Miscellaneous Rumbles

Here’s the fight (link included so you can watch it)—lost this one…

Here's the fight... link below...

Unfortunately, I lost. I had him going in the first round, but we got our feet tripped up--I think he stepped on my foot and I kind of fell forward on a hook and took a very, very hard shot to the back of the head. After that it was like swimming through soup. At the end of the first round I could tell my balance was way off. Then in the second he tapped me and I just kind of sat down--had no balance at all. He hardly hit me, but there you go.

After that it was survival mode for the second and I lost a lot of points. Not sure how they scored it, but it should have been 9-8 me in the first 10-8 him in the second. IN the third I started waking up and although he hit me with some pitty pat stuff, I hit him hard a few times and then caught him with a straight right hand that actually even hurt my arm. I thought it was going to drop him and did the stupid thing and watched and he jumped back on me.

Anyway, (I think, but boxer's are always subjective) that round could have been a tie or I could have won it, but the judges unanimously gave the fight to him, so they must have scored it for him 10-9, which is a bit odd considering what I put on him, but okay. If you have a second round like I did, you are not going to win a three-round fight. Irritated by the rabbit punch though. I'll put the link below.

Not sure if you can see it, but up until the rabbit punch I was moving around, scoring a lot, and I planned to turn it on in the second. After the rabbit punch I was really moving slow. Plodding like Rocky and no longer thinking and he was able to hit me from long range again and again. (He's taller, has longer arms, is 23 years younger and outweighs me by about seven pounds).

And he's pretty quick. We raised some real money for the foundation though.

https://www.facebook.com/13...

Just glad you're here to tell the story.

Me too!

But quite a headache from that damn punch to the back of the head. Oh well. Shouldn't have tried to wing him so early.

K

My hats off to you Konrad, that was a great bout. I boxed as a youngster, and know all about swimming through thick soup! Well done sir!

Wade H,

Thanks!

I have to say that I'm really disappointed that it went the way it did. In the first round I was feeling sharp, slipping almost everything and connecting on him pretty much at will. Then I got hit in the back of the head and the light switched off. Walking back to the corner after the first round I could feel the ring moving around under me.

I'm not even sure I got hit on the "knockdown." I remember maybe a brush but really suddenly I didn't have any balance had to sit down. Like being a little old man. And I did hardly anything of consequence after that until the third round, which was more reactive than anything else. The prob is that it was in front of the biz community here, and it would have helped to put on a show. I got lots of congrats from people (mostly for boxing at the age of 52), but oh well.

I got a freaking bad headache in the back of the head and behind the eyes from that shot too.

Oh well. It's boxing. Things like this happen. I broke my own strategy of not trying to go for a big punch in the first round, so there you go. If you aren't thinking during a match, you are not going to win.

Tough kid too. I really nailed him in the third round, not just with that one punch. My wrist is unusable today. I'm surprised he took those punches and have to give credit to him where it is due.

And he was pretty quick.

K

You’ve got some heart, but the boxing skills are not quite there... You tend to turn your back to your opponent when you get hit, and you lead with your chin. With almost every shot you threw you left yourself wide open. Watching the video a couple times, you were the one that stepped on his foot as you lunged forward off balance.

Time to hone those basic skills.

Hipbone,

I agree that I'm rusty, but he stepped on my foot. My foot jerks out from under his and I kind stepped back on his too, but my big toe just about came out of it's socket when it happened.

I'm not sure why I turned so much to the right in that fight, but I was not real cognizant of much after the punch to the back of the head. It not something I do in sparring. Toward the end of the third my head started clearing a bit, but every time I leaned it felt like I was going to pitch forward and I still have a thudding headache in my right eye. Maybe I was trying to protect it, but I was not aware of it then. Oh well. Stuff like this happens in boxing, and coming back to it after 30 years is hard. You also watch shots come in in slow mo and do nothing, which is kind of bizarre,

K

I spent some time sparring/ training in Muay Thai 30 years ago, don’t think I would jump back in the ring at 54 years old. I take my hat off to you.

Ha--well, it probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done.

I wanted to do it as it's for a local charity run by a really sweet woman that needed some momentum. But also, as soon as I hit the heavy bag again, I realized how much I missed it. It was a huge part of my life when I was a kid...

