Miscellaneous Rumbles

Gretsch Talk hacked?

People at TDPRI are talking about this as we speak.

Maybe it’s just me, but why the big to-do over this?

Unsure. The only time I ever head over there is when someone hereabouts suggests it for some reason. Otherwise....

PS- still happening, if anyone cares.

It's back up.

Nice group of folks there, just like here---a few are active on both sites. Must be the influence of Gretsch guitars.

Yeah, G-T is a good site. And it's moderated, so no political talk over there, for those who like that :)

Why some people attend one but not the other IDK, this isn't democrats-vs-republicans. I've learned alot and met alot of good people on both sites. This isn't an either/or proposition. There's no adultery or disloyalty involved LOL.

Yeah, G-T is a good site. And it's moderated, so no political talk over there, for those who like that :)

Why some people attend one but not the other IDK, this isn't democrats-vs-republicans. I've learned alot and met alot of good people on both sites. This isn't an either/or proposition. There's no adultery or disloyalty involved LOL.

– ruger9

I agree.

Well said, ruger9.

– ruger9

It's a for profit site which doesn't sit well with me. We share a lot of information here not asking for a dime, and we all know that Baxter is cool, a true friend and does this for zero dollars. That isn't the case on the other site so I just like to hang where I'm welcome and I don't think it's right that the guy is profiting form our collective knowledge.

In addition he was asked to remove "Gretsch Discussion Pages" from his site, he refused, smurf him.

And no, I didn't type smurf...

Did anyone start another Gretsch site while GT was having problems?

Guys, it's just a DNS issue. It happens. It sucks when it happens, but it happens. There's almost definitely not some nefarious thing going on. Any number of things can trigger DNS issues, from moving to a new server box (even on the same host) to forgetting to update the paperwork, to about a zillion other things.

There are a lot of good folks over there, and it's beneath us to delight in any issues they're having. I have issues with the guy running the site, his utter opportunism and lack of respect for my hard work and intellectual property, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of good people there.

Did anyone start another Gretsch site while GT was having problems?

– Proteus

Now, see. That right there is 100%, bona fide, major league funny.

It's a dns issue. The fix will roll out to everyone eventually. Could have happened for a number of reasons, but almost definitely not hacking.

– Baxter

Karma. That's what it's called.

It's a for profit site which doesn't sit well with me. We share a lot of information here not asking for a dime, and we all know that Baxter is cool, a true friend and does this for zero dollars. That isn't the case on the other site so I just like to hang where I'm welcome and I don't think it's right that the guy is profiting form our collective knowledge.

In addition he was asked to remove "Gretsch Discussion Pages" from his site, he refused, smurf him.

And no, I didn't type smurf...

– Curt Wilson

It may be a for-profit site, but it hasn't cost ME a dime, so it's free to me...

IDK anything about requests between Bax and G-T, or Gretsch and G-T. None of my business.

Karma. That's what it's called.

– WB

Be careful when talking about karma. Remember this site suffered a much larger failure a few years ago that permanently damaged the GDP. I recently tracked the two sites over a week and found that the other forum has twice as many threads, posts and actively contributing members than this one. While total members favors the GDP, new members are higher on GT.

The "rivalry" is almost totally from the GDP side. Most G-T members don't even know about the feud. NJBob's comment above would never occur to the average G-T member.

Savvy business people should be advertising (and contributing) on both sites. That means you, Tim H. The GDP is hostile to Compton, but G-T has threads about both bridges and there is little rancor. Curt, that means you too. There'd be a few there who'd buy your guitars or use your finishing services. People here might discover Brown Bear Guitars and Eman Guitars.

I understand Bax's frustration. I'd be pissed off too. But for the average Gretsch fan, it's really a non-issue.

I am one of those who posts both places. Where I post a particular thread depends on the topic. Some are cross posted, others are at G-T, a few are only on the GDP.

Ruger9 and I probably agree on little politically but on G-T we exist together, here we fight.

Good folks at both sites. In a perfect world there'd be one site where all Gretsch lovers would join to together in peace and harmony.

Remember this site suffered a much larger failure a few years ago that permanently damaged the GDP.

I remember very well. That's exactly when someone took advantage of that situation and started Gretsch Talk. There was nothing subtle or classy about it. Of course I don't have anything against people on whatever guitar forum, but the GDP was always the Gretsch forum on the interwebs, and just like some other people, I never saw any need for a second one.

And I didn't like when/how the second one was started. So I don't go there, and I make the odd snarky comment about it over here when it comes up. And that's about all I have to say about that.

Be careful when talking about karma. Remember this site suffered a much larger failure a few years ago that permanently damaged the GDP. I recently tracked the two sites over a week and found that the other forum has twice as many threads, posts and actively contributing members than this one. While total members favors the GDP, new members are higher on GT.

