Miscellaneous Rumbles

Homemade Pizza Oven

I made a pizza oven out of a kettle grill. Not a Weber but a cheap Lowe’s kettle. Not their brand but something they sell. I had one before but after about 8 years of use it was warn out. With pizza thermal dynamics matter. I will have to do some adjustments but so far so good.

First was a cutout for the propane burner. This is it from the outside.

On the grill or pizza stone actually. Charging is good but it’s a bit burnt on the side. I’ll have to pay more attention next time.

The last was a test pizza. I didn’t put a lot into the actual “pie”. The pizza stones are actually two 15 inch kiln shelving. I can place a 20 inch in the 22.5 inch kettle with enough room for airflow. I’ll do that so I can do an 18 inch New York style pizza pie.

A few years ago we had a power outage that lasted a few days. We had some frozen pizzas that were starting to thaw. I threw some maple on the barbecue and cooked them at low temp on a stone. Best frozen pizza I ever had.

What, no Charcoal?

– Twangmeisternyc

Oh I’ve done that before but it ends up being too much trouble but I do use charcoal for low and slow bbq.

A few years ago we had a power outage that lasted a few days. We had some frozen pizzas that were starting to thaw. I threw some maple on the barbecue and cooked them at low temp on a stone. Best frozen pizza I ever had.

– UncleGrumpy

Sounds delicious!

Ya need to keep the pizza off the direct heat.

Ya need to keep the pizza off the direct heat.

– UncleGrumpy

True. The burnt part was to close to the edge of the stone and the heat was rapping around it and burnt it.

I grew up on Staten island Ny. We are proud of our pizza. I may be wrong but I think real pizza ovens are made of brick and are coal heated at around 400 degrees with the heat being even all around. If you can get close to that then you have a winner.

I grew up on Staten island Ny. We are proud of our pizza. I may be wrong but I think real pizza ovens are made of brick and are coal heated at around 400 degrees with the heat being even all around. If you can get close to that then you have a winner.

– UncleGrumpy

Heated to about 800 to 1000 degrees. Fortunately we have a Grimaldi’s here in So Cal and they use coal like you mention. With all these crazy California environmental laws it’s a wonder they were approved. Grimaldi’s started in NY under the bridge but they have branched out to other states. So good that pizza.

After 8 years in Manhattan, the Coal-fired Pizza is 800F+.

Lombardi's, Arturo's, and Totonno's

And then there is the place in Philly, Tacconelli's, only designating Brick now...was Coal our last visit...but, apparently the neighbor's complained...it's in a row home in the center of the block.

True. The burnt part was to close to the edge of the stone and the heat was rapping around it and burnt it.

– ThePolecats

The stone seems to doing it's job of dispersing the heat. Maybe raise the stone or lower the temperature.

After 8 years in Manhattan, the Coal-fired Pizza is 800F+.

Lombardi's, Arturo's, and Totonno's

And then there is the place in Philly, Tacconelli's, only designating Brick now...was Coal our last visit...but, apparently the neighbor's complained...it's in a row home in the center of the block.

– Twangmeisternyc

800F makes more sense. Nothing like New York pizza or bagels. I miss both.

Pepperoni, Italian sausage, and mushrooms for me. Looks tasty!

Dammit! Now I’m hungry again.

Sorry people, but wood in the oven, not charcoal, please! (Sitting 30 km from Italy, pizza is just local here...)

Very innovative and useful! Great job on the pizza oven TPC!

Thanks guys!

Oh I wanted pepperoni and sausage but I was short on ingredients and made this simple pizza just as a test run. Next time I’ll have more toppings.

In a month I’ll post another. I have to tweak the oven thermal dynamics a bit first.

800F makes more sense. Nothing like New York pizza or bagels. I miss both.

– UncleGrumpy

H&H Bagels @ W. 80th and Broadway was the best...great fun to head up there to food shop.

Then they also had their volume/wholesale location near the Ship Terminal @ W. 44th and West Side Highway...a little harder to get to on foot.

Then they got financially overextended and failed...sad day for NYC.

Someone now has the name and makes them in a factory somewhere in Manhattan...no clue what those are like.

No Pizza Shop in the City stayed open very long if they didn't make a competitive, well-presented pie...most tried to be unique.

Sorry people, but wood in the oven, not charcoal, please! (Sitting 30 km from Italy, pizza is just local here...)

– Thomas

exactly!! coal???..wood baby!!!

large majority of nyc pizzerias had bari ovens!!!

nyc pizzi and bagels...nothin better...ate my share!!! haha

cheers

Register Sign in to join the conversation