Miscellaneous Rumbles

Guitar Art

I saw this at a restaurant in Idaho and it got me thinking How about we all share our GUITAR ART

Sara from the Baltimore roundup on the back of a Baltimore Gretsch.

I don’t know if I’ve shared this before but about 4 years ago I took an art class and one of the assignments was to take a classic artwork and put a spin on it.... naturally this is what I came up with

Guitar Art for wine & beer bottles

Saw this type metal work one Christmas wondering around the Riverside Mission. Friends I was with noticed my interest & the next Christmas I received this as a gift.

I'm waiting for some guitar art from Voodooholly's daughter Ginta.

Buddy of mine from college days (who went on to a design career with Ford, Renault, then Chrysler) made this pickguard for my parted-together 60s Melody Maker in 1975. (5 lbs, 3 oz, still as great a playing guitar as I ever.) Clear plexi, painted black on the back, the art scratched away with styli and burnishing tools, then covered with reflective tape.

College boy that I was, I had him work in all the mythological (and personal) references that would artfully fit. 25% off a stock Tru-Arc™ if you can name 14 of the 15 images (not counting the lightning bolts or my name) to my satisfaction.

The guard was cracked in a idiot move by a studio partner decades ago, so I removed it and mounted it to preserve the art. It's just sitting on the Melody Maker for context. When it was live, there was a Fat Strat pup at the bridge (1975) and an early 60s Gibby bucker at the neck.

It was replaced with this, circa 1983. I used to make pickguards; this one is mirror plexi. (So that's kinda art, even if there's no representational stuff, right?)

Dano lipstick tube at the neck, Framus whatever at the bridge. The guitar sounds nothing like a Melody Maker - but it does sound like a very light, thin Honduran mahogany 24.75" rosewood-boarded slab with two very distinctive single-coil pickups. Frets are low and wide...ridiculously comfortable.

Roctopus! I'm just sayin ... (for sale if anybody's interested)

Many years ago I picked this up at a Mtn Flea market Barn wood and old barb wire-I love it, it’s on the wall in our Cabin up here in eastern Idaho

My neighbor the artist made this for me. From my back porch in Micanopy (Mick and Opie).

'nother shot.

It was replaced with this, circa 1983. I used to make pickguards; this one is mirror plexi. (So that's kinda art, even if there's no representational stuff, right?)

Dano lipstick tube at the neck, Framus whatever at the bridge. The guitar sounds nothing like a Melody Maker - but it does sound like a very light, thin Honduran mahogany 24.75" rosewood-boarded slab with two very distinctive single-coil pickups. Frets are low and wide...ridiculously comfortable.

– Proteus

Blue Oyster Cult's guitarists had mirrored guards on their guitars. Their lighting guy had us hit the guitars with follow spots so they could blind the audience. He was blown away when we made carbon arc lamps "strobe" with stagehand magic.

Register Sign in to join the conversation