Miscellaneous Rumbles

Guitar shop in DC?

Taking a work trip out to DC in July. I usually like to check out the mom and pop guitar shops in the various towns I travel to. Sometimes these trips remind me how lucky I am to live in the same town as Dave's Guitar shop. But if there is a good shop I usually like to at least pick up a tshirt. Wondering if anybody can point me in the direction of a guitar shop I should hit up while in DC?

Action Music in Falls Church, VA comes to mind. Its not too far from a Metro stop.

Another vote for Action music. You can try out many great guitars through many amps, both old and new. Friendly and knowledgeable folk.

Then find your way to Wheaton MD to seeChuck Levin’s Washington Music, abustling (dare I say NY style) shop.

One other interesting store is Atomic music in College Park MD. Biggest collection of used gear in town. They haggle.

I"m an Atomic loyalist.. never done much w/ Action although they do have some cool stuff in there.

Isn’t it odd that these three places get recommended but never a guitar shop in the District itself? There used to be a few but I don’t know of a single one. Maybe I just don’t get out much.

Yes, Bob. Wasn’t there a primarily acoustic shop in DC?

Yes, Bob. Wasn’t there a primarily acoustic shop in DC?

– Mark G

The one in DuPont Circle? Yep, but it's gone now. "The Guitar Shop" or something similar. Lots of cool vintage at not insane prices.

As is American Guitar Center, across from Chuck Levin's in Wheaton.....and the place on Old Georgetown Road, and....

The one in DuPont Circle? Yep, but it's gone now. "The Guitar Shop" or something similar. Lots of cool vintage at not insane prices.

As is American Guitar Center, across from Chuck Levin's in Wheaton.....and the place on Old Georgetown Road, and....

– Kap'n

There were a few. The one on Old G’town was Southworth. Loads of vintage. Pricy. There was also Barbara’s Guitars on 18th St. NW.

Action and Chucks are the ones I frequented. Atomic Music has a lot of used/consignment odds-n-ends.

Register Sign in to join the conversation