Miscellaneous Rumbles

I illustrated a children’s book…

Nice artwork! You didn't make the kid's guitar Gretschy, tho. Looks well done. You ought to send a copy to Dolly Parton. She has a charity where she distributes free books to kids 5 and under, just to promote literacy. My grandson gets a new one every month. It might be a great foot in the door.

That's cool, Bob! Congrats!

Congratulations Bob. Lovely clear line with the characters slightly bolder than the backgrounds which have a lovely sense of tranquil space, soft watercolour sheen and smooth perspective. The Garden Gang have vivid expressions and distinct personalities conveyed with just a few strokes. Terrific work throughout.

And did I detect an endearing Peanuts dance motif in the group scene? Wonderful!

Thanks all. Slim, I’ll try Dolly. Ade, I was inspired by the Peanuts party on some of the kids’ moves.

Very cool, Bob! Congratulations!

Great work, congrats. Will definitely like the FB page.

Here’s hoping it’s a great success. Congrats

I love Sweet Potatoes...who says this is just a Children's Book?

Too Cute, especially the Guitar-in-Hand!

Thank goodness and you, BH, for children's books. A big thumbs up!

That's totally cool! I'll have to get one for the Grandkids.

Hey, that's great. Congratulations!

That is fantastic! You are a man of many wonderful talents!

I have young grandchildren who would love this book. Placing an order this morning.

Ordered! Our two youngest Eddys will love this. Now...everyone here must Go to this page and if you’re like me, will be singing this for the rest of the day. You’re welcome xx

What a cool way to make a living. I like your style!

Thank you so much for the warm congrats, all! Deed, thanks for the kind words.

Jeffed, this particular book started out as a song and story that the author sang to and told his kids when they were little to get them to like sweet potatoes as their first solid food. When it came time to do the same for his grandchildren he figured it was time to make it into a book. He and I have been making TV, advertising and commercials for 20 years and he liked my illustrating tendencies so we spent this last year or two designing the characters and story. The illustrative style was developed using all of our friends’ and family’s toddlers as a focus group. I drew them on a sketch pad, colored them on my iPad Pro and composited the pictures in Photoshop on the desktop, assembling the book in InDesign.

Very nice work Bob, definitely a labor of love! I "Liked" on the Facebook page. The book looks like a lot of fun, I'm ordering one for my granddaughter.

Thanks Rob. I’ll check it out.

Thanks Wade. This was a labor of love.

Thank you so much for the warm congrats, all! Deed, thanks for the kind words.

Jeffed, this particular book started out as a song and story that the author sang to and told his kids when they were little to get them to like sweet potatoes as their first solid food. When it came time to do the same for his grandchildren he figured it was time to make it into a book. He and I have been making TV, advertising and commercials for 20 years and he liked my illustrating tendencies so we spent this last year or two designing the characters and story. The illustrative style was developed using all of our friends’ and family’s toddlers as a focus group. I drew them on a sketch pad, colored them on my iPad Pro and composited the pictures in Photoshop on the desktop, assembling the book in InDesign.

– Bob Howard

Thanks for that insight, Bob. I'm always really interested in the creative process, in this case how it all evolved between you, the illustrator, and the author. It all comes clear now - the kids, the motivation, the song (cute), everything. Well done both of you!

Thanks, Jeffed.

And Deed! The author, Art Ehrens was thrilled that you and Duane have heard of the book, as he is a big fan! Thanks again.

Register Sign in to join the conversation