But here is what I learned:

1) At my age, you have to train extremely hard to get in decent enough shape to fight, much less go against guys in their 20s even if they have limited experience. Then the tendinitis and age issues come up, and you find that you can't do jump rope or running, which you need to do to be competitive so it's a vicious circle. 2) There is more pressure on the fighters at exec fight nights. Many have never fought before and are afraid they will do not do well so they get crazy even in sparring. Then on fight night they come flying at you (although this was not really an issue with my opponent as he is more experienced than the others even though he is young). 3) I wound up sparring a lot of guys who were much, much bigger than I was. This did not help at all and I only wound up roughed up during workouts. In a typical amateur program, things will be more controlled. 4) At 52 you still have hand speed, but you have no wheels (I especially did not with my achilles issues) and even though you tell yourself to do things, you don't. Your brain doesn't communicate with your body like it used to. This affects everything from reaction time to even keeping your hands up. You also watch punches come in and hit you with complete detachment. It is really hard to explain. In short, your brain is trying to kill you. 5) Come fight night, I had no nerves at all. No adrenaline, as I had been there before when I was younger. This is bad. Maybe that is age too--but your opponent will be much more jacked up so you need to be ready. 6) Due to work, I did not have time to work with a coach and revert to form with pads. Group workouts took time out of my schedule that I could have used with a buddy or a coach. The younger guys (the ones with no kids) have much, much more free time. They also improved by leaps and bounds over two months. Me not so much. 7) I still had a good time--not sure I will do it again though as apart from my headache, my hands, wrists, elbow and shoulder are all in bad shape, and my achilles is an issue. Time remains undefeated. 8) These young guys can really take a punch. You can't see it that well on this tape--there is another version from a different corner--but I nailed this kid a few times and once with two straight rights that actually hurt my arm and it didn't do much to him. If anything. I guess when I was younger I hit a lot harder (well, I was a zillion times faster, so I'm sure I did), but he had a chin on him no matter how I look at it.

K

Konrad, I must commend you. Even in a loss you show yourself to be a man of dignity, honesty and integrity, a true gentleman who makes no excuses. Regardless you have proven yourself to be a true competitor with grit and drive.

That being said, the stepping on the foot and the rabbit punch definitely had an effect on the outcome. And that's no excuse, just a statement of visible fact. Both could have been unintentional, heat of the moment, and probably were. Though both were technically fouls, even in a pro bout the first occurrence only draws a warning from the ref. All in all you displayed real heart and I salute you for it.

And at 65, I'm darn sure not getting in the ring! Hope you heal quickly and the charity did well.

Yeah--no excuses. The kid is a clean fighter, really a good guy, and nothing was intentional. I'm only disappointed as I was completely out of it after the rabbit punch (and I'm still dealing with it now). I'm not planning on doing this any time in the near future, so I'm down that a fluke altered my side of the fight. I'm kind of surprised how I fought after it happened though, as I don't even remember talking to my cornermen until I was back in the locker room. I do remember hitting the kid at the end of the third--actually I think I caught a few times at the end, but I only know some of that from the vid. Basically, I remember walking to the corner dizzy at the end of the first with the back of my head and my eyeballs pounding and then losing my balance and going sideways into the corner after the round started. Then I kind of sat down even though I'm not sure he hit me. It's like I had zero balance. I got up and told the ref I was fine (I thought I was standing still), but the rest was a lurch and a blur. I do remember kind of a hook that shocked my arm--and my arm is still killing me so he must have felt that, but my memory from the punch that knocked his head back is from the film, which may be why I just stood there like a dummy and failed to press him.

At the end (in the film anyway) I smiled and talked to the camera girl and remember none of that and I don't remember the decision or getting back to the locker room.

And I sure don't remember any defense on my part either--because there was none!

At least I didn't stay down. And there is vid.

K

Just don’t pull a Mickey Rourke!

I thought I just did!

K

keep your head up Konrad!

just saw it one time.....but i will watch again and try to give you some helpful hints.

First of all: Congrats! Three rounds and you weren't easy game!

What i saw so far is....... his lead was poor......next time go counter-clockwise (unless you fight a southpaw)! Stand a bit more frontal.... standing sideways eliminates all quick action of your right hand and you can hardly move side-to-side (in relation to your opponent). When under pressure bring your hands up - not your head down......

Don't feel criticized but inspired by my words. It's hard to look at ones own mistakes - especially when the decision was such a close call.