The "rivalry" is almost totally from the GDP side. Most G-T members don't even know about the feud. NJBob's comment above would never occur to the average G-T member.

Savvy business people should be advertising (and contributing) on both sites. That means you, Tim H. The GDP is hostile to Compton, but G-T has threads about both bridges and there is little rancor. Curt, that means you too. There'd be a few there who'd buy your guitars or use your finishing services. People here might discover Brown Bear Guitars and Eman Guitars.

I understand Bax's frustration. I'd be pissed off too. But for the average Gretsch fan, it's really a non-issue.

I am one of those who posts both places. Where I post a particular thread depends on the topic. Some are cross posted, others are at G-T, a few are only on the GDP.

Ruger9 and I probably agree on little politically but on G-T we exist together, here we fight.

Good folks at both sites. In a perfect world there'd be one site where all Gretsch lovers would join to together in peace and harmony.

– drmilktruck

Thanks but Im really happy here. I’m not sure if you were around during the start of that forum but the poaching was ridiculous. As far as business I’m so far behind that I couldn’t imagine advertising or being on that site.

They once asked Steve Jobs about market share, he said something like BMW isn’t interested in quantity as much as they are quality.

"Ruger9 and I probably agree on little politically but on G-T we exist together, here we fight."

Because G-T is policed, and has stricter rules than "don't be a jerk." The bed that is made is the one that is slept in. The rules on G-T are very clear, black and white, not ambiguous at all... I like that. Some people don't. Actually, almost every other music forum I frequent has those same rules. GDP is an outlier in that it DOESN'T.

And yes- this is the only forum I "fight" in, because it's allowed. Until suddenly it's not. For better or worse (again, a matter of personal opinion/preference.)

That laxity can apply to personal attacks as well. A few years ago I sold a guitar to a member here. Another long timer jumped in on an unrelated thread and accused me of lying about the instrument and ripping the other off. Awhile later I got a PM from the buyer who acknowledged he was wrong and apologized. Later he sold the guitar at a nice profit. The main attacker never apologized and Bax never said anything. If it weren't for the crash those attacks would be there still for any potential buyer to read and assume I was a con man.

Thanks but Im really happy here. I’m not sure if you were around during the start of that forum but the poaching was ridiculous. As far as business I’m so far behind that I couldn’t imagine advertising or being on that site.

They once asked Steve Jobs about market share, he said something like BMW isn’t interested in quantity as much as they are quality.

– Curt Wilson

I wasn't around at the time of the breakup and couldn't care less. I'm glad you're busy and happy here.

As for the Steve Jobs quote, I'm an Apple fanboy and always will be, but he's dead and the company (and product) is not the same as it was.

I wasn't around at the time of the breakup and couldn't care less. I'm glad you're busy and happy here.

As for the Steve Jobs quote, I'm an Apple fanboy and always will be, but he's dead and the company (and product) is not the same as it was.

– drmilktruck

Exactly my point, quality trumps everything.

Well, again, I think there are fine people frequenting Gretsch Talk.

But the owner of the site has never cared about Gretsch guitars, and he sure as hell hasn't spent more than 20 years devoted to the guitars, their community, and their history.

For me. This is a labor of love, for him, it's just another forum among many.

Which is fine, except he has actively worked to steal my work, my members, and my advertisers.

That's not how I do business, and I think a lot of folks here don't appreciate that sort of business either.

And as for moderation, if you think you're allowed to fling shit and fight here, you have a very poor understanding of the concept "don't be a jerk"

Conversely, if you think I've missed something and should step in, please let me know. I may or may not take action, but I absolutely want to know.

Exactly my point, quality trumps everything.

– Curt Wilson

I’m still waiting for my apology, Curt. So much for “quality.”

I don't know what that's in reference to, but why don't you two work it out offsite?

Remember this site suffered a much larger failure a few years ago that permanently damaged the GDP.

I remember very well. That's exactly when someone took advantage of that situation and started Gretsch Talk. There was nothing subtle or classy about it. Of course I don't have anything against people on whatever guitar forum, but the GDP was always the Gretsch forum on the interwebs, and just like some other people, I never saw any need for a second one.

And I didn't like when/how the second one was started. So I don't go there, and I make the odd snarky comment about it over here when it comes up. And that's about all I have to say about that.

– WB

Actually that’s not what I was referring to. As I understand it, Gretsch Talk started when the GDP was having some issues 10 or so years ago. However a few years ago there was the devastating database failure here that wiped out everything before, so while it’s possible on Gretsch Talk to view threads from 5 years ago you can’t do that on the GDP. If karma is a thing, then the GDP is paying the price, not G-T, which is increasingly successful.

I don't know what that's in reference to, but why don't you two work it out offsite?

– Baxter

Odd you say that now.

Register Sign in to join the conversation