Miscellaneous Rumbles

He Invented It, or Did He? I Say, “Yes.”

He was at least one of the founding fathers. A lot of his stage moves, like the duck walk, go back to old travelling medicine shows. He helped carry older music forward to a new generation. The new is built on the past. We all owe much to him.

I think every guitarist who plays a double stop owes it to Chuck.

Bye Bye Johnny! RIP

Or T-Bone Walker.

Not to take anything away from T-Bone but it doesn't matter who did it first. It never has been. It's ALWAYS the one who, for whatever reason, inspires countless others to carry something forward to the next generation and forever be connected to it. That was Chuck.

I remember being in the theatre for the first run of "Back to the Future". When Mark Campbell (sitting in as the Marty McFly character) opened up the licks for Johnny B Goode, the place simply erupted, and stayed that way until long after the song dissipated into the comedy routine it set up.

"Hey Chuck! This your cousin, Marvin!!...."

I think HE brought it to fruition. I listen to a lot of old music through apps and many of the old songs that pass as rock had simple country beats as they had not really gotten the groove down just yet at that time. Seems Chuck found the formula and as importantly, so did his drummer.

He didn't invent it but he turbocharged it, brought the guitar up front and center and brought it to another level.

Elvis Presley recorded and released That's All Right Mama a year before Maybelline came out.

I think Louis Jordan may have inadvertently invented it.

Louis Jordan was a big influence on Chuck, especially his guitar player Carl Hogan. His lick on "Ain't That Just Like A Woman" (1946) is the blue print for Chuck's signature lick. Aside from T-Bone Walker, Amos Milburn was also an influence.

Chuck Berry was also a big country fan. He was probably influenced as much by Hank Williams as he was by Louis Jordan.

Yep, what Buddy says above. Rock and Roll is yet another form of American music where typical "black and white stylings meet" to put it bluntly, and Chuck Berry was one of the first ones in an R&B context to incorporate Country style elements into his music. I don't think anybody "invented it" or was the first to play rock and roll, I think Rock and Roll was a lot of synchronicity going on. It had to happen.

Register Sign in to join the conversation