But with a bit of preparation you are still capable to win a fight - not so old man

Well done. You did a hell of a lot better than I would have. Congrats

JM,

Not offended at all--you are right on all counts. But just to defend myself--look at me prior to the rabbit punch and after. Prior to the punch I was not exactly prime Camacho, but hey I'm 52! After it I was completely out of it. I've never had a punch hurt like that--it was like a nail to the back of the head. While before the punch I was not getting hit (well, not after the first right) and scoring pretty much at will, afterward I was drunk Rocky, and I was really out of it going into the second round. Actually, the worrying part is that I was pretty much out of it for the next two rounds, and the back of my head is still sore a week later and I've had some concussion-like side effects. I'm kind of proud of myself that I still fought it out, but I was not aware of much and I remember most of the rest of the fight from watching the vid.

Anyway, you can see me moving and slipping (although I don't know where this turning to the side stuff came from--that is something recent) prior to the punch. The rest of the fight I pretty much defended myself with my face.

I don't think he's a dirty fighter, btw, but I do think he had time not to throw that punch if you know what i mean.

Now back to you remarks--I totally agree with all of them. One thing I really don't like here (and it seems this is a tendency in boxing today) is the mega side stance. And even though that's not how I fought when I was a kid, it rubs off on you and you start doing the same thing. Really. He stands sideways, so you start standing sideways. I hate it, as you can't throw combos that way, and I grew up throwing combos. Instead it's like you are sword fighting and you start just throwing 1-2s. It's had to understand, but you really do start shifting your stance--or maybe it was just me, or maybe I did that as everyone was taller and had longer reach over the eight weeks that we all trained together.

Depressing though.

One other thing --when I was younger I fought out of a (yes, sometimes too loose) Philly-Shell stance, with my right hand always up by my ear. Since all of the competitors were taller than me, I kind of dropped this to fight more standard-style, as a couple of guys started firing over the top anyway. But what happened is that I pretty much screwed up everything I knew how to do and even things I don't know how to do in that I stopped holding my hands up at all, started kind of ducking to the side (which is kind of normal in a Philly shell, but awful if you are fighting standard), and in the end I can only say I certainly made a mess of myself style-wise. I think I was too old to change and reverted into no style or simply bad style over the course of the past two months.

Big mistake, whatever I did.

It's also true that when I was younger I could rely on quickness (30 years ago), and maybe there is a little bit of that in me prior to the back-of-the-head punch in the first round, as he literally hit me only with his first punch to four or five for me, but I'm also sober enough to know from watching that the bad habits have gotten atrocious and run deep--and I wasn't going to move like that for the next two rounds anyway, as I'd probably wind up gassed.

Funny is that I recognized the problem well before the fight and tried for the past few weeks to even work the bags with a sock between my right and and cheek, but once I got in there (especially after I was rabbit punched), it did not help at all, as my hands were pretty much around my waist and I kept turning away (usually to the right while making the left side of my head a target), which was never how I fought before. I even watched some sparring rounds on my buddy's phone from earlier in the month (against this guy and some bigger guys) and I was not doing (or not to such an extent). Before I tried to change styles it was much, much better.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that my conditioning improved dramatically, but I managed to forget everything I knew and replace this with awful habits.

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed in myself. This was a one-off--I'm not trying to get back into the ring on a regular basis, if at all, but that is one reason why I'm a bit down. I didn't want to look like that or fight like that, especially when that was not how I used to fight--and especially at an executive fight night for the business community to see. Sure, I'm getting pats on the back for fighting it out at my age, but that's it. Oh well.

There is also the factor I really don't want to admit--that time remains undefeated no matter how hard you fight. You try to duck under a punch and your knees don't drop. You drill to get you hands up and they just are not there and you literally watch punches come in and bang you--punches you see a mile off. I guess that's just age--at 52 I'm not what I was at 25, and since this guy is only like 25 (and taller and heavier), I also guess I did not do that badly.

On this note, a friend that boxed with me when I was a kid put it this way: he reminded me that when I was 25 I actually could just barely dunk a basketball. Now, admittedly, I can just barely touch the net. The drop off in boxing is the same. You think you are doing it, but you really are not (or not like you once did--that is quite clear).

