Miscellaneous Rumbles

Harvested Pineapple Today

I harvested a pineapple today. Normally I don’t pay notice to my pineapple crop but a month ago I noticed I had a pineapple that was full sized but green so I knew I’d have to wait a month or more for it to ripen. Well today it was fully ripened so I harvested it and cut it. Ate it. Was and is so sweet. Way better than that found in the grocery stores but not to knock grocery store pineapple but just saying. It was so ripe it had sugary pineapple juice oozing from the skin. Smelled very sweet too.

My mouth watered as soon as I saw that pic of that perfect pineapple. My favorites......pineapple, mango, kiwi and in no order but the best is ice cold pineapple juice. I can just imagine how perfect it was vs. the even the best we can find at the supermarket.

Thanks for sharing that and glad you got to enjoy it!

That's great! None of mine have ever lasted long enough to sprout fruit. One of these days....

I can grow pine cones. Does that count?

Very cool. We cooked some salmon on the SRG last week and sandwiched the salmon steaks between the skin we cut off the pineapple. Tasted awesome.

That's awesome! How many do you have growing? Wish I lived in an area where I could grow pineapples..

That's awesome ThePolecats! I'm in the Phoenix metro area, and doubt that I could get a pineapple to grow full cycle. I'm glad you got yours to do well in CA. Enjoy a slice of the next one for me!

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Correct NJDevil, this is better than any store bought pineapple. See, pineapple have a short shelf life so usually they are picked green and shipped off to the stores. Most have a long journey from the Philippine Islands or Taiwan to Europe or America. Actually those countries grow pineapples but I think US markets get ours fro Costa Rica. We used to get them from Hawaii. They still grow them there but we only on the mainland get those maybe twice a year. Pineapple industry says ripe pineapple can be golden like what I grew or green. That is their way of making you think they are sweet BUT in reality the only really sweet ones I have had were vine ripened golden ones, green don't taste sweet. Yes I know they don't grow on a vine but I am using that as a figure of speech. Pineapples don't ripen after harvested although some may get sweeter after harvested but it isn't the same. It just has the sugar fermenting after picked and they go bad fast.

Devil's Tool what area do you live in? Curious about your weather.

NJBob, pine cones are a close second!

Deke true pineapple and salmon are great compliments to each other.

Metman I have about 7 pineapple plants now but only that one had a pineapple. Thee others are not fruiting yet but will. Just not time yet. What local do you live in? Maybe there is a way you can grow some.

Wade, maybe there is a way you can. It would be fun.

Once again thank you all for the compliments!

Thanks for additional information Polecats. When/if do you expecting the other plants to produce fruit.....or do they need to mature/grow more first?

I have to say that I did make a good pot of coffee but I came back to the thread and it falls well short of my idea of that pineapple.

Thanks for additional information Polecats. When/if do you expecting the other plants to produce fruit.....or do they need to mature/grow more first?

I have to say that I did make a good pot of coffee but I came back to the thread and it falls well short of my idea of that pineapple.

– NJDevil

NJ I am sure your coffee is up there with the pineapple!

I think next year I will have the other plants fruit. Takes about two years in good climates which in Southern California we have. Some of my plants I started last year that is why it will take another year. I don't recall if all were started last year but I think most. The one that just gave the fruit must have been planted a couple years ago.

For those in not ideal climates try to plant in a decent sized pot and keep by the window in the sun. You may get a pineapple but may take three rather than two years.

Register Sign in to join the conversation