Miscellaneous Rumbles

Hitting the dreaded “down” button!

I want to stress, too, these tools are for you, the community. Use them wisely and judiciously. Just like it says on the tin: if you think a post has no value, is inflammatory or is spam, then vote it down.

If you think a post has been collapsed when it shouldn't have been, give it a vote up.

These things are the voice of the community. Make your voice heard as needed. And if the community is trying to tell you something, listen to them.

It should have been mentioned earlier, but I didn't think about it.. you cannot vote someone down accidentally. Downvotes have to be confirmed. So you don't have to worry about accidentals.

And listen, if you're downvoting something just because you dislike the person, knock it off. That's stupid, petty and mean. If you think you see something like that, give it your upvote -- again, it's the consensus of the community so make your voice heard. And let me know, too.

I've been trying to stay out of this. That said, I think the rules are, and have been, pretty clear. "Make your comment worth reading. And don't be a Jerk." Has there been a full moon or something on top of this BOMB Cyclone pressure on my head because lately it seems like we've been trying to turn off all of the newbies that have came in, in the past few weeks.

I noticed a few new guys really excited about they're guitars and them some really weird threads that seemed to be aimed at dragging out the trolls. The reason I'm not a target is because I normally stay out of the S*** storm but since Baxter asked I will say that if you start attacking someones religion, or evidently social status, or whatever torques your undies and call someone names or the such, well, you've opened yourself up for it. Then the rest of us get to sit back with popcorn, or whatever, and watch in wonderment. Then Baxter gets to try and clean it up when people complain about a post getting shut down because the community saw fit to vote it down I have voted many threads up and a few down. That's why it's there. I vote down the comment, not the person. I will say I make more effort NOT to click down then doing it and it will make me think a second before doing it. As far as it happening by accident, I'm with Bax. I don't think enough accidental down vote happen to actually shut one down. I'm not aware of the number but I'll trust Bax on that one. I have noticed that I usually agree with a large number of the ones voted down.

So many times I've typed something similar but decided not to hit send just because I wanted to stay out of the cross-hairs and at least come off looking like a decent sort of fella on the interwebs. In reality I really don't give two S***'s what people think of me because I already know who I am and don't need the recognition or attention. Like Rodney King said "Can't we all just get along?" And I'll say now and forever, I love all of my Brothers and Sisters on the GDP and that's just that.

Baxter, I hope I didn't cross any lines in my post.

Hmm, typing at the same time and covered nearly the same topics.

I want to stress, too, these tools are for you, the community. Use them wisely and judiciously. Just like it says on the tin: if you think a post has no value, is inflammatory or is spam, then vote it down.

If you think a post has been collapsed when it shouldn't have been, give it a vote up.

These things are the voice of the community. Make your voice heard as needed. And if the community is trying to tell you something, listen to them.

It should have been mentioned earlier, but I didn't think about it.. you cannot vote someone down accidentally. Downvotes have to be confirmed. So you don't have to worry about accidentals.

And listen, if you're downvoting something just because you dislike the person, knock it off. That's stupid, petty and mean. If you think you see something like that, give it your upvote -- again, it's the consensus of the community so make your voice heard. And let me know, too.

– Baxter

Hey Bax, to your point about downvotes having to be confirmed, how do you mean exactly? When downvoting the entire thread, or an individual post, or both? Cuz I constantly accidentally downvote posts when I'm scrolling on my phone and I'm never asked to confirm anything. If I noticed I've done that I usually upvote again immediately to hopefully balance it out though.

Not seeing anything. You should have one from my gmail account though.

– Baxter

Tim, I got with my provider and solved my email problems.....I think.

Just sent you that email, so let me know that you received it and thanks.

I've never used that feature. Until this thread started I barely noticed it . But watch out now!

Tim, I got with my provider and solved my email problems.....I think.

Just sent you that email, so let me know that you received it and thanks.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Thanks for the confirmation Tim.

All working and well now. Good old technical glitches, like you're probably used to by now! Lol

Thanks again

Hey Bax, to your point about downvotes having to be confirmed, how do you mean exactly? When downvoting the entire thread, or an individual post, or both? Cuz I constantly accidentally downvote posts when I'm scrolling on my phone and I'm never asked to confirm anything. If I noticed I've done that I usually upvote again immediately to hopefully balance it out though.

– built4speed

I am with you this, B4S. I think that you may have to confirm when you vote an entire thread up or down, but not on an individual post.

wow...

– TheNocturneBrain

right, right?

right, right?

– WB

Flood this thread with happy cat picts to scare away the old birds! Strum is a good cat in my opinion.

Tavo, you look happy but your cat appears to be terrified.

I like the little post-vote buttons. I'm much more likely to use the up-vote button than to post anything. Down-vote button gets very limited use.

