Miscellaneous Rumbles

I Couldn’t Take It Anymore. I Had to Walk Out!

Clockwork Orange, hated the damn thing and walked out before it was half over. A sick mind must have put it together!!

– RCgold

"A Clockwork Orange" was our first date.

Even so, she went out with me again. 45 years later, we're still married.

i just had a great memory of being young and walking out of a movie on a good note. Thanks for that.

I came to the conclusion several years back that Stanley Kubrick, and his "art," is overrated.

If you hate some of the movies he's made, then most likely it wasn't the material, but his "take."

I did like the first hour of "Full Metal Jacket," but who did not?

"Eyes Wide Shut"? How can a bad movie be made about an dark society involving sex? I know, let Kubrick do it.

I did not walk out of "Shut," but I thought about it.

Addendum: I do NOT let critics or reviews, or IMDB keep me from seeing a movie. I have to judge for myself whether my time and money is well spent.

...------

I've walked out on so many, can't begin to remember them. One I should have walked out on was Looking for Mr. Goodbar. I'm with Billy on that. Manipulative, gratuitous violence as payoff for enduring the bad acting. Almost worth it for the line "I'm the pitcher, not the catcher!!" Yeah, right. MD

i've never walked out on a movie, but i walked out on Foghat. twice. the first time me and my friends went to see Focus, who were the middle act on the bill; the other time i went to a Foghat/Frampton's Camel/Maggie Bell show because a friend got stood up on a date and talked him into leaving. i also walked out on Pylon at the I-Beam, but that was because my wife wanted to leave.

i've never walked out on a movie, but i walked out on Foghat. twice.

Really? Love me some Foghat. Never walked out on a movie. Walked out on a Julian Lennon concert but only because my date was a bitch.

"I came to the conclusion several years back that Stanley Kubrick, and his "art," is overrated."

+1

Truly astonishing. The friends I went with grew up on "Saved by the Bell," so they had a particular prurient interest in this movie. I could not believe what I was watching. It was the most hilariously awful train wreck I have ever seen. And not by a little. We stuck it out, but wow, it was brutally bad.

– Afire

The only reason to watch Showgirls was Elizabeth Berkley with glitter all over her... Prurient indeed....

Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles. I was one of those that sat through that wondering when it would start. So repetitive and so boring, yet mesmerizing in it's portrayal of a woman who needs a new life...enough to murder someone.

Another in the same vein is "Solaris", the Russian original. I just love watching weeds blow in the wind for 10 minutes with no dialog or sound track!!...

If we expand this a bit, as it seems we have, movies I've seen or avoided or should have because of their theme or topic include Schindler's list--avoided, cannot bear even the thought; Sophie's Choice--beautiful, but would have been better served never to load that sadness onboard my psyche; Saving Private Ryan--I just cannot do any longer that sort of violence; Deer Hunter--started at 11:30 pm when my ex had gone on to bed and spent one of the most horrified nights of my life watching that story unfold--it stays with me, still; sadly, one of our friends who was a Ranger who called in our planes said it was the most realistic of the Viet Nam war movies he'd ever seen; Silence of the Lambs--will haunt me to my grave; it took me about 2 years to remember that what kept causing that one horrible dream, of a girl in a pit, was from a sub-plot in that one.

I understand that each is a terrific movie, some even award winning; but, there are things that we just don't need to add to our days, at least, I don't.

Criminal minds, has become one of our favorite TV shows but it really pushes the envelope for TV sometimes, IMO. I really hope there aren't that many serial killers around.

I walked out on Kingsman, the scene in the church was so over the top I left.

I tend to avoid violent movies now unless it is historically based. I think it is important to understand history so I made an exception for Dunkirk which I thought was great.

Plenty of movies I probably should have left.

Dunkirk was great. I missed Darkest Hour (Churchill) in my theatre, will have to wait for Netflix

The Talented Mr. Ripley. I forgot, Karolyn and I both walked out on that one.

– Suprdave

The French 1960 version ("plein soleil") is better.

I walked out on "Kill Bill 1" and made it a point never to waste time on part two. Incredible pretentious emperor's new clothes POS sad excuse for a movie.

Wanted to walk out on "Dogville", but when I suggested it to my then-girlfriend, it was painfully clear I better not. so I ended up seeing it, all agonizing 178 minutes of it.

Dunkirk was great. I missed Darkest Hour (Churchill) in my theatre, will have to wait for Netflix

– ruger9

Going to see Darkest Hour tomorrow which is at a local independent (one screen) theater near me.

