Miscellaneous Rumbles

I Couldn’t Take It Anymore. I Had to Walk Out!

Think back, what movies brutalized you so much that you couldn't take it?

What movies beat you down so much that you had to walk out before they finished?

I can only remember two.

1. A Star is Born--Streisand/Kristofferson, I was young, and I just remember I hated it, so I left.

2. Caligula--I was in my late teens or early twenties, and I wanted to see the smut, or to be more blunt, the naked women. I couldn't take anymore of the story so I finally left with two buddies. We hated it.

There are many, many more movies I've hated, but I can't remember leaving. I'm at a point that if I pay for it, I'll stay.

How about you? What's your list?

...------

Inglourious Basterds.

I don't go to movies much. Perhaps 4 in the last dozen years.

The only one that sticks with me was Mrs. Doubtfire. I remember sitting in the lobby waiting for my wife and mother in law to finish it so we could leave.

I also remember the missus renting "Superstar" and me tearing the disc out of the player after 10 minutes and angrily returning it to the Hollywood video.

I almost walked out on a movie once but I thought I would take a chance and see how it ended. I can't remember which movie it was but I remember thinking, had I left, I would have missed a great movie. The end of it made up for all of the sleepy parts in the middle. Kills me that I can't remember which movie, though. I'm thinking it was a Pacino Movie.

If a movie were to repulse me though, I'd easily walk out in the middle.

"Out of Africa".................................the wife and I both fell asleep, she woke up and gave me a poke, and we left.

Just couldn't handle that long, drawn out, whatever it was. lol

I no longer go to theaters to see films (entry cost, snack cost, cell phones, commercials), but either stream on Prime or watch the Netflix DVDs that my wife gets. I give each movie 20 to 30 minutes. If it doesn't grab me by then or I think the movie is really lame, I stop watching it. I watch them all the way through maybe 60% of the time.

I recently abandoned a live concert after 25 minutes. It was a well-known blond female country singer and I had a front row center seat. It was the first time I left during a live concert.

Les Miserable - extreme volume of modern theatres + intense content + giant Hugh Jackson head right in my face singing and yelling at me beat me down till I had to leave.

Alexander - We almost left and then we realized it was a hilariously funny comedy that had us rolling in the aisles by the end. Nobody else seemed to get it.

The Greatest Showman - I should've walked out of this one and did actually go for a lengthy washroom break..and I like a good musical if the music is good. Great choreography but HORRIBLY forgettable and formulaic musical theatre anthems all slight variations on each other. Those 2 hours are lost forever and I had to sing the infamous song-eraser 'It's a small world' endless times to clear the pollution. To be fair i saw a trailer a long time ago and though,,what?? a circus musical?? Hugh Jackson??? and then forgot about it. So when my girlfriend asked me and forgot to remind me it was a musical, I thought, sounds interesting.... ugh!

The last one I remember was The Ladykillers. My wife and I couldn't take the constant barrage of the profanity. The movie was boring anyway. At least it was a free movie. We were supposed to get in to a sneak preview. We didn't get in so they gave us a free movie. We chose this one. We chose poorly.

Here’s me watching “The Exorcist” I thought it was funny. My brother, a rough, tough construction worker at the time, was badly shaken by it.

One of the Woody Allen movies, can't remember which one

As a projectionist, I've had to sit thru many movies that I wanted to walk out on. As I was being paid, I stuck thru them. The worst were so called "art" movies---like Merchant-Ivory gab fests. Some were great, others were mind numbing. We'd get foreign student organization's movies. Instead of arriving on reels, one film showed up in paper grocery bags with the end taped to the top. For regular Hollywood fare, I can't handle the average horror movies. Jump scares and gore don't interest me much. A hitch in a combat zone would cure anyone wanting to watch those. I'm not much of a musical fan. People breaking into song at odd times (where's the orchestra music coming from?) makes little sense. There are always exceptions---the Blues Bros. being one.

It wasn't all horrible. The film "A Night On Earth" wasn't terribly bad. One of five vignettes had to be the funniest 20 minutes of film I've ever seen---the Roberto Benini part. It's ever bit as funny as any Mel Brooks fare.

Only 1. The Pianist. At leas 30 minutes at the beginning of one Nazi atrocity after another. Maybe Polanski lived this and has the right to film it, but I don't have to watch. Mind-bendingly brutal.

Funny,,but I have Caligula running on a loop in the Man Cave.

Hunger Games

Out of Africa

The English Patient

Secrets and Lies and the movie Naked, just about any Mike Leigh movie

Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets

Gods of Egypt

There are a few others that were dreadful that I stayed to watch since I paid.

...------

On my list of all time favorites is "Out of Africa;" but, I found it horribly sad. So, that's why they make lots of movies--some of us hate some others love.

Worst movie I've watched was supposed to be wonderful. It was brutal, horrible, I wish I had known to walk out before the last 10 minutes: Gone Girl.

Odd...

So far, I liked, Sid and Nancy, Inglorious Basterds, The Exorcist, A Night on Earth and Gone Girl! These were mentioned above.

...------

As a projectionist, I've had to sit thru many movies that I wanted to walk out on. As I was being paid, I stuck thru them. The worst were so called "art" movies---like Merchant-Ivory gab fests. Some were great, others were mind numbing. We'd get foreign student organization's movies. Instead of arriving on reels, one film showed up in paper grocery bags with the end taped to the top. For regular Hollywood fare, I can't handle the average horror movies. Jump scares and gore don't interest me much. A hitch in a combat zone would cure anyone wanting to watch those. I'm not much of a musical fan. People breaking into song at odd times (where's the orchestra music coming from?) makes little sense. There are always exceptions---the Blues Bros. being one.

It wasn't all horrible. The film "A Night On Earth" wasn't terribly bad. One of five vignettes had to be the funniest 20 minutes of film I've ever seen---the Roberto Benini part. It's ever bit as funny as any Mel Brooks fare.

– wabash slim

Haha. I used to be a projectionist too. I think I saw less movies then. People used to think "it must be great, you get to watch all the movies." I used to just check the frame and focus then go read or something else.

Battlefield Earth.

Truly, an unwatchable turd on film.

Those first two "new" Star Wars films. If my young nephew weren't with me I would have walked out. George Lucas still owes me $40. Awful.

For the price of admission to a new film, you can get a copy of a whole season of "Have Gun Will Travel," or a classic Jacques Tati film, or just about anything better than some lame comic book remake. And I like comic books.

Looking For Mr. Goodbar. About half of the theater audience booed at the end.

I despised many Coen Brothers movies, many that people truly love.

I did not walk out, but it was brutal to sit through...

Barton Fink

The Big Lewboski

Fargo

...and the worst was A Serious Man.

Good Lord those brutalized me. There are a few Coen Bros. movies that I like a lot.

...------

Truly astonishing. The friends I went with grew up on "Saved by the Bell," so they had a particular prurient interest in this movie. I could not believe what I was watching. It was the most hilariously awful train wreck I have ever seen. And not by a little. We stuck it out, but wow, it was brutally bad.

Dune. It was long and ponderous. All of my sci-fi buddies ate it up as they'd read the book(s), but to me it was like watching floorwax dry. Made even more uncomfortable because we were sitting on folding chairs at a makeshift army theater.

Dune!

I may have walked out of Dune, but I can't remember for sure.

I think I did, and it was a "midnight" showing, so it was brutally difficult to stay away and remember if I left before it was over.

...------

Register Sign in to join the conversation