Miscellaneous Rumbles

How’s This for a Friend?

I put a Fishman Loudbox Artist on layaway at a local guitar shop a few weeks ago. I'm starting to work up a solo acoustic project, and I figured that somewhere down the road I would need amplification to do live, in-person shows. I dont really have the money for it right now, but I figured by spring/summer, when maybe/possibly things might start opening up a bit for outdoor performances, I would pay it off and be ready to roll.

Enter my friend, Dan. We go way back and have been through wives/girlfriends, kids, bands, moving, jobs, health stuff, etc. I have more than a few troublesome balls in the air at the moment that have been weighing on me.  Yesterday,  he texts me " Go and pick up your Loudbox. Any time after today, they will have a fresh, boxed one waiting for you. All paid up. You're welcome and there will be no further discussion of this." He followed up with , "We [he and his wife] thought you needed something good happening."

I was gobsmacked, to say the least,  and a little mad that he would spend that much dough to do something nice for my dumb-ass . . .a $10 DQ gift certificate would have sufficed. We do small stuff like this for each other frequently, and I know if the situation were reversed, I wouldn't hesitate to do the same. I am not just grateful to have such a friend who would do this for me, but beyond grateful to have such a friend, period!

Never look a gift horse in the mouth... or my favorite saying, "Giving is its own reward".

I understand how you feel. I was raised by my parents to be a giver... always a giver, and I don't "keep score" either.

The flipside to that is that I was never really taught how to be a good "receiver". When someone gives to me, gracious gratefulness is sometimes difficult to demonstrate with sincerity. Because receiving is more alien to me, I often find it difficult to allow others to find the same pleasure by giving to me.

The best thing in your situation is that a pre-existing friendship already cements your relationship, so it's a better comfort zone for both of you. Just roll with it, and pay it forward somewhere down the line.

My faith in humanity is slightly restored every time I hear stories like this. It's good to have friends, for sure.

You have a real friend, Andy, that's a really nice thing he and his missus did for you.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth... or my favorite saying, "Giving is its own reward".

I understand how you feel. I was raised by my parents to be a giver... always a giver, and I don't "keep score" either.

The flipside to that is that I was never really taught how to be a good "receiver". When someone gives to me, gracious gratefulness is sometimes difficult to demonstrate with sincerity. Because receiving is more alien to me, I often find it difficult to allow others to find the same pleasure by giving to me.

The best thing in your situation is that a pre-existing friendship already cements your relationship, so it's a better comfort zone for both of you. Just roll with it, and pay it forward somewhere down the line.

– Tartan Phantom

Indeed, on all counts, Rob!

Friends don't come better than this, Andy!!

Your friend is racking up some serious good karma points!

Register Sign in to join the conversation