Miscellaneous Rumbles

Harley riders give Harleys a bad name

1

Tonight I decided to take my old '73 Yamaha 650 out for a ride to clear out the cobwebs. Cruising along nicely, the bike's happy to be running after so long. After a few minutes I see a group of three riders coming up behind me, all on Harleys. They pass me slowly-One guy on a dresser, one woman on a Heritage, and another couple on a dresser. Now it's a four lane road and I see a nice clear lane so I change lanes and slowly cruise by them. I get to a red light and here they are behind me again. I hear them muttering...something-Triumph(which is on the back of my leather jacket). I think, sigh ok here we go,. Sure enough the guy blazes past me in my lane when the light changes. I gave him the "lame" gesture and thought to myself oh I'm so impressed. At the next light I tell him "did anyone ever tell you how awesome you are?", he speeds off again. Total a-hole. Next the woman blasts past me and then starts slowing and trying to force me out of my lane. You've got to be kidding right? Really? The third bike hangs back. So I play along and race a little bit, keeping my almost-40 year old bike in mind. She keeps trying to run me out of my lane, not seeing the red light ahead. I close my throttle and slow down to stop. She slams on her brakes at the last minute and skids through the intersection barley missing two cars turning into the road and almost drops the bike. The a hole guy comes up beside me and calls me a wimp or something. I start laughing at him and tell him "and you people are so awesome"! This is all true I'm not making it up. So the light turns, and he speeds off of course and pulls into a parking lot where the moron woman was, probably shaking like a leaf in a puddle of urine from her near miss. I slowly ride by the guy, pointing at him and laughing out loud. At this point I found the whole thing very funny- how pathetic are you people?! "I just got my Harley and I got somethin to prove- hey let's gang up on the lone rider on his vintage Japanese bike and show him what tough bikers we are". News flash for you losers- you aren't bikers- you're middle class posers who tried to buy an "I'm cool, I'm tough" image. Real bikers would kill you. I have several motorcycles and have been riding since I was 6, on the street since 18. And of ALL motorcycle brands, 99% of the times I get messed with in some way by another motorcycle rider, they're ALWAYS on a Harley. These people all seem to have something to prove which I do not understand. We're all riders here, can't you just live and let live? No you have to rev your engine, tear past me, show-off, or worse yet try to force me out of my lane. So I say to 99% of Harley riders out there, get a life. You aren't any better than any other rider on another brand so get over yourselves. In fact, you are the worst type of rider. Sure I've met some nice people on Harleys, but it's the exception not the rule and that's sad. I call them the 1%-ers, the rest I have no use for. So if you ride a Harley and this offends you, look deep within and ask yourself why you want to be associated with this brand and this mentality. Myself, I love motorcycles. I don't care what you ride, but tell me, why a Harley?

2

I used to ride (my BMW) with a S. Jersey Harley club and they were the best bunch of people you could meet. Yeah they dressed up like Halloween, but there was no bravado or anything...and they took riding safely seriously.

BTW, My first street bike was a Yamaha Maxim 700. What a great bike. Now it's a BMW K1200RS that unfortunately doesn't get much riding anymore.

3

I ride an 82 XS650 (with 750 big bore kit)and a '79 XS1100 Special. Most of my problems are with cagers, not Harley riders. My bass player rides a Sportster 1200 and my roadie rides a FXDX. I agree that the folks you had a problem with are total a-holes but you fed into their a-hole-ness.

4

There's always plenty of idiots on any "brand" bike or muscle car. You can't fix stupid, and "buttheads are buttheads".

I run into all types with my Challenger R/T. Last Thursday night some high school kid pulled up next to me in his little 3 series BMW coupe.

He's giving me this "I'm stupid" look, while redlining his Beemer. I don't even waste the gas and rubber on stuff like that. If he's that stupid at a red light, I can only imagine his "driving skills".

Some folks are just jerks, on or off, any number of wheels, and any brand car or bike.

5

I agree I fed into their BS a little, but they didn't give me much choice. These people had something to prove which is pathetic. I don't like when people mess with me especially for no reason, however I won't make it unsafe for myself as a person/rider. My point of the thread is, of all the riders out there combined, Harley people are the worst type. Sure there's exceptions- but most all have some sort of superiority mentality that's draped in false toughness. It's lame and I can't stand them. Sure I've dealt with young riders on race bikes that want to race or show off, and I laugh it off because my bike has about 70HP and theirs 110-140HP. No contest. Some racing is all in good fun, but these weekend warrior Harley people are always the ones to start sh!t and ride like idiots. This incident is NOT the first time I've been riding along minding my own business and had some Harley knobhead try to show me how cool he and his bike are, and how inferior me and whatever bike I'm on are. It's the "get a real bike" attitude and it's a joke.

