Miscellaneous Rumbles

Guitar room flooring

The question came up here about vacuuming your guitar room. Some included pictures that showed a variety of flooring materials. Mine is currently carpeted and is showing its 30 or so years of wear. As a covid project I was going to replace it with laminate. The room is approximately 10 feet by 20 feet. Any opinions on how it will effect the sound?

You’ll get more bounce but you can always add a rug. The walls being supported by the floors can be an issue so the carpet helps. When I rebuilt the schoolhouse I made sure the floor which is chestnut was isolated/independent from the walls.

It'll definitely be brighter. Room treatments really affect sound quality. Remember back when you first moved into a house or apartment, as to how the place sounded? How bright it was before you added furniture, carpet and drapes? It also makes a difference if you're on a wood floor structure, or a concrete slab. Laminates won't be quite as bright as tile, and it'll be far easier to keep cleaner than carpet.

I have a Persian rug on the Hardwood floor and a Quilt suspended on the opposite sounding wall in the Music Room. Those soak up a lot of the extended reverberations. It's a quiet space.

There are also Hardwoods throughout our main living area, which is much larger overall, that I also use for guitars/amps along with our piano.

Both very different.

I think adding the rug and quilt is a good idea. Maybe curtains too.

The day everything is moved out of my studioffice to replace the carpet is the day after my loved ones, heirs, and assigns get to listen to all 18:05 of “Close to the Edge” at my funeral.

Whats wrong with a live sounding room? I had a grammy award winning producer in my music room last night and he loved how “live” it sounded. Wouldn't do for mixing an album, but its great for playing. #KillTheCarpet

Nothing wrong with it per se, but the question was how will it change the sound. And the answer is it will brighten it, and I think it will brighten it a lot. Most ceilings are hard so having a hard reflective floor will definitely brighten it, and may also Induce standing waves.

The day everything is moved out of my studioffice to replace the carpet is the day after my loved ones, heirs, and assigns get to listen to all 18:05 of “Close to the Edge” at my funeral.

– Proteus

My other half swears that if she listens to all 18:05 of Close to the Edge, her funeral will promptly ensue.

...without carpet it will be much easier to clean close to the edge. Probably won't take near 18:05 to get finish the whole thing.

...without carpet it will be much easier to clean close to the edge. Probably won't take near 18:05 to get finish the whole thing.

– Toddfan

Very true... but how about the total mass retain?

The biggest problem that I have in my office/music room is the ceiling fan. When I turn it on it actually affects the high E and B strings. Unfortunately, living in Vegas where it's currently 112 degrees outside, turning it off is rarely an option since lowering the AC to the point of my comfort makes my wife freeze!

It WILL affect the sound -- the extent depends on other construction/materials details.

Try the laminate and see how you like it. It is easier to add a carpet if you're so inclined.

The basement room that ultimately became my music studio already had wall-to-wall shag. The only thing I didn't like about that was the colors used, which I've described as a 'road collision vegetable medley'.

Fortunately that effect is mitigated by a couple of area rugs that are much more agreeable, again; plush shag.
Those, along with the foam acoustic tiles, may be overkill, but it's super quiet and inviting in there. There is an egress window, but even that's blocked up with a homasote insert panel I fabricated.

The only remaining concerns I had for the space, acoustically, was the drop tile ceiling (ultimately not a problem), and one large wall featuring an autumn mural. The mural is so very 70s, with the orange shag carpet I couldn't say 'no'.
It's also partly why the music studio is called 'The Great Pumpkin'.

Looks like a pleasant space, Edison. Mine could be a pleasant space - all neutral gray and cream - but there's no space left. It's pretty much mad-scientist purposeful clutter.

Looks like a pleasant space, Edison. Mine could be a pleasant space - all neutral gray and cream - but there's no space left. It's pretty much mad-scientist purposeful clutter.

– Proteus

Maybe an Intervention is in order.

We experimented with both carpet and no carpet. The real difference was whether the garage door was opened or closed.

– Proteus

We certainly expected no less than "mad-scientist purposeful clutter." We know ya.

Maybe an Intervention is in order.

It's way too late.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think I will proceed with the laminate and will definitely find a good size area rug.

Register Sign in to join the conversation