Miscellaneous Rumbles

How often do you clean you’re guitars?

After every third set of strings, so once every 15 years.

– crowbone

Haha you sound like my dad

I'd like to also add that I think there's an obvious difference in playability if you clean off a filthy guitar, but how many think regular cleanings are a mental thing? I clean mine with every string change and I'm always like "wow, it plays so much better!" when really it's the same haha. Fretboard conditioning is something I've seen tangible results with though

Haha you sound like my dad

– Chmason85

Sonny boy, is that you?

I'd like to also add that I think there's an obvious difference in playability if you clean off a filthy guitar, but how many think regular cleanings are a mental thing? I clean mine with every string change and I'm always like "wow, it plays so much better!" when really it's the same haha. Fretboard conditioning is something I've seen tangible results with though

– Chmason85

It's the same as your car driving better with a full tank of gas.

It's the same as your car driving better with a full tank of gas.

– crowbone

Or after cleaning your car. I swear my car runs and drives better after I wash it. It just does. Can't explain it.

I've had to use baby powder when I've played one of my guitars with a black painted neck ('66 Hagstrom and a '92 Ric 330). Don't know why these are the only ones with which I've had that problem. Just make sure it's a pure talc baby powder, and not something like "Shower-to-Shower" which has extra stuff in it that gunks up the neck. I dust when I see dust, and clean the necks and fretboards before band practice and gigs.

The guitars I still have are all out on wall hangers and I dust them off every few days. When I happen to play one, not very often anymore, I always give it a good wipe down when done and be sure to clean the strings.

I have very dry hands so I don't sweat the strings gooey, but I just get longer life and less expense with the cleaning. I try to keep my guitars looking as new and nice as possible.

Friday night I played with a country band at the local Eagles hall for a fish fry--not my usual sort of gig these days. The place was packed and noisy, and there was some dancing going on. I love it when folks get out and two-step to Ray Price songs, so we played a bunch of real honky-tonkers one after another. The rest of the band was a generation younger than I am and less experienced with that catalogue of material, so I ended up doing more than my share of the singing and pretty much took control of the groove for most of the night.

On Saturday I pulled my guitar out of the case and it was disgusting. I hadn't realized that I was working hard because I was having a bunch of fun playing '50s country songs, but it was clear from the dried up jive all over the guitar that I had perspired a good bit during the gig. I spent some time swabbing the strings and cleaning the crust off the neck and body of the guitar. The poly finish on modern Gretsch guitars is a bullet-proof marvel. My 5120 with TV Jones PUPs gets a good work-out on country jobs while the Tele sits at home. It's the only poly finished guitar I own, and in spite of occasional hard use, it looks like new after a little spit shine.

When I do get to play out, I never really pay attention to the guitar itself during the actual event. Only later the next day when I put them away or give them a look over do I see all the spit spots, fingerprints, and general smears all over it. It lets me know that it needs cleaning to remove all the DNA all over it. I tidy singer I am not.....

I clean my guitar when it gets either sticky or embarrassing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation