Miscellaneous Rumbles

Happy Birthday Bob Howard!

Happy Birthday...where's the party?

I withdraw my disqualification of your birthday present, Bob. Now that I see what it actually is, I'm more impressed. Carry on.

If I can play through what sounds like a Prinston and do so in the woods, then ... winning!

From our corner of the coast, have a terrific Birthday, Bob!

Wull hayil! Happy birthday, Bob!

Happy birthday Bob! I hope you had a great day (and year)!

Thanks all. Had a great day. Got together (six feet apart) with my buddy Dave and played guitar, sang and decided to take a motorcycle class. At 66 years old, I think I might be old enough.

Bob. I’ve known since I was 16 that I’m too ... something ... to ride a motorcycle. Through the years I’ve either accidentally/distractedly - or reactively (dodging oblivious drivers) - run off the right edge of the road dozens of times on my bike(cycle). I’ve always recovered and gotten back on the road, or picked myself up and gotten back on the bike.

On a motorcycle, at speed, you get to run off (or get run off) the road once. If you’re lucky, the rest of your day (and likely your bike) are ruined. That’s the best outcome, and there’s a spectrum of worse alternatives.

I’ve come off the bicycle three times in the 18 months or so I’ve been riding regularly again, and never broken a bone or even drawn blood (to speak of). And still, every time, it’s cost me at least a month just waiting for the musculoskeletal insults to fade.

I know we’re immortal and all, but at our age we’re neither as flexible nor resilient as we were - and we don’t heal/recover as fast. Do we need to review our visual and aural acuity, not to mention our processing and reaction time?

Experienced riders I know have drilled a couple motorcycle axioms into my head: it’s not if, it’s when; and it’s not you, it’s everyone else on the road.

In my calculus, whatever the attraction of the motorcycle (and, really, how many joyous carefree sunny breezy open roads are you going to have?), it’s not worth the risk. (Not to mention another money pit to drain your gear fund.) For me, it’s an elective threat to life and limb I can easily avoid.

Thanks for the warning, Tim. I’m sure you can guess how many times I’ve been warned by the many motorcyclists that surround me. My brothers, my band mates, my other friends. I promised my mom, as the only non-motorbike rider in the family, that I wouldn’t ride while she was alive. She passed a few years ago.

Many people have been bring up the subject of their “Bucket List”, a term I don’t care for as it seems like you are getting ready and fixing to die. Not me. I replace the “B” in Bucket List with an “F”.

My retirement has been nice and musical, but I feel like I’m dissolving. Getting softer and squishier and just tired of sitting home, adventureless.

It’s always been a balancing between safety and fulfilling fun. The older I get, the more the scale tips toward meaningful experiences than to absolute safety. You can live a life with little risk and then have an anvil drop on your head. That would suck. There’s a good chance that, in the last few seconds while seeing the oncoming anvil, I’d be thinking, “I wish I did more fun stuff.”

I’ll take the course in August and see how I feel then.

‘Thanks for your concern, though, Tim. I mean it. I’ll consider your words.

Yes ,Bob, please consider Tim's word. I felt so relieved when my brother gave up his bike 20 yrs. ago. Then after his divorce 3 years back he took up riding again. Even though most bike accidents are caused by other drivers, deer, etc., it doesn't change the outcome. Every other day it seem there is another bike accident in our local paper. Just yesterday a married couple lost their lives. Maybe I'm just in old fart mode, but I don't see another reason to tempt fate. Good luck no matter what you decide.

Bob, do you have a bike yet? The smaller ones (250cc - 400cc) are easier to learn on by far.

I did the motorcycle thing a few years ago...my wife was given a free Harley Sportster for her 15th anniversary working for the company where she was employed. My wife knew that the gift was coming, and was deathly afraid of motorcycles, so the plan was to sell it off. Much to my surprise a few months before the gifting, she decided we should keep it, for appearance sakes and it was decided I would take riding lessons....BEST THING I COULD HAVE DONE.

We rode the Sportster for a year, and traded it in for a Heritage Classic, and eventually ended up with an Electra-glide Classic (big, soft back seat, radio, headsets, trunk "space").

We were very careful riders...never had a drink while riding, didn't spend the evening at a bar and ride home, etc. We never had any wrecks.

We rode for probably about 8 years and in 2011 or 2012 we sold the bike. It was a lot of fun, and I would not discourage anyone from giving it a try if they are so inclined...I would just say that while on a bike, you DO have to always be on the defensive and stay sensible because as we all know if an accident should happen, your chances of survival are way less.

I say all this to get to this comment: I highly recommend a CONVERTIBLE CAR as a great alternative. We bought a Miata last year, and I gotta say it is the most fun I have ever had driving a car. You get all the open air feel of the bike, without having to wear all of the protective paraphernalia (gloves, jeans, long sleeves, helmets, etc. if you are riding "safe") and you are way less likely to be seriously injured if an accident would occur.

Paul, no. I’m gonna take the class before I decide that I want one. There is a good chance I’m not quite “intrepid” enough to deal with all of the preparations and discomfort, as fun as it may be. We’ll see.

ToddFan, thanks for the perspective. I may just think about the Miata. My car lease is up in March anyway.

I like the convertible idea, and offer a twist: a "classic". I don't know if you have an old car itch, and in truth a convertible is the expensive way to scratch it - but if you don't buy stupid (and civilization doesn't collapse), it's almost slam-dunk certain that you'll at least break even, and probably make money, when you sell.

I cast about in a casual way for some options, and found this interesting list: https://www.gq.com/story/vi... . There are dozens of other resources for finding something you might take a hanker to.

And in any convertible case, plan on sticking a bike(cycle) rack on it. Der bicyclette will give you the sense of two-wheel freedom, with much more fresh air (since you won't need completely enclosing body armor to feel reasonably safe), fewer bugs, and far less danger to life and limb. They're also healthier, and I think they even make you happier. (If I don't ride 3 - 4 times a week, I get cranky. Sorta like not playing guitar for a few days.)

You'd load the bike on the rack, drive the convertible through the endless suburbia which would bore you silly on a motorcycle (while providing minimum thrill and maximum danger), find some nice rural roads or purpose-built bike paths, unload and ride. Circle around, load up, and go home.

Late to the party but glad you had a great day. Happy Birthday!!!

Well, I missed this here, but celebrated with you on Facebook. I'll go down that road with Y'All; I LOVE convertibles. But, I learned that I love am AMPLE Moon Roof even more. One of my favorite things is riding in a driving rain, at about 70 mph on an open interstate, and opening the moon roof. Not a drop enters and extending your arm into the rain is a sensation that has no equivalent I've found. And, I don't worry about anyone slicing my rag top just to convince themselves that I truly am not sufficiently stupid to leave treasures for the likes of them.

But, back to BOB! Happy Birthday, you softie, you. Welcome to the Club. All My Lovin, Olivia Anne

Register Sign in to join the conversation