Miscellaneous Rumbles

How to choose your favorite team?

Spiritwalker , I dont really understand baseball , and it may just be the photo, but he doesnt look like the kinda guy i would cheer for ;-p

Spiritwalker , I dont really understand baseball , and it may just be the photo, but he doesnt look like the kinda guy i would cheer for ;-p

– eCastro

Alex Rodriguez could have been a God. He's a very handsome, extremely talented baseball player who played for the iconic New York Yankees. A perfect ball player -- he could hit for power, field anything hit to him. But he got caught up in the world of performance enhancing drugs and he instantly went from his nickname A-Rod to A-Roid and became a pariah in the sports world.

I guess he doesn't care really. He made millions of dollars and dated every top celebrity here. Madonna, Kate Hudson, Cameron Diaz...A-Roid gets them all. The guy sure led a colorful life:

He was an incredibly gifted baseball player:

With Cameron Diaz:

Taunted by rival fans because of his hook ups with Madonna:

Now dating Jennifer Lopez:

But he will always be remembered as a disgrace to the sport he played:

You don't choose your team, the team chooses you.

Y.N.W.A!

– sascha

Liverpool fan? What did Hertha ever do to you? ; )

When I was a kid I dreamed of being Johan Cruijff and I was born (although not raised) in Amsterdam... So you can guess which team chose me..... ; )

Liverpool fan? What did Hertha ever do to you? ; )

When I was a kid I dreamed of being Johan Cruijff and I was born (although not raised) in Amsterdam... So you can guess which team chose me..... ; )

– Danman

Johan was one of the most amazing players of all time. His playing and the way he interpreted the game as both player and coach/manager is the foundation of modern football for me.

Yep, I'm a Scouser for reasons I don't know. Not a hardcore fan but the club always fascinated me. Never had a Berlin team really but as Hertha and LFC were both founded in 1892 they do anniversary friendly matches from time to time. 125th this July at Olympiastadion.

Cool to see we don't run out of topics if we get a little tired of guitars.

I didn't.

Born & raised in Colorado, I'm a Bronco fan by birth. The team is one year older than me.

In local football I just supported the local club, and it was a good club to support. As a 9 year old my dad and I went to every match that season and my team Subiaco ended up winning the premiership, so I was very happy. When my own son was a similar age we went and saw Subiaco win a premiership and took my dad with me. It was not quite the same as national football has taken the huge crowds away from state football in Australia but it was still a lot of fun.

When I was a kid my favourite player was Mike Fitzpatrick because he played ruck just as I did in my under-tens team. So when Mike left Subiaco to play with Carlton in Melbourne (the much more lucrative VFL competition) I became a Carlton supporter. And man, were they a great team to follow in the 70s and 80s.

Like most major sports these days Aussie rules football is not the game it used to be. Too much money has spoilt it a lot. Not as badly as $$ has spoilt European football, but it's just not the same. If I follow a team now it would be Fremantle because they are purple, have good people at the club and are local. We also have the West Coast Eagles but I have never really taken to them because the name is American sounding, the club is a bunch of prima-donnas and their fans drink chardonnay.

But the clubs make too much money, the tickets cost too much and the "gurus" who talk about the game dribble nonsense. Football these days is about players playing for their showreel, not for their team. Especially in Europe.

In local football I just supported the local club, and it was a good club to support. As a 9 year old my dad and I went to every match that season and my team Subiaco ended up winning the premiership, so I was very happy. When my own son was a similar age we went and saw Subiaco win a premiership and took my dad with me. It was not quite the same as national football has taken the huge crowds away from state football in Australia but it was still a lot of fun.

When I was a kid my favourite player was Mike Fitzpatrick because he played ruck just as I did in my under-tens team. So when Mike left Subiaco to play with Carlton in Melbourne (the much more lucrative VFL competition) I became a Carlton supporter. And man, were they a great team to follow in the 70s and 80s.

Like most major sports these days Aussie rules football is not the game it used to be. Too much money has spoilt it a lot. Not as badly as $$ has spoilt European football, but it's just not the same. If I follow a team now it would be Fremantle because they are purple, have good people at the club and are local. We also have the West Coast Eagles but I have never really taken to them because the name is American sounding, the club is a bunch of prima-donnas and their fans drink chardonnay.

But the clubs make too much money, the tickets cost too much and the "gurus" who talk about the game dribble nonsense. Football these days is about players playing for their showreel, not for their team. Especially in Europe.

– JimmyR

Are we known for naming teams after birds?

Johan was one of the most amazing players of all time. His playing and the way he interpreted the game as both player and coach/manager is the foundation of modern football for me.

Yep, I'm a Scouser for reasons I don't know. Not a hardcore fan but the club always fascinated me. Never had a Berlin team really but as Hertha and LFC were both founded in 1892 they do anniversary friendly matches from time to time. 125th this July at Olympiastadion.

Cool to see we don't run out of topics if we get a little tired of guitars.

– sascha

Hi Sascha,
He really was. I wish more teams would at least try to play as attractive and forward thinking as he did.
Not a hardcore fan of anything either. But I like to see an attractive game...

West Coast Eagles sounds more like a '70s country rock band from the USA than a football team. In fact a few years ago a friend told me he was going to Subiaco oval to see the Eagles. I was confused because it was the middle of summer. Turns out the other Eagles were playing a gig at Subiaco oval.

Register Sign in to join the conversation