Miscellaneous Rumbles

I Couldn’t Take It Anymore. I Had to Walk Out!

Haha. I used to be a projectionist too. I think I saw less movies then. People used to think "it must be great, you get to watch all the movies." I used to just check the frame and focus then go read or something else.

– James V Roy

I actually am a projectionist, and I can totally relate to that. We're a small movie theater with only two screens, but I need to monitor the two auditoriums/projectors, so I cannot sit and watch an entire movie while I'm at work anyway. When I do go to see a movie in my "spare time", I have so far not left before the movie was over.

We have surveillance cameras, and once during the last movie of the evening (a horror movie, can't remember which one at the moment), my colleague (I wasn't at work that night) saw a guy walking around in the lobby, then sitting down on the floor, then walking around again. At first he thought maybe he'd gotten a phone call or something, but after a while it was evident that wasn't the case. My colleague walked downstairs from the projection room to check on him, and it turned out he'd been scared sh*tless by the movie. He couldn't leave, cos he was riding with his buddies, who were still inside, watching the movie.

Anders

I was doing film studies, and we had weekly screenings in a lecture theatre. Nothing fun. One week, Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles. This was trailed to us as "a classic of Belgian feminist minimalism cinema" - you know, in case you were walking about thinking you knew all about Belgian feminist minimalism, here's a classic.

The film starts. It is boring as hell. The title is literally a name and address. A woman gets up, gets her son ready for school, does some chores, visits the post office, chops a pepper. The camera is on the pepper. The phone rings and she goes to answer it. The camera stays on the pepper. OH I GET IT LIFE IS BORING, RIGHT? At this point, I am still a smoker, and the film has been going for an hour. It is 3 hours and 21 minutes long. I go out for a cigarette.

I come back, to find we are on day 2. It is the same as day 1 with very minor variations. I endure another hour, then take a bathroom break. I am getting pretty sure this is the worst film I have ever seen. Still another hour, I can repair to the pub, meet some chums. I start preparing hilarious bon mots about this film.I intend to be witty and popular. Day 3, in case you are wondering, is as bad as days one and two. Finally, I have an epiphany: I don't have to sit here and watch this crap. I decided hours ago that I was never going to write about or discuss this film. I can... just get up, and leave.

So, with a feeling of self-awe and giddy excitement, I do just that - with 10 minutes remaining. If I include the smoke and pee breaks, I have invested over 3 hours in this, but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. I go to the pub, and get a round in. My chums arrive, and I kick off the hilarious banter with "Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles? Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du commerce, 1080 BORING, more like" and get ready to bask in the warm glow of amused approval.

It does not come.

"Those sex scenes at the end of each day were brutal, though. And then when she kills that guy at the end!"

Oh.

Avoid movies with an S-rating.

I loved the book "Dune". I got an A in a college level sci-fi fantasy lit class. The movie was mind numbing. In the theaters, they gave out a 64 page pamphlet so that you might understand the movie. The last line in the movie is, "For he truly IS the Qwisatch Haderach." Cinematic greatness!

John Wick. 77 head shots in 2 hours. John Wick 2 has even more.

All of the Matrix films. Inception wasn't any better.

Most Steven Segal movies.

Many kids' movies. With grandkids, I have to see a lot of them. There are good, even great, ones. Any sequel is usually not worth the effort.

Indiana Jones 1 & 3 were superb. 2 & 4, not so much.

Star Wars 4, 5, and 6 are classics. The Jar Jar era, not.

Sharknado. All 4 of them.

All copycat movies and remakes. Jeez. Have an original thought already. How many vampire movies do we really need? 20 Halloweens? Etc. ad infinitum.

I loved the Hobbit and LOTR books. Read them all a number of times. The movies strayed too far from the books, tho.

To recap, I dislike lots of movies, but the movies "I walked out" of after paying...

A Star Is Born

Caligula

Dune

...------

– indianation65

Ah Dune. I was/am a big fan of the books, but that movie was a complete wreck,just awful.Nothing like the books.Years later I watched a 3 part miniseries thing, had William Hurt in it. Much better and a closer rendition of the books.I see also that director Denis Villeneuve is doing a new version and has stated that it will not follow Lynch's take but will be true to the book.

“Saving Private Ryan,” way too bloody for me. My soul doesn’t need to see that. My wife and I walked out of the theater shortly after the movie started.

– Hipbone

I tried to watch this on video with the then fine arts major girlfriend. I spent the first 15 minutes hiding under a blanket and the by the end wished I hadn't watched the rest. She happily watched the whole thing. Life can be crushing, disturbing and sometimes brutal reality. Why seek it in entertainment??