6

@just an old cowboy- totally agree you can't fix stupid. There was a million things I wanted to say to these jerks but what's the point? They won't get it anyway. I figured laughing would be appropriate because they're a joke.

7

@'54 Club- how do you like the 750 kit?

8

Judd, I know exactly what you're saying. There's Harleys in my part of "the state of missery" like flies at a picknick table. We've got the Harley plant in KC.

It's probably safe to say that most of the riders that act "badass", get off their rides, comb their hair, and go to their cubicles at work. Just wannabe "bad boys and girls". Guess it makes them feel "in control" in their world.

It's funny, but the hardcore Harley guys have been the most "social" to me and the wife while we're out. Thumbs up, arm and fist up, and tons of cool comments.

There's just "bad beans" in life, part of it :P

9

J(ust an old Cowboy)D wrote:

There's always plenty of idiots on any "brand" bike or muscle car. You can't fix stupid, and "buttheads are buttheads".

Nope, it's just Harley homos around here.

On the county park road, they ride as close to the white line, many times crossing it, to scare us bicycle riders.

It just shows how small their dicks really are.

I have no respect for some fat ass, beer swilling, inbred degenerate who couldn't ride a bike around the block, let alone40-50-75-100 miles, like we do each ride. Yet they think THEY have more right to the road.

Perhaps God will create a new AIDS that will only affect those cretins.

10

You couldn't give me a Harley. But I'd take an Indian any day!

11

J(ust an old Cowboy)D wrote:

Judd, I know exactly what you're saying. There's Harleys in my part of "the state of missery" like flies at a picknick table. We've got the Harley plant in KC.

It's probably safe to say that most of the riders that act "badass", get off their rides, comb their hair, and go to their cubicles at work. Just wannabe "bad boys and girls". Guess it makes them feel "in control" in their world.

It's funny, but the hardcore Harley guys have been the most "social" to me and the wife while we're out. Thumbs up, arm and fist up, and tons of cool comments.

There's just "bad beans" in life, part of it :P

Agreed there's bad ones everywhere. Like I said in original post, it's not all of them just most all. Sometimes when I'm on my Triumph Harley types come up to me at the gas station and marvel at how nice it is and how they rode one way back when. I always take time to chat and thank them for the compliment, because obviously these are nice people who appreciate all bikes. Then they get into their Harley Davidson F150 and drive off. Which to me is kinda funny with the birds chirping and sunshine I'm left thinking, where's your bike?

12

Jeff O(ld Dirty Polack) wrote:

J(ust an old Cowboy)D wrote:

There's always plenty of idiots on any "brand" bike or muscle car. You can't fix stupid, and "buttheads are buttheads".

Nope, it's just Harley homos around here.

On the county park road, they ride as close to the white line, many times crossing it, to scare us bicycle riders.

It just shows how small their dicks really are.

I have no respect for some fat ass, beer swilling, inbred degenerate who couldn't ride a bike around the block, let alone40-50-75-100 miles, like we do each ride. Yet they think THEY have more right to the road.

Perhaps God will create a new AIDS that will only affect those cretins.

Jeff, I expected a post like this from you. Thanks for your usually "twist on life".

13

Hermitt wrote:

You couldn't give me a Harley. But I'd take an Indian any day!

Those Indians are "it" Hermitt.

14

J(ust an old Cowboy)D wrote:

Judd, I know exactly what you're saying. There's Harleys in my part of "the state of missery" like flies at a picknick table. We've got the Harley plant in KC.

It's probably safe to say that most of the riders that act "badass", get off their rides, comb their hair, and go to their cubicles at work. Just wannabe "bad boys and girls". Guess it makes them feel "in control" in their world.

It's funny, but the hardcore Harley guys have been the most "social" to me and the wife while we're out. Thumbs up, arm and fist up, and tons of cool comments.

There's just "bad beans" in life, part of it :P

+1 to the first part-POSERS!

and to the second- these are people who just love bikes. There's getting less and less of those types. It's sad that Harley as a company promotes this superior badass crap in their marketing and in dealerships. I can only imagine the REAL bikers are pretty bummed out at what Harley has become as an image.

15

I don't ride cycles, but if I did, it'd be an Indian. I see them at the dealership on Michigan avenue.

@ Cowboy - there have been dozens of times this summer where I could be dead or seriously injured or a parapalegic, because of these jackweeds.

People texting, Harley's with their feet in the stirrups (or whatever they call those things), cars and motorcycles in a COUNTY PARK where people walk, jog, run, roller blade, bicycle 365 days a year.

Too selfish to share the road.

A good friend of mine is a vegetable, because 2 doctors fell asleep on that road after a 36 hour shift and hit him head on as they crested a hill. He never had a chance to react.

16

I can't really comment on harley riders. I've never had any problems with them. but then I've never met any rich guy bikers. most harley riders I've known over the years built thier bikes from bits over years.

that said... Man I LOVE Metric Bobbers. one day I will have one.

