Miscellaneous Rumbles

how often do you really use your whammy bar

Always. I don't know how anyone can play without one.

Always. I don't know how anyone can play without one.

– Billy Zoom

What Billy said. I especially enjoy doing fast vibrato on chords and double stops. Otherwise I add a little gentle dip to notes and chords while comping behind the singer.

Every time I play

If it’s not acoustic it needs a bigsby

See

Can't use the term 'frequently' but rather I use it appropriately & tastefully, basically in the manner Chet did, seeing as how It's his music and tunes I arrange & play in his style.

Not only is a Bigsby a useful tool - like a tone control/pup selections is - but they look terrific on Gretsches! On an acoustic they look nauseous, regardless of who's playing......no offense to the player

Some tunes my hand is on it through the whole thing and some I don't use it at all. On most I use it at least a little.

Chords, double stops, lead and melody lines, harmonics are all fair game for getting whammyed.

I use it a lot more on my Gretsch's than I do my Strat, funny I never really thought about that.

I only use it occasionally but but think that a Gretsch doesn’t look complete without one.

I use mine a fair bit. My Gibsons are hardtail but both Gretsches have Bigsbys and I have been a Strat player for ages. I get pretty aggressive with the bar and I keep in tune remarkably well all things considered. The secret is good old fashioned pencil lead on the saddles and nut slots and lots of it. I love doing dips and swoops and shakes with the whammy, it's great for doing wicked stuff with feedback. I'm even able to make the Bigsby carry out things that sound pretty close to dive bombs on my 5622TCB.

I use mine a fair bit. My Gibsons are hardtail but both Gretsches have Bigsbys and I have been a Strat player for ages. I get pretty aggressive with the bar and I keep in tune remarkably well all things considered. The secret is good old fashioned pencil lead on the saddles and nut slots and lots of it. I love doing dips and swoops and shakes with the whammy, it's great for doing wicked stuff with feedback. I'm even able to make the Bigsby carry out things that sound pretty close to dive bombs on my 5622TCB.

– Brother E

The pencil lead is something I just started doing and it works incredibly well for free basically!

Only on my Jazzmaster. Mainly for Surf music. My 6121 has the handle wound back, and my Strat is a hardtail.

I’m getting there. Much better since i pinned the bridge down.

Only when I feel the urge.

If you just barely move the lever, it will keep the note sustaining, even though you don't hear the Vibrato. It's part of playing guitar, not just an effect.

Man, Billy, I ain't got that touch anymore as I have a hard time feeling my fingers, but I wish you were my friend many years ago so you might had passed that on way back when. The thing about not knowing anybody that does not use one, I'm not really sure where we could start. Eric and Jerry come to mind right away.

Not as much as i used to do. At this point only two of my guitars have functioning vibratos, the Pro Jet to which i added the Dynas and B3 and a Epiphone SG with a Vibrola. For most of the past year i played a Rickenbacker 360 that i had an incredibly hard time working my way into. At some point in the near future I'm going to be using it more, though...i have stuff i want to record that'll require one type of vibrato or another. I need to get a Strat that i can set up with the bridge floating, and I'm also thinking about getting a Squier Jazzmaster.

My favorite way to use it lately in some songs ive been coming up with is just to give a slight dip to chords, not a wiggle, just gives it more emotion or something

Rickenbackers have good wangers.

enough to miss it when it's not there

I call it "Bigsby's Palsy" I get it every time I switch from my 5420T to the Pro Jet

Register Sign in to join the conversation