I remember seeing Interview With A Vampire at a second run place back in college. When the film jammed with about 40 minutes to go, the theater broke out in applause. They offered refunds, but watching Tom Cruise’s fifteen foot tall face melt on screen was more than payment enough for me!

When we were kids in high school in like 1980 we saw Barbarella at a local rep theatre. I loved the sexy campy weirdness of it but my buddy Paul got up and left. My mom walked out of Life of Brian because it was blasphemous. My wife watches films with me all the way through and then says she hated it. I ask why she watched the whole thing then and she gets mad at me. I like David Lynch’s Dune. It’s flawed but better than the book.

When we were kids in high school in like 1980 we saw Barbarella at a local rep theatre. I loved the sexy campy weirdness of it but my buddy Paul got up and left. My mom walked out of Life of Brian because it was blasphemous. My wife watches films with me all the way through and then says she hated it. I ask why she watched the whole thing then and she gets mad at me. I like David Lynch’s Dune. It’s flawed but better than the book.

– Hogben

Hanoi Jane absolutely hates "Barbarella".

That's more than enough reason to like it.

Yes I'm a huge David Lynch fan but walked out on Dune. Howard the Duck is another. Every Pierce Brosnan Bond film.....I just clicked to another channel as I never made it to the theater for those.

Not actually a movie, but I fell asleep during “Cats”. The only Broadway show that’s put me to sleep.

Nowadays I check imdb.com before I watch a movie. Time is too valuable to waste. Any movie under 7.5 is not watched by me.

I saw someone diss The Pianist. It's a true story. That's why it's so horrible. Very well made film. Like Schindler's List. But I've seen enough proof of how bad mankind is. A very good awful movie is Twelve Years A Slave. Also a true story. A very important movie to watch if you think slaves did not have a bad life.

I kind of feel ashamed to say that I had it with true stories that depict how bad mankind is. I like movies that make me forget all that.

I'm very much fond of Wes Anderson, Tarantino, Coen brothers, David Lynch and Jeunet. I dig Harry Potter movies and its spin offs. Seen all Lord if the Rings stuff.

Although I like the Coen brothers, I never watched Fargo completely. I don't like the sheriff character to start with. The story annoyed me too.

I never left the cinema. Maybe once during some arty farty crap but I'm not sure. I may have left during Prospero's Books. Such a rich Greenaway content that smothered me.

I never watch jump scare stuff or 100% gore horror. Not that I'm too scared but I just don't enjoy it. I don't mind movie violence but it should either be funny or psychological functional in a movie. I couldn't care less about the use of bad language: I even think that's funny. I find it hard to understand that anyone might be upset by bad language.

The imdb.com top 250 shows you some of the best movies. The nicest bad movie ever is Big Trouble In Little China. Such a funny movie.

I've seen so many movies. I think thousands of them. One of the best is Amelie for me but it is A. rather "feminine" and B. you need a new mindset to watch it as it is not a Hollywood formula but more of a moving picture book. I also like Wild At Heart a lot.

Much stuff I liked as a kid, wasn't as good when I watched it again. Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones. I've seen all Star Wars movies but those from 2000 were bad. So was Rogue One. Not the right spirit.

Have I left the cinema in anger or out of disgust? I don't think so. I did leave at a piano concert. Very good and everything but after have an hour the romantic period solo piano pieces really got on my nerves. And once a rockabilly band started to play Green Day in the second set. I immediately left the building!

I don't think I've ever walked out of a movie theatre before. But I'm not that big a go-er; the prices have gotten stupid. With rare exceptions, I watch at home now.

Movies on TV? (that I turned the channel).... too many to mention. Fargo was one of them. And interestingly, I love all the Coen's OTHER stuff.

Movies I WISH I had walked out of after I saw the ending? Too many to mention, the latest being La La Land.

Concerts? No big names I can think of, but have left a couple songs early to beat the traffic. And I'll happily walk out on ANY "jam band"- I hate that crap.

"And once a rockabilly band started to play Green Day in the second set. "

That's blasphemy right there!

I tried to watch this on video with the then fine arts major girlfriend. I spent the first 15 minutes hiding under a blanket and the by the end wished I hadn't watched the rest. She happily watched the whole thing. Life can be crushing, disturbing and sometimes brutal reality. Why seek it in entertainment??

– Toxophilite

In defense of "Saving Private Ryan", I think it's one of the exceptions. I think it's IMPORTANT for today's coddled generations to see what war is really like, since they haven't seen it in their lifetime. Even the "war" in the Middle East has been nothing but news snippets. I think Spielberg did the culture a SERVICE by documenting what D-Day was really like for the men who were there.