17

As they say, there are bad apples in every bunch. Here in California there are lots of motorcycle riders. I've never had a situation as you describe. If I did, I wouldn't fall into their game and just ignore it.

I ride whatever brand I want to ride, which is usually the one I can afford at the time. I do have a little fun pulling up to a red light on a Yamaha VMax when the dude(s) in the next lane realize it's a chick on the VMax. The looks are priceless.

I don't have anything against Harley riders and so far every one I've met have been very nice. Last summer I went to The Deer Lodge (always packed with Harleys) with my roommate. I was riding my V65 Magna at that time. The guys were more impressed with how pristine the 1984 Magna and the fact that it was mine.

I don't know about buying a bike for the "toughness" factor. I do get concerned when I see a guy on a brand new Harley, with a brand new Harley jacket, matching boots, matching helmet, etc. It tells me they are likely not a seasoned rider and be careful.

I rode a Harley V-Rod Muscle a couple of years ago and would own one of those in a heartbeat. Actually, I've read Electra-Glides, Dynas, and a few other models and I like them also. Harleys have a nice nostagic vibe about them. I also like Triumphs, Nortons, Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, Vincent Black Shadows, and more.

My complaint would be a soccer mom with a van full of kids chatting on her cell phone being totally oblivious to her surroundings and running me off the road. I wish cars would not pull over into my lane with five feet between us. I wish everyone knew it takes a lot more distance to stop a bike than a car. I wish drivers on the freeway didn't have the opinion that all "bikers" are dope dealers or criminals and "get what they deserve" when they go down or get killed.

18

Jeff O(ld Dirty Polack) wrote:

Harley's with their feet in the stirrups (or whatever they call those things), cars and motorcycles in a COUNTY PARK where people walk, jog, run, roller blade, bicycle 365 days a year.

Jeff- those are highway pegs so these fat ass holes can get their legs up and air out their very small dicks and tiny balls on a hot day.

19

In my defense, I'm particularly cranky this weekend because after riding 100 miles every Saturday this summer, and over 150 miles each week, I'm grounded.

Because of my shoulder - tendenitis to the extent of possible surgery, if I can't rehab it. My legs feel like I could ride 100 miles every ride, but my right shoulder is shot.

Judd helped me perk up by hanging out yesterday. I got me a vintage 1980 Rickenbacker 4001 at a great price because we were out hittin' the guitar stores.

Of course, he made plenty of fun of me because of my Ibanez EDA900 bass - so I HAD to trade it in as partial payment for the Ric 4001.

20

Well ya don't buy a Harley because they make a quality bike.

21

By the way, in 2008 I rode my 1983 Suzuki GR650 Tempter from California to Michigan and back. It was the greatest vacation I have every had. Seeing our country on a motorcycle is an experience you never forget and will always appreciate. I did not run into one single "snob" including a stop off in Sturgis where everyone was as friendly as could be. I don't know if I'll take another long distance trip on that bike as it did have some electrical problems, but hey, it's an old bike. She's in the garage and loves short little jaunts. My next cross country trek will have to be on a much newer bike, with newer technology, and easier to find parts. :D

22

And while I know EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU would make fun of my spandex ASSOS bib riding shorts (especially Bonedaddy), you also would go out of your collective ways to make the road safe for both of us.

Link...

These are my favorite.

23

Jeff O(ld Dirty Polack) wrote:

And while I know EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU would make fun of my spandex ASSOS bib riding shorts (especially Bonedaddy), you also would go out of your collective ways to make the road safe for both of us.

Link...

These are my favorite.

NOZZLETUG

24

Sarah93003 wrote:

By the way, in 2008 I rode my 1983 Suzuki GR650 Tempter from California to Michigan and back. It was the greatest vacation I have every had. Seeing our country on a motorcycle is an experience you never forget and will always appreciate. I did not run into one single "snob" including a stop off in Sturgis where everyone was as friendly as could be. I don't know if I'll take another long distance trip on that bike as it did have some electrical problems, but hey, it's an old bike. She's in the garage and loves short little jaunts. My next cross country trek will have to be on a much newer bike, with newer technology, and easier to find parts. :D

Sounds cool Sarah. Nothing like a long ride like that to see the lands. I hear you on a newer/modern bike though- I was riding my old Yamaha TX650 as a daily rider for quite a while and although stone reliable, I didn't like pushing it that hard everyday. I opted for a 2001 Triumph Bonneville and absolutely love it- modern bike with modern technology(DOHC, more power, disc brakes, good electrics,) but with classic looks. My favorite thing to do is ask people to guess what year it is whenever they ask me. They completely overlook the disc brakes etc. and almost always think it's old.

25

I drive a miata. I don't get to talk smack about anyone, ever.


Register Sign in to join the conversation