Miscellaneous Rumbles

Happy Birthday Freddy Fender

Freddy Fender (born Baldemar Garza Huerta; June 4, 1937 in San Benito Texas – October 14, 2006) was a Mexican-American Tejano, country and rock and roll musician, known for his work as a solo artist and in the groups Los Super Seven and the Texas Tornados.

He is best known for his 1975 hits "Before the Next Teardrop Falls" and the subsequent remake of his own "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights".

Freddy grew up as a Migrant picking cotton in Arkansas and Texas.

He joined The Marines at age 16 , "I didn't have no sense," he says of that time in 1953 when he lied his way into the Corps. "But I was a gung-ho type. I wanted to be John Wayne and all that."

The rough-tough Marines: It was an image he tried to live up to. Unfortunately, there were no Koreans or Chinese to fight — just other Marines.

"Before I came in, I didn't drink, didn't smoke. But, I mean at 16, that first beer really turned me on." He'd get a little drunk and jump on any Marine that happened to be nearby, and before he knew it, he was in trouble. "Once you get in trouble, they've got their eyes on you. They're down on you," he says.

In the "almost three years" he spent with the Marine Corps, nearly a year was spent in the brig — 30 days the first time, three months the next, and the next time it was six months and a bad-conduct discharge.

Twenty-six years later, a wiser Fender says, "I can see where the system then just didn't have the time to handle young guys like me."

He can even find something good about leaving the Corps under less than honorable conditions.

"I found out that I couldn't get a good-paying job because of that discharge," he says. "And I didn't qualify for the GI Bill. So, you see? I had to keep singing. It was the only thing left open to me."

And he had a long association with the great Sir Douglas, who had a version of Wasted Days in 1971 -- a good 5 years before Freddy's own hit with the song.

They went back to around 1960.

Gotta GET DOWN with that San Antone Sound

It was nice to see them team up with Augie and Flaco for the Texas Tornados in the 90s.

And he had a long association with the great Sir Douglas, who had a version of Wasted Days in 1971 -- a good 5 years before Freddy's own hit with the song.

They went back to around 1960.

Gotta GET DOWN with that San Antone Sound

It was nice to see them team up with Augie and Flaco for the Texas Tornados in the 90s.

– DCBirdMan

I agree, they were fantastic Live.

My lady's dad was a supreme fan of Freddy Fender, me, not so much until Texas Tornados. I still chuckle when I hear Doug Sahm pronounced as Doug Sham.

My Favorite song of the Texas Tornado's is still Augie Meyers song, "Hey Baby, Que Paso". It just reeks party as I remember so fondly in Texas.

I say let's get down w/ the Tornados w/ Doug and Freddy upfront.

Freddy on an Ibanez Strat...

Augie on kool Vox organ

YEAH MAN one of the best 2 chord songs ever.

If you've not already seen the film of Sir Doug & the Genuine Texas Cosmic Groove, I highly recommend that you do.

If you've not already seen the film of Sir Doug & the Genuine Texas Cosmic Groove, I highly recommend that you do.

– Mr Tubs

I'll definitely look it up.

I have only 2 degrees of separation from Freddy --- a bass player I've been in several bands with played bass with Freddy back in the day.

Feliz Cumpleanos, caballero!

Several years ago when I was chasing grain ships I had to catch a flight to NOLA. As I was waiting to board a Southwest flight I noticed Freddy standing next to me. I seemed to be the only one that noticed him. All of a sudden a gate announcement requesting Freddie Fender to said gate came. THEN Freddy got noticed by the other waiting passengers! I had to laugh.

Several years ago when I was chasing grain ships I had to catch a flight to NOLA. As I was waiting to board a Southwest flight I noticed Freddy standing next to me. I seemed to be the only one that noticed him. All of a sudden a gate announcement requesting Freddie Fender to said gate came. THEN Freddy got noticed by the other waiting passengers! I had to laugh.

– razzer10_4

Did he have that big poofey semi Afro hair going on?

I thought we generally wished Freddy Fender a Feliz Navidad.

I thought we generally wished Freddy Fender a Feliz Navidad.

– Proteus

Thats the Other guy Proteus,,Feliciano.

– Mr Tubs

I recently saw it on the Firestick cause I love most all Texas music no matter who makes it. Doug Sahm was one of a kind. I liked how it detailed his travels into Scandinavia. Apparently he liked it so much there that he angered the band for writing so many songs about the place, while the Scandinavians wanted to hear his originals!.

Thats the Other guy Proteus,,Feliciano.

Durned if it ain't. When we played the song in my cover band around Christmas time (which is when it seemed to go over best...), our bass player - who sang it - always introduced it as a Freddy Fender song. It sounded like Freddy Fender. We did "Wasted Days" and "Teardrop" too, so I never questioned the attribution.

Man I hate learning stuff.

With apologies to Jose Feliciano from the great Bob Rivers!

Register Sign in to join the conversation