Miscellaneous Rumbles

Guitar check out at library

I an thinking about buying a few cheep guitars for my local library that people could check out. I would maintain them. Need your input. What do you think. Maybe it would get some kids off video games. Maybe a tax right off? Anyone ever hear of this?

Awsome. May i suggest martin backpackers? You can get them used for 50-100bucks. They are small and durable. A phone call to cris might get you factory seconds at a big discount. ( hes a great guy). Ukes are very populer with kids too. They are fairly cheap too.

This is a wonderful idea. You can set up the cheapest thing off of Craig’s List to be a good starter guitar for a kid. Better than anything available to me in the ‘60s. When the word gets out, you may even start to get donated guitars. You could be the Ben Franklin (think lending library) of guitars.

Why ducking? Seems like a great program.

– Strummerson

Perhaps Rich is saying that any talk suggesting that anything is better than guns is duck worthy here in ‘merica.

Needs a catchy name. Guit-brary? Axe Lenders?

Needs a catchy name. Guit-brary? Axe Lenders?

– Bob Howard

"The String Theory" maybe.

isn't deed involved is some kinda school music thing?

To assure safety and return of gear, make them leave cell phones in exchange! Yea, that will work.

Overall, it sounds like an interesting idea. Good luck!

...------

I originally read the above link as "guitar snot guns" and I did duck. Sorry

Nice idea, but I've seen how people treat "free" things.

A Martin Backpacker is as bulletproof a guitar as you could ask for. 24" scale, and it's small enough for youngsters.

Great idea! I agree with munman -- try reaching out to Chris Martin, Martin Guitars. He IS a good person and seems supportive of community/educational efforts.

my backpacker has been through hell, its held up amazingly well. I'm sure you'll lose a few and have a few destroyed. the concept sounds great. ugly guitars probably will be returned....paint them ugly colors with name of library on it in large letters.

Great ideas. Thanks so much. Kids want instant gratification now days. It could change some life's.

Love this idea.

Dinah Gretsch has won awards for her children's music programs. Deed also may be involved in some other programs. But, it's a passion of Dinah's for sure. You might give a call down to Savannah to check if she has ideas to help you along. Well done, you!

I love the idea of the idea ... but I have some questions about logistics. Specifically the duration of a loan.

As we all know, to make encouraging progress, you gotta play the guitar for awhile every day, over a sustained period. A few-day loan would put guitars in peoples' hands - but not leave them there long enough for regular practice. A week isn't enough. A month is barely a good start.

Also, most people progress best with lessons (though the internet is a sufficient resource for some). Could you imagine the library program including lessons? Structured so that kids/folks bring their loaned guitars once a week for a group class? Individual lessons?

Where would this just merge into an instrumental rental program, lately so beloved of local music stores, with a small monthly fee to eventually own the instrument, and lessons packaged with the program? But does a library want to manage all that? Do they get a local guitarist - i.e., you! - to coordinate it?

I'm not saying any of this, or variations thereon, wouldn't work. I'm just curious how you envision the "loan" period working.

I'm not saying any of this, or variations thereon, wouldn't work. I'm just curious how you envision the "loan" period working. Proteus

I'm assuming the loan period would have to be more than the typical book loans. Maybe a month or two....?

Backpackers without a strap are miserable little bastards to play. I know because I've had one for a while.

It would take some details to be worked out, but a guitarbrary is a great idea.

I love the idea of the idea ... but I have some questions about logistics. Specifically the duration of a loan.

As we all know, to make encouraging progress, you gotta play the guitar for awhile every day, over a sustained period. A few-day loan would put guitars in peoples' hands - but not leave them there long enough for regular practice. A week isn't enough. A month is barely a good start.

Also, most people progress best with lessons (though the internet is a sufficient resource for some). Could you imagine the library program including lessons? Structured so that kids/folks bring their loaned guitars once a week for a group class? Individual lessons?

Where would this just merge into an instrumental rental program, lately so beloved of local music stores, with a small monthly fee to eventually own the instrument, and lessons packaged with the program? But does a library want to manage all that? Do they get a local guitarist - i.e., you! - to coordinate it?

I'm not saying any of this, or variations thereon, wouldn't work. I'm just curious how you envision the "loan" period working.

– Proteus

Very good advice. I will ponder on it. The backpacker is the perfect guitar for this. Thanks

If not the library, there's the Boy's and Girl's Clubs, Scouts, church youth groups, and others. Consider veterans or old folks as well.

Register Sign in to join the conversation