Miscellaneous Rumbles

Gretsches in the Movies

This was a fun old thread that existed before the crash that needs resurrecting. It's a little different from the "Didn't Know They Played a Gretsch" thread in the Vintage Gretsch section in that this includes stuff that isn't by real players. If you spot a Gretsch in a movie, TV show, advert or anything else (print included) feel free to post.

A couple off the top of my head: The Girl Can't Help It (3 Gretsches!), an episode or two of I Dream of Jeannie (Boyce and Hart, and Phil Spector with shiny Tennies), a Buddy Holly-ish guy with a '55 Duo Jet on an episode of Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. "Bueller, Bueller, Bueller..."

The earliest sighting of a Gretsch in action is probably from 1942 by Gretsch endorser Red River Dave in a couple of music videos.

Maybe the earliest color sighting is from 1955: Picnic starring Kim Novak, William Holden and a 1953-ish PX6192 Electro 2 (pre-Country Club). This is a fantastic movie filmed in 1954 in a small Kansas town. The Labor Day Picnic (Neewollah, Halloween backwards) Queen is about to be crowned and there is an energetic little dance combo playing. Front and center is the guitar(ist) in two scenes: at the bandstand and later at the dock to meet the Queen.

Here you can clearly see the harp tailpiece, twin Dynasonics, bound pickguard, Melita bridge, clear knobs and no pickup selector. Kim Novak on the right. This film is well worth your time, an incredible document of mid-century, mid-country America.

You're next!

Of course Hard Day's Night and Help, but I think you sort of discounting that scene as cool as it is because everyone knows that... and going for the pre Brit Invasion movie era.

Of course Hard Day's Night and Help, but I think you sort of discounting that scene as cool as it is because everyone knows that... and going for the pre Brit Invasion movie era.

– DCBirdMan

No discounting anything! If it's a movie, with a Gretsch, it's legit. Post away!

Yep in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" he has that White Falcon in his room. I know it's been posted here before but I thought I would mention it in regards to the topic.

No Gretsches in Hard Days Night. Lots o' Ricks though.....and a Gibson....and a Hofner.

There’s one on tv most nights. Conan O’Brian at home.

Crazy Heart. I thought the Gretsch upstaged Bad Blake, though the Dude was also great.

Yep in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" he has that White Falcon in his room. I know it's been posted here before but I thought I would mention it in regards to the topic.

– ThePolecats

Here is the Ferris Bueller's Day Off, White Falcon

Elvis' bandmate Wilbur (Joby Baker) has a 6120 in "Girl Happy" (1965), Ritchie Valens plays a 6120 in "Go Johnny Go" (1959), The guy playing Eddie Cochran (Jerry Zaremba) uses a '70s Country Roc in "The Buddy Holly Story" (1978), Brian Setzer as Eddie Cochran uses a 6120 in "La Bamba" (1987) and George Harrison uses both a Country Gentleman and Tennessean in "Help" (1965). Also, in the Bob Hope/Jackie Gleason film "How To Commit Marriage" (1969) a girl member of the group "The Comfortable Chair" looks to be playing a Cadillac Green Country Club.

Brian Setzer as Eddie Cochran in La Bamba......not Eddie's model though.

Almost forgot Mac Sledge (Robert Duvall) playing a '50s Rancher in "Tender Mercies" (1983).

And Bradley Cooper is playing a Gretsch in "A Star Is Born". A white Rancher I think.

Bruce Welch in Summer Holiday.

Awful film Rhinestone ,there was a lovely old 55 6120.

Grease ,a Jet Firebird.

The earliest sighting of a Gretsch in action is probably from 1942 by Gretsch endorser Red River Dave in a couple of music videos.

I can not let any mention of Red River Dave go by without posting this gem:

Ferry Cross the Mersey!

Just ran across this: a coupla dudes with Tele and what looks to be a '60/1 6120 from Honey West in 1965. The story actually revolved around the long-hair warm-up band to these guys: Bobby Sherman (!), Michael Pollard and some guy in a wig all playing Teiscos.

Register Sign in to join the conversation