It sounds as though the down-vote button issue is mostly with phones (or maybe tablets?), where folks are scrolling near the left edge of their screen. So shifting the button's placement slightly toward the center of the screen (or moving it to that "edit" pull-down menu, as already suggested above) would make sense.

I also think Strummerson is a good cat, but when I checked earlier I could not reach his profile to send a PM to tell him so.

Everybody has a bad day, now & again.

I only ever use the up button... plenty of drama happening for real elsewhere, I don't come here for that. Strum, not telling you to let bullies bully, but you seem to take the bait with appetite... that sure must be stimulating them....

It is also apparent that this button is a rather large source of controversy here... Seems to me it might be worth getting rid of such a button.

Well, I don't think it's a source of controversy, I think some people want to blame it for their own controversial comments. Which would further reinforce to me that it's working as intended.

I think Ric12 explained the purpose and how it works pretty well, as did I. And I haven't heard any compelling argument against it other than something along the lines of "I don't like it because I don't think anyone should ever be able to say anything I say is out of line"

But, in the interest of trying to make this constructive, what do you think effective self-policing controls for the community would be? I'm open to new suggestions (although I'll tell you right now, it'll be awhile before they'd be implemented, even if I think they're a honking great idea. I have a more-than-full plate right now).

– Baxter

Well I’m not sure what a good “self policing” system would be, but I just hit the down vote button twice while scrolling through this topic. By accident! There is clearly an issue with where it is placed on the screen!

So how is a “down vote” confirmed?

I’m just curious because I do hit it quite often by accident.

Maybe we need a butt-hurt emoji.

When you up-vote, the number on the post increases. When you down-vote, a dialogue box pops up asking "are you sure you want to mark this as spam or inflammatory content?" You then have to confirm yes or no; down-voting is a thoughtfully designed two-step process.

I don't know about others but it is drama like this that has kept me from participating in this forum.

– GreTschocaster

To a lesser degree, I'm in the same camp. This stuff does not/has not kept me off the site. (FWIW, I made another donation Wednesday -- not bragging, it just happens to be true.)

These "conversations" reduce my interest in and tendency to spend time here -- but obviously I still do.

Not knocking or attacking anyone here. I usually skip these threads.....

some other guitar forums, display from what forum member the likes (or dislikes ) come from..this certainly reduces wanton meanness & trolling...perhaps a similar policy should happen here..software permitting!!! hah

who knew "simple" guitar forums were so complicated??

besides bax!! (thanks)

cheers

When you up-vote, the number on the post increases. When you down-vote, a dialogue box pops up asking "are you sure you want to mark this as spam or inflammatory content?" You then have to confirm yes or no; down-voting is a thoughtfully designed two-step process.

– lx

I look at this site from my I-phone and I’ve never seen a dialogue box pop up when I have tapped the down button.

I’m over it..... honestly i don’t give a rats ass now.

I was just fricken curious if anyone else had the same issue and felt like it was a flaw in the layout of the page.

I look at this site from my I-phone and I’ve never seen a dialogue box pop up when I have tapped the down button.

I’m over it..... honestly i don’t give a rats ass now.

I was just fricken curious if anyone else had the same issue and felt like it was a flaw in the layout of the page.

– Hipbone

Well, Devil be damned, you know you can't ask a simple question around here

Pretty sure I accidentally downvoted myself one time

Flood this thread with happy cat picts to scare away the old birds! Strum is a good cat in my opinion.

– TheNocturneBrain

Ha, ha.... I love this pic.

I like everybody here, I like Baxter's setup of the site, Ric's explanation. I'm a big fan of both JD and Strumm....it just seems like they are 2 hockey players I'm a fan of who seem to square off when on the ice.......example: Probert vs. Domi

Wabash's love for Polish food makes my day....and then makes me hungry!!!

There was someone years ago that I got into a heated exchange with that got fairly mean-spirited but I have nothing but good feelings towards this place and how it's run.

I'm not even going to name any more folks as everyone is tops in my book.

I don't recall that I have intentionally voted up or down on any post ever. I don't look at this site on a mobile phone, but with Facebook messenger scrolling on a phone is really frustrating because negative faces and thumbs down are often inadvertantly added and cannot be reversed (at least I've tried and have never been successful).

I didn't even know about the ability to vote an entire thread up or down till now--imagine that after a decade here. I was playing around with that feature in this thread and an up vote goes away when the page is refreshed. I tried the same thing on a "non toxic" thread and the up vote stayed after I refreshed. In all cases, I was never able to down vote a thread and never once did I get some confirmatory request in order to (attempt) a down vote of an entire thread.

Tavo's cat looks.....uneasy...

Register Sign in to join the conversation