Miscellaneous Rumbles

Have You Driven Your Car For 53 Years?

She gives the Little Old Lady From Pasadena a run for her money.

Try to do this -

That's my type of lady. Buys a '57 Chevy new, takes care of it, and still is driving it.

That's a car gal.

That's my type of lady. Buys a '57 Chevy new, takes care of it, and still is driving it.

That's a car gal.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

In Pasadena (CA) about 10 years ago I saw in the Burger King parking lot the infamous very elusive but very real Little Old Lady from Pasadena driving a blue 1965 Mustang. She was about 80 years of age. She probably bought it new some 43 years earlier new. It was in very good condition. Funny thing is Jan and Dean came out with that song around that time and that woman was about 37 and had no idea she would be that Little Old Lady From Pasadena some 40 years later. So even tho the song is about a fictitious lady there are plenty of those old ladies in Pasadena and the Lady in the song if 80 in the early 60s when the song came out would be about 120 plus in 2008.

I've been driving for longer than that.

I wish I still had my first car, tho.

Here in the Phoenix area of Arizona, we often see very well kept, or restored classic automobiles. We see everything from model T's to Packard's, and the occasional 57 Chevy. The dry climate prevents rust, and we still have a lot of very old vehicles running around. I always get a kick out of seeing a silver fox, driving a classy classic!

She's cool! Love how she has a gas can and extra anti-freeze in the trunk.

In the late 70's I saw a ragged looking Model A parked at a flea market. The owner came over and told me he had bought it used in the early thirties and he just kept driving it. All original, he said, except the radio was from a "newer" Model A.

53 years non-stop?

Wow, 4dr Sport Sedan, just like mine - the rarest of all the full-size '57 Chevys. And mine was black too, until someone decided to spray it blue, but that's another story.

Very cool, thanks for posting.

Sweet lady,beautiful aul car!

I've been driving for longer than that.

I wish I still had my first car, tho.

– wabash slim

she's been driving that car longer than I have been alive therefore my friend you have been driving more than I have been alive of course!!!

Do tell please, what car is that?

My Pickup is 53 years old, but I've only been driving it for 29 years. 24 more years to go.

Lovely story.

Ah, '57 Chevies. I love that it's a 4-door hardtop rather than the usual 2-door coupe. A bit more down-market, still very stylish. (Also very flexy on the frame and given to creaks and moans, but we don't talk about that.)

The first new car Dad ever bought was a '55 210 wagon (the 4-door utilitarian version of the more famous - and less practical - Nomad). Mom wrecked it in 1963. So it goes. After that, we had a pair of '58s: an Impala in Anniversary Gold and a Belair in famous 50s turquoise surf aqua whatever. I loved that Impala, and hoped it would one day be mine. I drove it for two years after getting my license in 1970 - then went off to college and Dad traded it (AND the Belair) on a Vega.

I don't know.

If I'd ended up owning the Impala, I do believe I'd still have it.

Of the "Tri-5" Chevies which dominate car shows, I rather like the design of the '55, have no use at all for the '56, and appreciate the '57 as one of the more successful facelifts ever on what was a very pure design to begin with (the '55). I get that the '57 is iconic, for all sorts of reasons, and has different meaning for others than for me. Of that three-year run, I still prefer the '55.

But I like the '58 better. (Though please, no continental kit yuck.)

Anyway, nice story.

I can't compete with 53 years, but I've had my '56 Buick for 26 years, and the '55 Caddy and '66 Toro for over 20. And geez...I've had the '95 MkVIII for 18 years.

I tend to hold onto stuff I like.

she's been driving that car longer than I have been alive therefore my friend you have been driving more than I have been alive of course!!!

Do tell please, what car is that?

– ThePolecats

'59 Studebaker Lark Wagon. It was an ex county sheriff K-9 car---a true Bluesmobile. The one after that was a '64 Stude Grant Turismo Hawk. I learned to drive in a '54 Buick Century hardtop.

wabash you have had some nice cars.

Here is a Packard at my mechanic’s shop up for sale. Needs a lot of work for restoration.

I'm a Newbie...only 16 1/2 years with my E320 4Matic...but, I'm only 59yo.

wabash you have had some nice cars.

