Miscellaneous Rumbles

Hitting the dreaded “down” button!

I find it refreshing that we have a choice, if we like, we can vote up or down someone’s comment. Yet, I inadvertently push the “down” button as I scroll through while on my phone. Curious if anyone else finds themselves doing this?

I know I have done this many times. I’m pretty sure I have never purposely voted down someone’s comment.

Well, that would excuse the childish sack of human (or animal) feces who votes down almost any comment of mine, no matter what, including multiple instances including pictures of my kids.

Bear with me, HB, I'm just going to do a little experiment...

I thought you could negate a markdown with a mark up, but it seems to add the plus rather than negate the minus (sorry Strum, I did it to your by mistake in that test, hopefully it'll leave no bad residue).

EDIT: Yes, it looks like it's showing the +1, so it seems once you've marked something up or down you can't reverse it back to no mark, you can only change your mind and go the other way.

I've accidentally hit the dreaded down button occasionally, by scrolling with my left hand thumb, while on my phone too. It shows a check mark, that can be reversed (I think), by hitting the up button, if you do it right away.

I think that this could be a very common explanation for many of the down votes. I'm confused as to why a voting button is there at all. I believe that it can add a competitive aspect to our posts, that doesn't necessarily need to be there.

(sorry Strum, I did it to your by mistake in that test, hopefully it'll leave no bad residue).

No worries.

Well, that would excuse the childish sack of human (or animal) feces who votes down almost any comment of mine, no matter what, including multiple instances including pictures of my kids.

– Strummerson

I'm of the school of thought that if you can't say anything nice, then STFU. It applies to thumbs down votes as well. I don't expect everyone in the world to agree with me---that'd be wrong, weird, and scary---but I'm not going to hate someone if we don't see eye to eye. I just can't see spewing vitriol if I don't agree with someone.

Besides, anyone who likes wine red guitars can't be all bad.

I inadvertently down and upvote with an alarming frequency while scrolling. At least 10 times a day. I try to remember to scroll with my right thumb instead and I just hit the quote button which seems far less judgemental.

But yeah, accidentally down voting is happening almost every time I visit this forum.

Why do we need the up and down buttons anyway.

I'm confused as to why a voting button is there at all. I believe that it can add a competitive aspect to our posts, that doesn't necessarily need to be there. -- Wade H

I know that Wade's remark was not the only one, but let me try to offer an explanation.

It used to be on the GDP many years ago that you could vote up a person and that the tally would carry over from one thread to the next. So, if Poster "A" got voted up for a particularly cogent remark, their profile on the GDP would show that they had gotten a total of "x" votes up. However, that led to ridiculous results with some people posting threads that were calculated just to get them votes up.

Bax then changed things so that now the post itself gets voted up and is no reflection upon the person creating the post. Why would he do that? Well, although this is Bax's sandbox, by and large, this is a self-regulated site. When things get out of hand, through the use of the votes up and down, the community of members has the ability to tell the poster when their posts are beginning to get out of hand. Remember what is in the posting box about not being a jerk? And making sure that your post is a good one that contributes to the community? The down votes, when enough accumulate, can actually close a person's post so that one has to extra click just to view the post. Also, if there are enough down votes for a thread as a whole, the thread will display a toxic symbol next to it in the listing of topics. Again, it is to tell the person creating the post that the community doesn't approve of what he or she is doing. To a certain extent, it also assists Baxter in quickly identifying where the trouble is and who is creating the trouble.

If you like what a person has posted, you can express your appreciation for the quality of the post or the cogency of the remarks by voting it up. It doesn't mean that that person is a popular member (which is sort of what the old system encouraged), but it does tell the poster that you liked what they had to contribute.

So, hopefully, that will explain a bit about what is behind the up and down buttons.

By the way, a single down vote does nothing to a post. I don't know the precise number, but I sense that it takes about ten or so down votes before a post will be obscured from easy view. So, while there is that immediate moment of panic when you have clicked with your scrolling hand thumb on the down vote, no need to worry about it. And, while I haven't confirmed this with Bax, I do believe that a click on the up button will counteract the down vote.

They are your primary tool for you, the community to show that you think a post is great. Or not.

A single downvote does nothing, so don’t worry about strays. They’ll have no effect.

In fact, you’ll notice that in many respects there is no downvote. No post goes below 0 no matter how many times you hit that button. But it is registered as one vote of “not so sure about this”. But again a single vote does nothing.

Strummerson, I’d be happy to discuss your collapsed posts with you off the site. I will say tone is a factor, but I’m happy to have that conversation with you. Off the site. Not here.

Anyone else have any questions, just ask.

They are your primary tool for you, the community to show that you think a post is great. Or not.

A single downvote does nothing, so don’t worry about strays. They’ll have no effect.

In fact, you’ll notice that in many respects there is no downvote. No post goes below 0 no matter how many times you hit that button. But it is registered as one vote of “not so sure about this”. But again a single vote does nothing.

