Miscellaneous Rumbles

Hats for people. No guitar content

Mary's mom looms about two hundred hats a year. Her friends also do. She taught me how to make them today and I made this one. They make baby size for newborns, and also kids sizes and adults. They are given free to shelters and even placed in bags hanging from trees in town for free. Good to be needed and helpful to those in need.

Maybe you can try making one of these:

My wife got me this hat a couple years ago.... love it!

That’s a great project, Mary’s mom! And nicely loomed.

Reminds me of another Gretsch player!

My Dad and I play music/shows at senior home and rehab centers. It's rewarding.

Your mom making and giving hats is great! She's a gem...

...very nice!

I made another last night. No errors, yay! I love that these upstate pa towns are hanging blankets and hats and gloves in town free to anyone who wants them. Wnep has done storys about it if your interested. Their web site has vids.

My wife got me this hat a couple years ago.... love it!

– Hipbone

Killer! Not everybody could pull that off... But you own it!

Remember, boys and girls, it can be a fine line between an outfit and a costume ;)

Funny how the English language hardly distinguishes between hats and hats. In Dutch a hat would be like a cowboy hat or a top hat. A fedora is a hat too, although we say fedora these days. But knitted caps would not be considered a hat.

We got these words:

Hat = hoed (hoot)

Knitted cap = muts (muts)

Baseball cap and officers hat = pet (pet)

Yeah, those sock hats, like Mun has in the first pic are referred to as beanies sometimes here in the states but we do classify most headwear as hats be it fedora or trilby or baseball cap.

If I lose much more hair, I'll be wearing one on a regular basis.

Funny how the English language hardly distinguishes between hats and hats. In Dutch a hat would be like a cowboy hat or a top hat. A fedora is a hat too, although we say fedora these days. But knitted caps would not be considered a hat.

We got these words:

Hat = hoed (hoot)

Knitted cap = muts (muts)

Baseball cap and officers hat = pet (pet)

– Geoff_Vane

So in Dutch, there is no overall word for headwear, top knot, lid, headpiece, headgear, headdress, chapeau (all of witch means hat)?

Killer! Not everybody could pull that off... But you own it!

– charlie chitlins

Can I pull it off? (“No” is an acceptable answer).

It looks kind of Petty on you.

pun intended.

It looks kind of Petty on you.

pun intended.

– Suprdave

Thanks. That was what I was going for. Halloween costume, you know.

That kind of confirms what Charlie Chitlins said above.

I've heard many names for these knit caps. I had a couple of uncles in the Navy, so they're properly called watch caps. Beanies, they're not---those usually are multicolored and have a propeller on top. Toques are longer, and come to a point.

There's also a difference between baseball caps (wool) and trucker caps (adjustable sizes, mesh backs at times) as well. Imported golf caps have a string where the bill joins the top. Add in flat hats (aka snap brims, paddy hats) and Kangols. Trilbys are not fedoras.

Kudos to you Munman for helping out folks that need it. We donate clothes to the homeless shelter thru church. They often need socks and toiletries more than hats.

I used to think beanies were those propeller caps too but lately, selling accessories for cars, all of my catalogues call the knit hats beanies weird, eh?

I've heard many names for these knit caps. I had a couple of uncles in the Navy, so they're properly called watch caps. Beanies, they're not---those usually are multicolored and have a propeller on top. Toques are longer, and come to a point.

There's also a difference between baseball caps (wool) and trucker caps (adjustable sizes, mesh backs at times) as well. Imported golf caps have a string where the bill joins the top. Add in flat hats (aka snap brims, paddy hats) and Kangols. Trilbys are not fedoras.

Kudos to you Munman for helping out folks that need it. We donate clothes to the homeless shelter thru church. They often need socks and toiletries more than hats.

– wabash slim

A bit precriptivist, no? Words take on different meanings in different times and places.

My mother always called them "stocking caps", most folks my age would use "beanie" (my southern friends even call them "toboggans" ¯\(ツ)/¯), and "toque" seems distinctly Canadian.

A little prescriptivism of my own: nobody should wear a fedora unless they're dressed like Don Draper (or Sam Spade if you prefer).

Melita bridge...Yes. Melita hat...No.

A bit precriptivist, no? Words take on different meanings in different times and places.

My mother always called them "stocking caps", most folks my age would use "beanie" (my southern friends even call them "toboggans" ¯\(ツ)/¯), and "toque" seems distinctly Canadian.

A little prescriptivism of my own: nobody should wear a fedora unless they're dressed like Don Draper (or Sam Spade if you prefer).

– Otter

Some words that get misused can drive me nuts. A lectern is not a podium; all tissues are not Kleenex; all copiers aren't Xeroxes; engines and motors aren't the same thing, either.

I can deal with calling them stocking caps and even toboggan caps. I just don't understand why hipsters wear them year round, tho. You can wear a fedora with a leather bomber jacket, a la Indiana Jones. That look lasted for decades.

So in Dutch, there is no overall word for headwear, top knot, lid, headpiece, headgear, headdress, chapeau (all of witch means hat)?

– Bob Howard

German to the rescue: ‘Kopfbedeckung’, ‘head covering’.

I'll agree with lectern, but the brand-name-substitutiom doesn't bother me much, as it doesn't interfere with clarity.

When you look like Harrison Ford did 30 years ago, you can get away with pretty much anything. The suit/overcoat/fedora look is a bit more forgiving, but hardly ever appropriate in the 21st Century.

about 7 years ago.....

Register Sign in to join the conversation