Anyway, I'm a bit down and also on a concussion watch--taking it easy for at least another week, and the doc said it's best to forget sparring for a few months (or altogether). On the other hand, this did make me realize how much I miss boxing. I loved it and lived it from the age of 13 to about 25, and up until last weekend, I was really high on it. I may take the next few months just to do drills, get my skills back to somewhat respectable form, etc. As for sparring--I don't know. Maybe a bit of it now and then, but not for quite a while, as this week has not been pleasant (light sensitivity, getting tired and my balance has been off).

I can say that I did get back in shape. Apart from tendinitis issues, it felt great and over three months I actually lost 10 kilos, which is more than 20 lbs.

But damn that rabbit punch hurt. I've never had any punch hurt like that before. Really, it was like a screwdriver in the back of the brain and my eyeballs popping out at the same time. Kind of freaked me out, actually.

K

Actually, curious what you guys think...

Maybe I should go to a complete earmuffs/peekaboo high guard a la Winky Wright for about three months. Just drill it until it sticks. Or I can go back to what I used to do a la a semi Philly but drill the right hand with a sock to stick to my cheek.

I know this all sounds a bit crazy, but it is driving me crazy--not the fact that I can't move like a 25-year-old anymore, but that so many fundamentals just went out the window (albeit over a huge break in time).

K

Actually, curious what you guys think...

Maybe I should go to a complete earmuffs/peekaboo high guard a la Winky Wright for about three months. Just drill it until it sticks. Or I can go back to what I used to do a la a semi Philly but drill the right hand with a sock to stick to my cheek.

I know this all sounds a bit crazy, but it is driving me crazy--not the fact that I can't move like a 25-year-old anymore, but that so many fundamentals just went out the window (albeit over a huge break in time).

K

– Konrad

what about a regular modern boxer stance? Hips and shoulders only slightly angled (right foot almost pointing to your opponent), both shoulders low, (lead) left hand in front of your nose ( elbow as far insisde as possible), rear (right) hand tuck on the chin at 45degree angle, elbow leaning on your ribcage. In case you get in trouble you just take double cover.

Why? Let's talk the same opponent: Do you really want to hide in a philly shell???? Do you really want to take numerous shots to your shoulders, trying to catch 1-2s with your rear hand???? ......for the benefit of landing a sneaky lead? I don't know what you get paid for this.......but it better be some good damages for pain and suffering

Peekaboo? Are you aware, that boxing in peakaboo-Style can be very exhausting? Plus - it's a style.....not just the way you hold your hands. Some experienced boxers never really mastered this style.....

I guess i would find it most effective to work on BASIC amateur boxing stuff! Such as....:

Moving counterclockwise (this really MUST become part of your instincts), push backwards FROM your left foot (don't pull it back first - step with your right foot first), when your opponent moves clockwise punish him with straight right punch, apply the basic counters....

if time left or you feel not challenged enough, work on head movement (weaving, diving, slipping) and footwork

Another thing to mention: You really should advice your corner to throw a towel in case your staggered!!!!! You are not a pro! It's really not worth ending up disabled - do not underestimate the risk of boxing!!!! One of my younger associates hit his staggered opponent with only 2 quick shots to the head. The guy would pass out and fell into a coma. that was 2016 i think and today the man is disabled in a high degree! He will never recover. Though he was a pro (defending his german championship(BDBB/GBA/GBU) in that paticular fight) someone in his corner underestimated something! My associate never defended his title, turned his back on boxing and is a fitness-coach now. Still blaming himself in a way......

We as older men should really take care of ourselves........!

Good points-- I only meant drilling in peekaboo to get me out of the habit of dropping my hands.

Re philly--good point. It was what I was comfy with, and all you might have a hard time believing it I was slipping most everything in sparring UNTIL these taller guys started really punching down at me and over my guard. Most guys in the exec fight group were much taller than me and heavier then me, but obv when I went to change it I morphed into disaster

Re a standard stance, yes, you are right--but stateside you haven't noticed everyone getting more sideways? I'm telling you that it rubs off even when it shouldn't--maybe because boxers have a tendency to mirror each other.

Re my corner--he mentioned after the fight that I was hardly talking, not really responding. I agree he should have tried to get a response, but oh well. It was a one off. If I fight again, he won't be my corner. I'll take it more seriously--but I am probably not going to fight again. I just want to get some fundamentals back, maybe in a few months get back to light sparring.

K

Register Sign in to join the conversation