Miscellaneous Rumbles

Happy 80th Birthday Eddie Cochran

Happy 80th Birthday to the late great Eddie Cochran.

Oct 3rd 1938 - Apr 17th 1960.

Never Forgotten.

I wasn't aware that we shared the same birthday. Happy birthday Eddie, I know you are playing that great gig in the sky!

Happy Birthday Ed!

Somethin' Else blastin' as i type.

Can't believe an 'Eagles' (the band) thread gets 4 pages of posts so far and this one is as lonesome as is. Of all the artists that were gone before I was even born Eddie is one of the very few I really miss. Here's one of my faves.

Happy Birthday, Eddie!

Are they holding an Event over at Bell Gardens American Legion Hall this year?

Are they holding an Event over at Bell Gardens American Legion Hall this year?

– LA_Manny

Yep...on Sunday from 3pm to 11pm at the American Legion. An 80th birthday celebration hosted by The Unholy Four.

Yep...on Sunday from 3pm to 11pm at the American Legion. An 80th birthday celebration hosted by The Unholy Four.

– Wheelgrinder

Looks like I know where Im going to be on Sunday. Merci Beaucoup!

In some alternate universe Eddie didn't die, but went on to be the major force we all know he should have been. As in he was just scratching the surface. I'd a loved to seen him fully fleshed out and reaching the incredible ht's of songwriting and playing he had in him. Not that what he left behind is anything to sneer at,quite the opposite. But it would be as though the Beatles died in a crash right after their first 5 or 6 hits.But could you imagine an eighty y.o. Eddie still kick'in it now,oh ya baby!

Looks like I know where Im going to be on Sunday. Merci Beaucoup!

– LA_Manny

Guybo will be there!

Guybo was hanging out tonight jammin w my friends Buddy and Suzy Dughi. He posted pics on his wall, dont know if I should cross post. I'll wait till Sunday.

At the Birthday gig today.

The So Cal Gretsch Jam was represented by the Guitarist /Singer of the Altar Billies who played some very straight forward and well played traditional Rockabilly. Nice Guy too.

The Eddie Cochran Plaque in the Legion Hall. I like how the Plaque has the Gretsch with the P-90 in the neck position displayed.

Grestch donated some Raffle Prizes.. I didnt win.

The Legion was Packed and people were dancing everywhere. Heres My wife Myra getting her caricature drawn. There were 2 Artist drawing Cartoons and displaying their works. They gave out some really cool comic books as you walked in.

We only saw 3 Bands before we had to leave,it was a Sunday Gig.

For some reason I never photograph well.

Since it was a work nite ,had to leave at 7pm right when it was starting to heat up and get good. The Hot Rod Trio was playing some Eddie Cochran tunes as we left. Too bad for us it was an early nite. Maybe next year I can figure out a way to stay all nite.

After Friday's show I travelled back from Burnham On Sea, just south of Bristol, as a passenger in the piano player's car. He has a stubborn aversion to motorways. Up the A38, over the winding A638 to Bath. The A36 bypass was closed. So we went through Bath on the A4 and continued to Chippenham and happily, beyond.

I had no intention that day of taking that route. But circumstance conspired and there I was following Eddie's last journey, late in the evening. It was a strangely profound experience, seeing the pale stone buildings whizz by, noting the strange names of the villages on the way- Box, Corsham, Monkton Farleigh heading ever closer to that vanishing point.

I think of Eddie almost every day. Even after all this time and I am so much older than he ever would be, I still look up to him and when I lose my way he points the compass straight and true again.

Register Sign in to join the conversation