Miscellaneous Rumbles

Greatest Television Show Theme Ever!

Late to this party...

This thread is a great reminder of how pervasive and evocative music is in our lives... And how important outstanding composers and performers are, even for purely commercial purposes like these.

Laurie Johnson's theme for The Avengers and Angelo Badalamente's Falling for Twin Peaks share the #1 position in my heart.

Paul/FF909

Theme tune to the UK's longest-running tv soap, Coronation Street. It has been played several times a week since the programme started in 1960 and shows no sign of going away. Actually, I can't say that I like it, but by now it has wormed itself into the British psyche.

The composer, Eric Spear, was paid the princely sum of £6 for his trouble! Whatever happened to royalties, eh? And incidentally, the guy also wrote the theme music for the movie Meet Mr Callaham, a tune that was a hit for Les Paul. I used to have a version by The Ventures -- it was on their first album.

Theme tune to the UK's longest-running tv soap, Coronation Street. It has been played several times a week since the programme started in 1960 and shows no sign of going away. Actually, I can't say that I like it, but by now it has wormed itself into the British psyche.

The composer, Eric Spear, was paid the princely sum of £6 for his trouble! Whatever happened to royalties, eh? And incidentally, the guy also wrote the theme music for the movie Meet Mr Callaham, a tune that was a hit for Les Paul. I used to have a version by The Ventures -- it was on their first album.

– Dave_K

This still fills me with utter dread...

Shudder.

The Perry Mason theme. Everything else is fighting for a distant second. The original version of that song is just a killer piece of music!!!

This one brings back the memories for me - clever music!

Delia Derbyshire was a monster of synthesiser and musique concrete creativity. When composer Ron Grainer, who was no slouch and went on to write the enigmatic theme for The Prisoner, heard her dramatic re-imagining of his Dr Who music he was utterly astonished, plaintively asking, "Did I write that?"

"Most of it." was Delia's laconic reply.

Register Sign in to join the conversation