Strummerson, I’d be happy to discuss your collapsed posts with you off the site. I will say tone is a factor, but I’m happy to have that conversation with you. Off the site. Not here.

Anyone else have any questions, just ask.

Anyone else have any questions, just ask. -- Baxter

Bax, do we get to vote down your second post for reasons of redundancy?

Wow! I've never even noticed that before. Now that I see it, I still don't get what it is? Is it a "like" type of thing like on the face book? ....Dang, I think I hate it.

My posts are generally not collapsed. Just voted down. And there is no "tone" issue with the vast majority of the comments, certainly not the ones involving sharing pics of my kids.

I am not interested in discussing this with you. I tried years ago. And I found you unsympathetic and radically uneven with regard to whose 'tone' you tolerate and allow and whose you don't. I raised issues of personal abuse that was clear and documentable. I didn't find you receptive or particularly sympathetic. Your prerogative. So, I dropped it and I don't see any reason to pursue it further. But where germane, I point it out to the community. That is as far as I am happy to take it, either here or off-site.

Wow! I've never even noticed that before. Now that I see it, I still don't get what it is? Is it a "like" type of thing like on the face book? ....Dang, I think I hate it.

– hilosean

No, definitely not like that at all. Read my post #11 above for how it is used.

On FB, people click on "Like" almost as if to say, "Yeah, I read it." Here, the up button is used only to tell the poster that you particularly appreciate their contribution to the discussion. Or that you found their post to be of particular humor, or wisdom, etc.

But, it is the down button that is really helpful to Baxter because it is the community anonymously sending a message to the poster about their conduct to let them know that they are coloring outside the lines, so to speak.

My posts are generally not collapsed. Just voted down. And there is no "tone" issue with the vast majority of the comments, certainly not the ones involving sharing pics of my kids.

I am not interested in discussing this with you. I tried years ago. And I found you unsympathetic and radically uneven with regard to whose 'tone' you tolerate and allow and whose you don't. I raised issues of personal abuse that was clear and documentable. I didn't find you receptive or particularly sympathetic. Your prerogative. So, I dropped it and I don't see any reason to pursue it further. But where germane, I point it out to the community. That is as far as I am happy to take it, either here or off-site.

– Strummerson

A whole new meaning to "off the site".

LMAO

A whole new meaning to "off the site".

LMAO

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Not at all. Declined the option. I guess that eluded you.

You never miss an opportunity to be a jerk, do you... Just stick your nose in and entertain yourself to anyone else's detriment. You are a prime reason I don't have any faith in the moderation of this community or in this community's will to moderate itself so that we treat one another decently and with basic respect. Prove my point over and over and over again.

"happy to have that conversation with you. Off the site. Not here."

Nothing eluded me, you just didn't want to listen to the man behind the GDP curtain.

Your choice, your attitude.

So the down button is like a tattletale?

Do people really hit it thinking “lm gonna tell Baxter about this?”

That seems pretty petty!

Again I have hit this button many, many times and each one of them was by accident.

I think it’s time to ban the button...

So the down button is like a tattletale?

Do people really hit it thinking “lm gonna tell Baxter about this?”

That seems pretty petty!

Again I have hit this button many, many times and each one of them was by accident.

I think it’s time to ban the button...

– Hipbone

Greg, no it is not a message to Bax. It is a message from the community, if enough people agree that the post has no merit and is detrimental to the community that we have here, to the poster that they are not offering anything of value and are violating some of the norms of the site, whether those be Baxter's written rules or just the sense that each of us has about the GDP community and the spirit that we strive for here.

There is a reason why many people say that the GDP is the only guitar forum that they will post on. It is because it is moderated with a loose grip, yet the community also generally serves to keep it in check.

So, no, it is not a tattletale button, unless you feel that telling the poster that they are out of bounds with their remarks is somehow inappropriate.

Eventually, if enough people join in that sense, then the thread is marked toxic. A practical effect of that function, although not its primary purpose, is that Baxter sees when a problem is brewing on the site. But, that is only after things have gotten out of hand.

If you had a post where you saw that it had been closed down because enough people voted it down, wouldn't that make you think twice about the direction you were headed in? That is the button's purpose.

"happy to have that conversation with you. Off the site. Not here."

Nothing eluded me, you just didn't want to listen to the man behind the GDP curtain.

Your choice, your attitude.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I did listen. I differed and answered him directly and explained why I was declining his offer. Then you stuck your nose in to score points because you are a jerk and enjoy attention. Your choice. Your attitude. And you just keep going. For whatever reason. IGATEYIN.

The fact is that the down button is abused. And the bad will comments directed at me only suggest there may be something to my suspicions of who precisely is one of its main abusers.

Learn something every day. I had no idea what the box with the up and down arrows was all about but then, I never have felt compelled to vote a post, or poster, up or down.

Register Sign in to join the conversation