Here is a Packard at my mechanic’s shop up for sale. Needs a lot of work for restoration.

– ThePolecats

I've also had some junkers, too. $100 70 Valiant slant 6, and a $30 Rambler 330 POS Rustorocket--tho it lasted 9 months doing delivery work daily.
I wouldn't mind having my 75 Rabbit back. Early one, with a carb instead of injectors. Amazingly good in the Lake Effect snow. Best snow vehicle I've owned was a '78 IH Scout Diesel.

What year's the Packard? Studebaker built them in '56-58.

But parked in her rickety old garage is a brand new, shiny red, super stock Dodge

Katherine Minner, inspiration for the song, star of Dodge commercials with her tag line, “Put a Dodge in your garage, Honey!”

Only 46 years on this one

wabash, here is the for sale sign. You may not be able to see it but says 1955 Packard Clipper. $6500.

wabash, here is the for sale sign. You may not be able to see it but says 1955 Packard Clipper. $6500.

– ThePolecats

Not bad for a 60+ year old car. That's a fair enough price. Packard was a top quality luxury car. That one was built in Detroit prior to the Studebaker/Packard merger. Most of the smaller manufacturers were forced out of the market by the Big 3.

Not bad for a 60+ year old car. That's a fair enough price. Packard was a top quality luxury car. That one was built in Detroit prior to the Studebaker/Packard merger. Most of the smaller manufacturers were forced out of the market by the Big 3.

– wabash slim

Hudson,Packard,Kaiser/Willys.The Nash name was gone by '58 but AMC's were much more Nash than Hudson.The '57-58 Packards weren't much more than rebadged Studebakers.Kaiser moved production to Argentina and continued there for a few more years. Here's an Argentine Kaiser Carabela funeral coach from the early '60s

When I was growing up, our little community near Victoria had "Mrs Lewis". Mrs Lewis was a older woman and a war widow who never remarried, if I recall the story correctly. She lived in a beachfront, 1 bedroom cottage near the local general store and in her garage was a beautiful, black 36 Ford coupe that she and her late husband had bought new. I first became aware of Mrs Lewis about 1962 or 63, when I was eight years old. (thie picture is not her car, but one as similar as I can find quickly)

She drove that car daily. To the store, to the doctor to town. She ferried other older ladies around Cordova Bay in that big black coupe, peering over the enormous steering wheel from her perch on a large cushion. Maintenance was handled by the owner of the local garage, same as just about everyone else who resided in the village. My memory of it is that it was always shiny, always had just a whisp of blue smoke from the tailpipe, and it never seemed to break down.

When she passed away in the early 1970's the car and the cottage languished empty and untended while her only relatives fought over her estate. By that time, beachfront property in Cordova Bay was very desirable and as often happen when serious money is involved, the fights break out.

Sadly, I don't know what happened to the car. I left home before everything was worked out and the last time I saw the car, covered in dust, not even a tarp over it, it was sitting on four flat tires in the unlocked garage, guarded by a large "No trespassing" sign. For all I know, it may have been hauled away as junk. Hope not.

Ultimately, the house was sold, the property was re-developed and gentrified. Probably worth nearly 2million by now.

But I'll always have the memory of Mrs Lewis, careening around our little beachside community at what seemed like breakneck speed, going somewhere or coming home from who knew what.

Things were different then, for sure.

Maybe not for 53 years, but I've driven my 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk (legally) since 1972. So that's 46 years.

My father bought this car in 1966 and was his daily driver until 1972 when he bought our Javelin/ AMX, and gave the Hawk to my brother and me. I would drive this car around the neighborhood and even on the PA Turnpike when I was thirteen years old. My father would pull over and let me behind the wheel on drives between the Philly and Scranton areas, keeping an eye out for Troopers while I was motoring along the highway.

It was my daily driver for high school, college and was even our wedding car. It's gone through a couple different manifestations, including having a 327 Chevy 'fuelie' head motor and Muncie 4 speed at one point, but has since gone back to an original Stude 289 with 4 Barrel AFB and a B/W T-10 4 speed.

It hasn't been a daily driver for a long time, but will be staying in the family for some time.

Register Sign in to join the conversation