Miscellaneous Rumbles

How do you like your venison?

A friend gave me a few pounds of bambi. Usually I slow smoke it over maple with no seasoning. I'm looking for different ideas. Watcha got?

any way is fine as long as they're out of the damn road. every car i've had since i moved to Virginia has suffered deer damage. there are more of them here than i've ever seen anywhere else, and i've been to countrified areas and national parks from sea to shining sea. one actually attacked a coworker who was riding a road bike and suffered minor injuries. we need wolves here in the worst way. there are a number of people here who would eat them just out of revenge, i think.

I like my venison in my belly-- how it's prepared before it gets there is of no consequence. It's my favorite red meat by far.

If you have steaks, try cutting them in long strips, rub them with fresh cut garlic, dash them with onion powder and wrap them in bacon before throwing them on the grill.

If you have cut cubes or ground venison, both make a great stew- I normally prepare venison stew with a beef stock and add the usual stew veggies plus pearl barley.

If you have backstrap, it's great by itself just seared in a pan with a little olive oil and black pepper and garlic powder.

I ran into one with my old Thunderbird. Finding parts was a bitch.

I'm thinking that I might wrap some in bacon and smoke it.

Deer chops and eggs for breakfast! Seasoned and fried like any other meat, then the rest is venison stew!

Stew! I'm definitely putting some in my slow cooker. Great idea.

Those animals need to be more careful when they're near roadways. They should use more Deer Prudence.

Roasts in the crockpot with taters, carrots, and onions.

Steaks...soak a couple handfuls of mesquite chips in a bowl of warm water for about an hour. Get your charcoal going. Drain the water out of the bowl of wood chips, dump the charcoal in the grill, sprinkle the mesquite over the coals and Immediately put on the grate, meat on top, and cover it Right now!

Enjoy one my favorite smells on this flat earth as you give the steaks about 6-7 minutes each side.

That’s my favorite way, anyway. (Also works amazing with pork or chicken, just need to adjust your times.)

This time of year it’s gotta be slow cooked or in a stew.

The last time I had venison it was chopped up in taco form. It was utterly nasty and I haven't had it since. I was been told that based on my description of how it tasted (which I no longer remember), that it was almost certainly a butchering screw up, like a nicked intestine or something. I haven't sworn it off, but I haven't seen it on a menu in quite some time.

In our area, there's a guy that makes Deer sausage with Deer, Beef and Pork mix that is beyond awesome. We have bought them from him for the past 6 years or so.

Best thing about Indiana venison is that it's corn fed. The place where I get my kielbasa is a small butcher shop out in the fields on a back road near South Bend. He's a state licensed deer processor and will dress it and prepare it anyway you want. The steaks are tasty, especially on the grille, smoked with mesquite or sassafras chips.

I grew up in Michigan where Deer Hunting was an annual ritual and where our Math Teacher's husband was an avid hunter.

She brought some in for the class and asked the kids what kinda meat they thought it was.

One said Beef? No.

Pork? Nope.

Bison!!?? Try again! Take anther piece.

I'll give ya a clue: It's what your Mommy calls your Daddy!

Billy hollered out: "Spit it out, it's Asshole"!

Stew is good.

Sausage is delish.

Chili is my favorite.

I agree. Chili is best.

My neighbor has been supplying us with Antelope all this past year, but the Venison is now soon to come. We've been discussing cuts...

I've offered to make a large Venison dinner that we then split using my Weber Charcoal Rotisserie and a lesser Roast Cut...I'm a bit behind in my use of this wonderful gadget.

They should use more Deer Prudence.

I’ve always wondered, but was afraid to ask, just what Paul had going on with Martha.

Martha was a favorite pet Sheepdog, and yes it would be prudent not to ask.

But, all dogs like Poultry cooked over Charcoal!

My neighbor has been supplying us with Antelope all this past year, but the Venison is now soon to come. We've been discussing cuts...

I've offered to make a large Venison dinner that we then split using my Weber Charcoal Rotisserie and a lesser Roast Cut...I'm a bit behind in my use of this wonderful gadget.

– Twangmeisternyc

Taste-wise, what's the difference between antelope and deer?

Martha was a favorite pet dog

Well I declare! That’s even worse! You mean he was so wacked out on that marryjuwanna and LDS that he couldn’t even tell what SPECIES Martha was? I hope he got hisself reported to the ASCAP.

Out here in Arizona, we have Rocky Mountain Mule Deer. They can get to several hundred pounds in weight. The meat is very gamey due to the diet of scrub that they browse. They eat a lot of Juniper berries and sage, and all sorts of aromatic herbaceous plants.

With any venison, the strong (gamey) taste is in the blood, so making it delicious on the table starts in the field. A good clean kill (heart and lung shot) and immediately skinning, gutting, and thoroughly bleeding the carcass is absolutely necessary. It needs to be rapidly cooled down, by packing the body cavity with ice or snow, then kept cool during transport (asap) to the butchery location. A lot of otherwise good venison gets ruined by not doing the above.

I often will soak a roast or steaks overnight in a medium brine to draw out more blood. Cooking is just like any other type of meat, you either like venison or you don't, there are very few fence sitters on this one. Adding bacon fat (or bacon wrapping) is a good idea because venison is very lean.

What???? Bambi on a plate???? Tell 'em, Marisa!

Antelope burgers were great. They grind in some beef fat to make things grillable. Just do it up the way you like with condiments, roll, sides.

Antelope Meatloaf on the Weber was a similar tasty result, using Cherrywood smoke.

Antelope steaks we did 2 ways. The first I brined like a German Huntsman mix, pink salt and applesauce, juniper berries, etc., then seared. The other was to strip and slice a nice solid cut into essentially Philly Cheese Steak material, marinated, then made into sandwiches as one liked. Both very nice, but with no extra beef fat feel.

That's the challenge to rotisserie game meats, keeping it moist. Think Brazil/Argentine skewered Meat for influence. A barrel of heavy duty foil around what's spinning, then tuck in the ends to keep moisture in, etc. Low heat.

At the edge of the woods, looking cute!

Register Sign in to join the conversation