Miscellaneous Rumbles

I lost a dear friend

I found out yesterday that my go-to drummer and friend of 10 years passed away in November of a pulmonary embolism on the eve of his 45th birthday. I texted him last week with a gig and he didn't respond. Unusual, but I wasn't worried unduly at that time. I chased him earlier this week and again he didn't respond. I know he had a couple of bouts of cancer in the past so I got a little worried and googled his name and came across his obituary.

Bradford C. Gross was a fine, fine drummer, but he was so much more. Science teacher, entertainer, entrepreneur, father, husband, and a wonderful friend. Born and raised in Mystic, Connecticut, Brad came to England around 14 years ago, after a few years in NY and the Florida Keys. If you reside in either New England, New York, the Keys or Hastings, Sussex you will likely have seen and enjoyed Brad's playing and ever-positive attitude.

Rest well my dear friend, I will miss you.

Well DAMMIT!

Sorry to hear it, Deke. He sounds like a good guy. My condolences.

Friggin' mortality. Too much of it in these parts lately.

NOTICE TO PEOPLE WE KNOW: STOP DYING.

No shit! My sister-in-law's husband died a couple of days ago at 61.

Sorry to hear that Deke,my condolences to you and his family and friends.

Man, I'm so sorry to hear, Deke. As we guys get older, cardiovascular health is a huge issue. I have, as of late, started to actually USE my gym membership.

Sorry to learn this news of your loss, Deke. We do create special bonds with the people with whom we make music and when one of them goes, it is seemingly a greater loss.

My condolences to you and to his family and friends. May the sadness of your loss soon be gone, leaving you only with the memories of the great gigs that you performed and the beers and good times that you shared with Bradford.

My thoughts go out to you and his friends and family.

Sorry for your loss, Deke.

Ah, I assumed you’d heard Deke. I only knew him a little but the response to that sad news here in Hastings was overwhelming. I live near the castle as you know and the fireworks on the hill that night were quite something. Friends gathered to let them all off at the same time in Brads honour. Sorry you found out this way mate, he was a colourful guy and much loved in the town

Such sad news Deke. Really sorry for your loss. I really enjoyed playing with you, Tim and Brad back in April 2016. He was a super nice guy and a really solid drummer. In memory of Brad here's a pic of him in action with you and Tim that night.

Sorry to hear that , Deke.. what a sad way to find out too

Sorry for your loss. We've all been thru it---death is a part of life. Enjoy them while they're here.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Deke. I send out my condolences to you and his family and circle of friends.

So sorry. It somehow seems worse when you missed it all. It leaves you "alone" to grieve. Sympathy.

I'll add my condolences Deke. So sorry to hear of your friend passing away and especially at such a young age!!

Condolences. He was rather young. Unfortunately, some of us have reached a point where this type of news is becoming too familiar.

Deke, I am so sorry for the loss of your buddy. 45 is so young.

sometimes i'm grateful that i don't have many friends because it cuts down on the potential loss. my condolences for your loss.

Deke, so sorry to hear this. Stay strong.

I've dealt with this situation several times over the last few years, and it's just not easy. I just got word about my best high school buddy a few weeks back, and I'm trying to make sense about the situation that's he's in.

I'm looking for answers, and they just aren't there. Just try to stay strong Deke.

Very sorry to hear, Deke. Hang in there.

Well DAMMIT!

Sorry to hear it, Deke. He sounds like a good guy. My condolences.

Friggin' mortality. Too much of it in these parts lately.

– Proteus

Oh boy, ain't that the truth. I have been told "the older you get, the worse it gets"....

So we have that to look forward to....

Sorry to hear Deke, my family has had alot of loss and cancer in these last 2 years... it's been like walking the gauntlet for us. Praying 2018 is better for everyone....

Sorry to hear, Deke. I've lost several friends suddenly in their middle age; it's really tough, especially when there's no warning — you cannot say goodbye.

My sincere condolences, and I hope you all throw him a proper musical send off.

Register Sign in to join the conversation