However, I do agree with what several of you are saying about "watching dramatizations of the worst of humankind"... I don't want to see that stuff either. Even if it's fiction. I quit watching The Walking Dead for that reason- just too evil and brutal. Life is brutal enough, I don't need it as entertainment. And so many new TV shows -the cable ones- are all sex & violence. I think the wife and I got through 30 minutes of the first episode of Game Of Thrones, and after watching a brother doggy style his sister and the attempted murder of a 10-year-old BOY for seeing it, we turned it off.

I came close to walking out on Blair Witch, but can’t recall actually doing so.

Yeah, I can't take all of the gore and such either. Why do people even watch "Saw"? We don't do Vampires and Zombies either.

Love everything Star Trek. It really pisses me off that CBS has made the new series All Access only.

Hey Wabash, I can mostly agree about kids movies but I really liked "Happy Feet" and "Peanuts". "Happy Feet" has actually become one of my favorite movies. (yeah, I'm silly like that)

Hey, I did NOT walk out last night, but I should have.

I went to see "Justice League" last night at the discount theater. Like Batman vs Superman, it was terrible. I want my $2.81, yes, odd price, back! However, I stayed.

Then I went home, and I decided to "on demand" Wonder Woman. It started out okay, but got really cheesy. I know it's a super heroes movie, but they are all the same now.

Addendum: Aquaman in jeans? Come on...

Addendum II: I can't believe Zack Snyder is the same director who did "300." That was awesome. Maybe he peaked then.

...------

Yeah, I can't take all of the gore and such either. Why do people even watch "Saw"? We don't do Vampires and Zombies either.

Love everything Star Trek. It really pisses me off that CBS has made the new series All Access only.

Hey Wabash, I can mostly agree about kids movies but I really liked "Happy Feet" and "Peanuts". "Happy Feet" has actually become one of my favorite movies. (yeah, I'm silly like that)

– Suprdave

There are some superb kids' movies. "Up", for one. "Toy Story" and "Ice Age" are some of the very few where the sequels are as good as the original. Mostly, the sequels to kids' flicks are atrocious, tho. Disney tends to make great movies, then they ruin things by making them into a mindless formulaic series. Quality childrens' fare is just too rare, but it's out there.

CBS' All access is a pay to view set-up. It's just greed on CBS' part, and will ultimately doom this latest Star Trek. Watch "The Orville" instead. Luckily, BBC America reruns the original series and TNG as well as Voyager. Even better, we've got DS9 on DVD.

I liked "The Blair Witch Project," simply for the way it was made, and how successful it became for an independent, just like "Open Water," such greatness.

The best, or should I say "scariest" part of Blair Witch is the last 10 minutes, mainly because of the constant motion of the cameras, and the "witch" screeches.

A girl a few seats over from me left with 5 minutes left, during the scary part. She got up in a massive rush and quickly scooted passed the entire row.

Once the movie was over, and the lights were on, I realized why.

The constant motion of the cameras made the person sitting in the seat behind her sick. That person threw-up popcorn and drink all over her head and shoulders. Once the lights were on, we saw it!

...fun stuff, even at a movie you might leave!

Here's one I forgot. Dreamcatcher.

Solid cast, yet one of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. Really, unbelievably bad.

Oh, I love the Orville, Wabash. I already pay for cable and internet service. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $9.99 per month for CBS all access. I know you can get it for a month free and watch all of them then cancel but I just don't hold TV that important. A friend of mine even got me a firestick for my birthday and said he'd help me set it up to see it for free but I'm not big on stealing stuff, regardless. The firestick has been a better way to watch Netflix and Amazon prime, though.

Not actually a movie, but I fell asleep during “Cats”. The only Broadway show that’s put me to sleep.

– RustyG

The road show of "Cats" played out theater three times. Total snooze fest. Broadway musical taken from a bunch of poems. Good poems, incredible costumes, amazing stage set, but one of the most boring things I've ever had to sit thru.

Odd notes: I had to go to a few local drugstores to buy non lubricated condoms for "Cats." They put the wireless belt packs in them to keep them from shorting out due to sweat. Those costumes apparently get pretty warm being fur and carpeting. The lavalier mics are all mounted on the actors foreheads, aiming down. Less chance of feedback, and it helps to keep the performers' audio levels equal.

Clockwork Orange, hated the damn thing and walked out before it was half over. A sick mind must have put it together!!

Clockwork Orange, hated the damn thing and walked out before it was half over. A sick mind must have put it together!!

– RCgold

One of my top 10 of all time. Written in 1962, which makes it amazingly predictive on a lot of levels - disenfranchised youth, moral decay, rampant drug use, looser sexual standards, random acts of violence, even the 'glam' influence.

There are some very heavy and uncomfortable issues presented in the 1972 movie and I get why a percentage of the audience and critics didn't enjoy it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation