary. Every time I've read about Leo Fender, he wasn't nearly as concerned with tone as he was with functionality. A lot of Leo's things that are now thought of as "genius" were really just an engineer trying to figure out a way to do something better and/or cheaper. A good example is the amp line: Leo was constantly searching more more headroom and ultimate clarity, while many players were digging the cranked-up tones they were getting from the tweed era amps.... that was not Leo's intent, but....

The Filtertron was no doubt designed as a hum-cancelling "solution"/"upgrade" to the Dearmond/sigle coil.... not as a humbucking rockabilly/rock-n-roll pickup LOL

Plus, I guess Chet used filterteons and preferred them over dynas allegedly. And he wasn't well known for his AC/DC style riffin'

Register Sign in to join the conversation