Miscellaneous Rumbles

Had to put our dog Jack down this morning

It’s mysterious how a dog can wriggle itself so deeply into your soul. I was holding my Lab when she took her last breath. I still can’t come around to get another dog. It was (is) that bad.

My sincere sympathy.

Condolences on the loss. Been there, know what it's like.

My wife and I have been down this road more times than one should. It doesn't get easier. I feel for you.

I’ve heard that dogs can bring out the best in people. Apparently even people whom they’ve not even met, as shown by all of your kind words and love. Thank you all again!

I am on my third lab. The first two got to where they could no longer stand and I relased them so that they could once again run. I am not ashamed to admit that I cried for both and I am tearing now just remembering. There comes a time when it is necessary to just let go.

Sir Walter Scott said it perfectly: “I have sometimes thought of the final cause of dogs having such short lives and I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?”

A beautiful and touching post. Thanks for sharing and so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry, I have no words. Been there. I would like to say, at least he lived a long life, that is as it should be... I wasn't so lucky. My boy had to go 2 weeks before his 8th birthday, we only had him 5 years (Greyhound, they don't get adopted as puppies, they get adopted once their racing career is over).

And what a wonderful post- Jack certainly does sound like a special dog. As someone once told me (about my current dog, Stevie), "They are all special. But some are more special than others."

Very sorry for your loss, Zig. Glad you, and so many of his human family and friends, were with with him at the end. Like others have said, and having gone through it a number of times myself, losing our furry family members is so tough to go through. We're all thinking of you and Jack.

We had to put our dog Jack down this morning. Any pet owner/lover knows how tough it is to do, because they are part of the family. I've been lucky enough during my short 57 years to have had a few really good dogs. Jack was in a different league. Jack was so intelligent and had a huge vocabulary. I'd swear that when we were spelling certain words (mostly pertaining to food) so that he wouldn't know what were were talking about, he could actually spell. Jack was almost always smiling and it was infectious. He did not have a bit of malice in his body. He was truly a good soul. I sometimes called him Saint Jack. Anyone and everyone who met him immediately liked him. We took Jack home yesterday from a critical care hospital so that he'd have his last full day at home, surrounded by those who loved him. It took a while to get out of the hospital because the staff became so attached to him in just two days. I know that when I first met Joyce, she fell in love with Jack. Luckily I was part of the package and human, so she married me. During the years I lived in Tolland, there would be times when I'd have Jack outside while I was involved in yard work or another project. Jack would get interested in the different smells that are the information stream for dogs and start to explore. Over time, he eventually developed a route. Along Jack's route, were chickens that one of my neighbors used to keep for the eggs. Jack would stop and play with the chickens. The neighbor didn't mind, because Jack was so gentle. On one occasion when I hadn't been home, one of the kids let him out and for some reason never tracked him down. When I returned home to no Jack, I started to get ready to go look for him, but a neighbor showed up with Jack. When I inquired where he found Jack, he replied that he found Jack inside his house playing with his own children who though he was so cool, so they let him in. Unfortunately the skunk Jack met near our patio a couple years ago. wasn't too thrilled with him So Jack spent his last day surrounded by those he loved and who loved him. Tim and his fiancee Alise were here, Julianne was here and Joyce was here. My stepson Eric had to FaceTime in as he was away with his dad. We spoiled him with all sorts of food, including chocolate - which dogs shouldn't eat. Jack loved chocolate and would steal it whenever he could. Everyone got to spend time with our Saint Jack and say goodbye. This morning was tough. Jack was in great spirits, smiling and wagging his tail. I made him scrambled eggs and chased it with chocolate. Jack ate two ice cream cups at the vet's just before it was final goodbye time. He passed peacefully with me hugging him at about 10:00.

– Zigracer

What a lovely story, that I certainly resonate with. Seventeen months ago we had to put our wonderful 16 year old little friend Abby down. Bev and I held her and loved her as she went - so that her last sounds, smells and feelings that she experienced were of love and comfort. Brings tear to my eyes now as I think about it. Our vet had a very nice "grieving room" where "the deed" was done. There were two plaques in there that were comforting - one makes you smile, and the other brings tears even as it reassures us that "the deed" was necessary. Here they are:

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all the components of my heart will be DOG, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

And: "IF IT SHOULD BE". If it should be that I grow weak and pain should keep me from my sleep, then you must do what must be done, for this last battle cannot be won. You will be sad, I understand. Don't let grief then stay your hand. For this day more than all the rest, your love for me must stand the test. We've had so many happy years what is to come can hold no fears. You'd not want me to suffer, so the time has come, please let me go. Take me where my needs they'll tend and please stay with me until the end. Hold me firm and speak to me until me eyes no longer see. I know in time that you will see the kindness that you did for me. Although my tail its last has waved, from pain and suffering I've been saved. Please do not grieve, it must be you, who had this painful thing to do. We've been close, we two, these years. Don't let your heart hold back its tears."

Thank you again, my friends. All of your thoughtfulness, kind words and perspective really help at this time. I have a lot of friends in my life, but I have to say that this community is really something special. I have been and am blessed.

God bless Saint Jack's sweet soul as he passes over that Rainbow Bridge. I let go more than a few tears reading about the beautiful picture Zigracer gave us of Jack's life.

I've been there with one dog and two cats......I love them all. I cried when Ruger posted about Stevie's passing. When Hermit's dog(I think his name was Bear) passed, the emotions were raw once again.

Zig, I believe there is a soul and our furry family members have them too. He certainly knew he was loved and why he was so endearing. I know the "numb" you might be feeling but you certainly did the right thing and like a great pal, were completely tuned in to Jack's well-being.

Bless his heart and your's too as my thoughts and well wishes are with you and your family. Please take comfort and celebrate the wonderful partnership you had with Jack and the special life he had.

Peace to you, Dave

Register Sign in to join the conversation