Miscellaneous Rumbles

Guitar check out at library

Backpackers without a strap are miserable little bastards to play. I know because I've had one for a while.

– NJBob

Yup. Gotta have a bit of rope or string on it.

Backpackers without a strap are miserable little bastards to play. I know because I've had one for a while.

– NJBob

You're right---maybe that's why they come with a strap.

Nick, that’s a great idea. Never heard of a library loaning our guitars. You started an awesome idea. I applaud you for this.

I didn’t read anything anyone wrote yet so not sure if this is mentioned but should the person checking out the guitar leave a credit card or cash money as collateral in the event he or she doesn’t return it or if it’s broken while being checked out? I don’t find that unreasonable at all.

Maybe a ukulele for checkout would be good. Not expensive instruments.

Now that I think of it and as much as I love the idea (and I really do) I ask myself: Do American kids visit libraries? Ours don't really do over here (Berlin/Germany). I mean... you need to get them in there in the first place.

Now that I think of it and as much as I love the idea (and I really do) I ask myself: Do American kids visit libraries? Ours don't really do over here (Berlin/Germany). I mean... you need to get them in there in the first place.

– sascha

Our library rents out alot of DVDs. It's full if families most of the time. They also do all kinds of family activities there. I live in a smaller town in Northern Utah. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all your help

Great, good luck!

My local library has an instrument loaning program.

https://calgarylibrary.ca/b...

I haven't used it but was really impressed when they announced it - I believe it's been running for about a year now. I was tempted to muck around with a mandolin so maybe I'll try to borrow one and report back on how smooth the process is.

Although I saw from the press release it's funded by a massive insurance/financial corporation, so I assume they have the means to keep it running easier than a few individuals.

[Edit: Dang! I just saw they also have a pedal steel. This isn't just the total mainstream variety of instruments! But they don't list a description beyond "Acoustic Guitar, Steel String" so I don't know if these are low quality/decent quality, new/used/abused instruments.]

With renewal, it is a six week loan.

With renewal, it is a six week loan.

– Deed Eddy

But just scanning quickly looks like there are holds on most instruments, so you wouldn't be able to renew. Which means more often than not it's a 3 week loan. However there's no limit to how many times you can borrow, and if I interpret the rules correctly, you can have 1 hold in place while 1 instrument checked out. So if you placed a hold and jumped back into the queue the day you checked out your instrument, hopefully you're almost back to the front of the queue by the time you have to return it 3 weeks later.

Not saying it's ideal but I still think it's an impressive endeavour.

Question for Nick6120 - is the city/town you're proposing doing this in a large city with multiple library branches or just a single one? It looks like even though my local library has numerous branches, all instruments are loaned out of one location.

That may make things easier - then with just a bit of education for the librarian, they could know what is real damage and what isn't. If someone didn't know, they may think a broken guitar string is a big issue just cause it's noticeable, but may overlook something like a crack down the top.

Maybe a go fund me for raising money to buy/sustain the instruments?

Personally I would suggest a cheap tele style guitar over any kind of acoustic. I know the hell my tele has been through and survived. Also, used strats show up for $50 all day on CL and FB marketplace. If you're savvy on setups that's a great option.

Maybe another option would be having a program that takes place inside said library? If they have a rarely used room, or some kind of quiet space, maybe they would be willing to set that up with a few instruments, and maybe a computer for video lessons. Youtube is a great resource for learning to play.

Love the idea overall. Keep us posted.

This is a great idea. Of course your local library would have to have a place for them , initially, and you could probably get some donated locally. I have found shopgoodwill.com to be a good place to get a decent cheap acoustic, I have bought several there, for Grandchildren as starter guitars. Best of luck in your venture.

Nick6120. I liked your idea. Ive started a program. I wish to give you credit. It goes live in a few weeks.

Hey Dave. I have a pretty beat to death Sea Gull you can have, it has a neck like a snake and Grover tuners, a guitar that I have loved very much through the years. Yours for the asking. If a kid could learn chords on it then when he got a git with tight action he would be the next Eric Clapton Shit I might just give you a nice Beringer acoustic amp with it. Seriously get in touch. I still have not got my piano but if and when I do I will amp up a notch or two, meanwhile I can play my acoustics through my board. No shit my friend you can have them both.

Thanks cris! Gonna start small. Might take you up on it someday though!

I'm going to need another painting.

Just email me the pic crisbo. Will do

Register Sign in to join the conversation