Miscellaneous Rumbles

Happy Birthday Windsordave!

Happiest of birthdays to you today, Dave. I hope that it is a great one.

Thank yo mama for us! Best days to you.

Have a great day Dave

Well thank you very much folks, I truly appreciate all your well wishes! it was a good day and free of snow.....but we got a couple of inches over night. Fortunately it's melting as I head out to work.

Fortunately as well, there weren't any bagpipes around playing Happy Birthday....can it be played on bagpipes? I had to grab the remote to mute the TV on Saturday though as they appeared in the middle of The Devil's Brigade!

Cheers everyone.

Be careful what you wish for.

How could anyone not like this, though? All dressed up in their best kilts, the brisk roll of the sticks on the drums, and the lilting sound of pipes. Gotta love it.

Dang, missed it. Happy Birthday, Dave, albeit a little belated.

Be careful what you wish for.

How could anyone not like this, though? All dressed up in their best kilts, the brisk roll of the sticks on the drums, and the lilting sound of pipes. Gotta love it.

– Ric12string

Nothing wrong with the look Bob - quite elegant actually. It's the aural assault my ears are offended by. And I most certainly didn't wish for a parade of pipers to appear at my door!

Why do bagpipers always march when they play?

Trying to get away from that horrible sound.

They control their own fate. Bet a pile of pipes would make a nice blaze out on the moors on a winter day.

While in Scotland many years ago, I attended some Highland Games. The sound of pipes rang in my ears for a couple of days thereafter. But, I have to tell you that I enjoyed it. That is the musical sound of that country. I don't view pipes as an aural assault, but rather an indigenous sound of Scotland. They needn't be for everything, but they do make an important Scottish musical statement. View it as a cultural thing and maybe that will make it easier for you to take.

Late to the party -- happy birthday from the UK.

I'm late as well, but happy birthday Dave!

While in Scotland many years ago, I attended some Highland Games. The sound of pipes rang in my ears for a couple of days thereafter. But, I have to tell you that I enjoyed it. That is the musical sound of that country. I don't view pipes as an aural assault, but rather an indigenous sound of Scotland. They needn't be for everything, but they do make an important Scottish musical statement. View it as a cultural thing and maybe that will make it easier for you to take.

– Ric12string

I fully appreciate the cultural heritage of Scotland and what the pipes mean to its citizens. However, for the sake of the rest of the world's citizens that can't stand the racket they create, please leave them in your country! Unfortunately, there's a veritable tsunami of events in Canada that incorporate this aural assault. Any kind of political/parliamentary event both national and federal have this to accompany the ceremonies and many sporting events as well. I avoid all of these. Fortunately, when Vancouver hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics, I didn't hear this racquet anywhere. They may well have been there, but thankfully I didn't see or hear them if they were around

We have a national anthem, O Canada, NOT Amazing Grace!!!

We've got a national anthem here as well, but apparently no one can actually sing it.

We've got a national anthem here as well, but apparently no one can actually sing it.

– wabash slim

You've got that right, as judged by the 'performances' - if you can even call some of them that - at the beginning of major league sports' games. I'll give you one of the worst, and has been for years. The anthem singer for the Boston Bruins has absolutely not quality to the tone of his warbling voice.....and everyone cheers like he was the male equivalent of Kate Smith!!! (yeah I know it was GBA she sang for the Flyers but from a vocal quality standpoint, it makes my point) He's just pathetic!!! Here's two of the best renditions sung by US citizens (and 1 Canuck). The Dixie Chicks harmony on the word "proof" is simply extraordinary!

The Acoustix, Gold Medal winners, do a masterful job as well. Years ago I had the pleasure of taking the tenor's place at an afterglow party and sang with them for close to an hour. I only asked to sing one song with them but they I made a big impression on them so they asked what else I knew. Their tenor wasn't at the party so I ended up in the right place at the right time.

Register Sign in to join the conversation