Miscellaneous Rumbles

How do you guys deal with rodents?

Play a Yoko album on a loop. They'll kill themselves.

Plug the holes, and use spring traps baited & sized for whichever critter is invading your space.

Or call a pro if funds permit doing so.

I'm not a fan of poisons. You never know where the poisoned critter will die, and a large creature will stink for many weeks if it dies inside a wall.

Mothballs (paradichlorobenzene) placed in a dish can also help to dissuade nuisance animals from taking up residence in an enclosed space.

Play a Yoko album on a loop. They'll kill themselves.

– NJBob

Unfortunately, so will everything in earshot!

"...You never know where the poisoned critter will die, and a large creature will stink for many weeks if it dies inside a wall."

This is true, but if they are already living inside those walls (on in my case, the ceiling), then the wall has to be torn down and redone anyway, so if it takes poison, so be it.

The pros use a combination of poison and spring traps, plus in our area they also place traps around the perimeter of the structure.

In the end, they removed 8 killed by spring traps and 5 killed by poison, two of which had crawled back into the ceiling to die.

Five more which I don't count as "invaders" because they never made it in were trapped and killed by the perimeter line.

It's actually scary how many of those critters are out there. We are out-numbered, they are a very real health hazard, and there's just no way to eradicate them all from a residential area. All we can do is our best to keep them out.

I have a couple cats outside and one inside. No mice, rats, or snakes near the house. Only an occasional bat in the belfry.

I've had good results (for mice) with ET Pest Control -- electronic device that emits ultrasonic sounds (does not bother pets or humans). They are reportedly effective for bats, mice, rats, squirrels, etc. I know a few others who have used these with excellent results.

https://www.amazon.com/Pest...

Wow, The Green Man is a regular for us, it’s a less than 2 mile walk across open fields - beautiful in the summer, but dang cold this time o’ year. Shame we didn’t know. Do holler us up if you’re back this way.

Thanks all once again. I suppose they could be just mice. I’m going to chicken wire all the eaves tomorrow and cut down a tall rose out front which I suspect is the culprit for them gaining access. I’ve got 2 big cage-type traps which I’ll bait and leave up there so hopefully it’ll be the beginning of the end of the problem.

As far as ripping walls out, it’s a 500+ year old house and I don’t think English Heritage would be too keen on that. They’re not cavity walls per se, but after all these years cavities certainly exist about the place.

We do have a cat and she’s fairly interested when the scratching starts, but she’s 17, so of little threat to them really.

Two healthy adult cats oughta do the trick!

My elderly neighbor thinks its a good idea to leave cat food in the streets for the local cats,I explained to her that she's also keeping the rat population well fed.

I have rottweilers and was concerned with using the rat Poison, they sell Enclosed poisoned bait dispensers if your concerned with probably poisoning other creatures. The hole is large enough for only a rat sized creature.They do work,I would occasionally find dead rats on the sidewalk. Havent seen any in about a year so I know its doing its job.

Munman mentioned the "bucket" method for catching rats,my buddy made one of those traps and from what he told me they work really well. Once the bucket is full you can unload it and not worry about carcasses left behind.

Parabar: couple of businesslike pest control operatives you got there.

Chief operative pest control officer Chez Thomas : no more mice around... although I have to say a dormouse family found their way into the depths of the ceiling/drywall labyrinth we have, out of reach even for him... guess they'll have to come out in the spring...

Hawaii has always had a giant rat problem. The first Polynesians brought them by accident in the canoes from Tahiti. In the early 1900's They brought the Indian Mongoose here to rid the isles of them, only issue is that rats are nocturnal, mongoose are diurnal, so by 6pm the mongoose are headed to bed and the rats come out.

That said, T-rex traps work great. I don't know if they sell them in England but we use them in our building. They are stronger, quicker and more deadly than common wooden and spring traps. Look them up. The green baits work well, but have to be kept away from pets as they are sweet to the taste.

We have several feral cats that live in my neighborhood and along my cliff, they do the job. I haven't had a mouse or rat in over 10 yrs. since the cats showed up.

I made some...they work, although I need to get some wider buckets and make longer rollers.

Bigger rats can lean out and get the peanut butter.

My parents live in the country, and their are some big rats out in the country that are trying to stay warm in garages.

...------

Dang it's like wild kingdom around here --

It has been mentioned before, ... Be sure you will find the carcass if you use poison.

Worst smell on the Planet to dig a rat out of your wall...

Just a thought, but if they're in the wall already, it's gonna have to come down anyway. Rats like wires, doorbells being a special delicacy (usually doorbell wire is plant based, apparently), they use fibreglass insulation as nesting material, and they create runs and warrens between the joists... Once they're inside, that wall must go.

If they're rats, I build them lots of ramps, ladders, teeter totters, etc, and I feed them a variety of foods. If they're squirrels, I just give them walnuts and peanuts. Squirrels are to hyper to play with in the house

Parabar: couple of businesslike pest control operatives you got there.

– Dave_K

Those aren't mine, but when I lived in the country I had between two and six cats --- and no rodent problems.

Gophers are apparently delicious --- the cats would eat everything except the large intestine and snout with those big front teeth. Mice were also evidently quite tasty --- very little leftovers. Rats were more for sport --- the cats would leave dead ones around to show their prowess, but didn't seem inclined to munch on them.

Those aren't mine, but when I lived in the country I had between two and six cats --- and no rodent problems.

Gophers are apparently delicious --- the cats would eat everything except the large intestine and snout with those big front teeth. Mice were also evidently quite tasty --- very little leftovers. Rats were more for sport --- the cats would leave dead ones around to show their prowess, but didn't seem inclined to munch on them.

– Parabar

The only thing my mousers won’t eat is moles. Maybe it’s the hyperhemaglobin that makes them taste like s*$t.

That and bird hearts. They eat the beaks, feet and feathers but leave the heart. Go figure.

– Parabar

How,how how how.......meow

I've had some new arrivals around the neighborhood, all cats. Mau Mau the older black cat with the twisted in a knot tail, we've known him for about 3 yrs.. Zorro the little girl I thought was a boy, and a new tom that runs the neighborhood. They keep everything in check it seems.

Well, I went up into the loft to check things out and there’s a dead squirrel in a cage trap we put up there a couple of years ago and I forgot all about. I’d checked it periodically when we put it in and I know it was empty at least in late July ‘17 and it kinda slipped of the radar, especially as I assumed we’d here anything we’d caught trying to get out. It may have been him making all the noise last week, but I doubt it as the carcass was only partly there if you get my meaning; I guess you can guess the rest...

So, I put 2 snappy rat traps and another cage trap up there, all baited with Sun-Pat and I’m checking daily, but so far nothing caught and no further noise. I guess we scared him away and with no serve-yourself squirrel around there’s no reason to come back.

Time will tell...

This looks pretty good, CO2 powered, automatically resets, they're pricey though.

Better video, this thing stacks them up

Register Sign in to join the conversation