I thought the use of "Shepard tone" as well as integrating Elgar's Enigma Variation IX (Nimrod) into the score was well done in Dunkirk.

I was watching "Dune" on my Spectrum Cable ISP service over the Holidays when I had the flu...

2/3rds the way through it "walked out" on me!

Some crazy "We are sorry" note popped up after the screen went blank.

The Spice is the Worm, the Worm is the Spice...the Weirding Way...Jules Verne sets and costumes, ... and Water is Priceless.

Great cast, and for an over-the-top moment Sting all oiled up in a Tarzan G-string get up...

All from the mind of David Lynch.

What's wrong with you people...That's Entertainment.

HA!

EDIT:. Oh, yeah...I forgot, if you stay "stoned" on the Spice too long your eyes turn iridescent blue. Tell tale sign of over-indulgence, and apparently the only way to comfortably Space Travel!

– Twangmeisternyc

Read the book and some of the sequels,watched the movie.I think you have to have read the book first.I still watch for awhile at least whenever it's on(Just like "Starship Troopers") but I could never take Kyle McLachlan seriously on "Desperate Housewives".Sorry,but he's Muad' Dib.

I walked out of "Wedding Crashers". I actually asked for my money back. Didn't work out in my favor.

The movie "Her," by Spike Jonze, was dreadful, brutal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't remember if I walked out of now, but it's on cable now, and it's bringing back terrible memories.

...------

Read the book and some of the sequels,watched the movie.I think you have to have read the book first.I still watch for awhile at least whenever it's on(Just like "Starship Troopers") but I could never take Kyle McLachlan seriously on "Desperate Housewives".Sorry,but he's Muad' Dib.

– DaveH

Too bad Alejandro Jadorowsky never got his 14 hour "Dune" out. He had Frank Herbert's approval, and had a top name cast and crew lined up. Finding funding for a 14 hour movie turned out to be impossible.

By all means, read the book. The movie has some the feel of the story but misses a lot, even the four hour version. I didn't care for the book's sequels, tho---got too preachy. It still got closer to the book than "Starship Troopers" did.

Embarrassing enough I went to see "Angel Heart" and it was so gross I had to leave. Good thing I paid matinee price rather than full price. My friend and I thought it would be, well, interesting but it was gross. Maybe we thought we would see Lisa Bonet in the all together but it was unbearable to stay and continue to watch it. I recommend it NOT to be seen. Don't rent it, please don't rent it.

There were probably a couple of other movies that I walked out on but I can't recall because the movies were probably so non memorable. "Angel Heart" was memorable but in a bad way.

There have been a lot that I rented on DVD or I DVR'd them from cable that I started watching and just couldn't continue with them.

Scarface, Pulp Fiction. Some scenes in Fargo. Sometimes casual violence is too much for me.

I've seen my share of bad movies, and generally know how to stay away from stuff I know I'll despise. I've bailed on plenty of movies on TV or other home screens. (I watch LOTS of movies, only B&W, on the pad.)

The only movie I recall literally and actually walking out of was Walking Tall. I knew I was being manipulated, none too artfully, and for no ennobling or entertaining purpose.

I helped a great number of people gradually walk out on Robert Cray, who was playing a major theatre one night at a NAMM show, must've been in the 80s. I mean, he was the big ticket that night. Room started out pretty full. It started to thin out. I kept waiting for something to happen musically. It never did. I left too. That's something for resumé: emptied a room full of musicians.

Couple years later he was opening for Eric Clapton at Richfield Coliseum in northern Ohio (which has a commercial name now, I think). It was a mirror image of the earlier gig: in this case, no one CAME till his set was almost over. I'd got there early, thought we could maybe move closer than nosebleed right before the show started. Place was deserted, we got right down front. No one came, no one came. "This is GREAT." Then, right before the Cray set petered out, place filled up and we got bounced up to our assigned seats. Great show. Phil Collins was drumming.

Robert Cray is boring.

I've seen my share of bad movies, and generally know how to stay away from stuff I know I'll despise. I've bailed on plenty of movies on TV or other home screens. (I watch LOTS of movies, only B&W, on the pad.)

The only movie I recall literally and actually walking out of was Walking Tall. I knew I was being manipulated, none too artfully, and for no ennobling or entertaining purpose.

– Proteus

The original Walking Tall or the more recent remake with that Rock guy?

Register Sign in to join the conversation