Miscellaneous Rumbles

Greatest Television Show Theme Ever!

One of my favourites - and on a guitar forum such as this I think it very appropriate. Fabulous guitar sound.

Not surprisingly my faves are all retro:

Fireball XL5

Stingray

The Munsters

Robinson Crusoe

This one just screams the 70s to me. I always liked the end tune over the one at the beginning.

Another favorite opening tune:

Two of my top three have already been mentioned-- in order,

1-- Jonny Quest-- This one has it all-- a Krupa-esque drum rhythm, twangy guitar, and HUGE horn hits, even a flute solo on the outro. 2--The Prisoner-- speaks for itself. I'm posting the closing credit version, since it is not interrupted by dialogue. 3,-- not yet mentioned-- High Chaparral-- Just screams "wide open wild west" to me

I suppose it's pretty obvious that I prefer instrumental themes to vocal themes when it comes to television.

For me, three themes standout, both for being well written but for standing the test of time as seemingly never ending reruns. True they were great when the shows were originally run. These are Perry Mason, MASH & The Twilight Zone. Honorable mention for me also goes to

Mission Impossible The Munsters The Avengers - this song has an very James Bondish feel to it.

Now.......no one has mentioned an entire genre of TV shows whose themes were sensational and didn't make anyone's list, and these are The Westerns. Here's a list of some great ones and while I like all these, the most iconic IMO is Bonanza.

Lone Ranger - stolen from the classics so perhaps not really to be included. Rin Tin Tin The Rifleman Gunsmoke Rawhide Daniel Boone Have Gun Will Travel Roy Rogers/Dale Evans - Dale wrote this theme song, Happy Trails

What say you all in a separate category within the OP's original posting? Favorite western theme??

Surprised no one has mentioned the theme from Taxi by Bob James. (Actually called Angela.)

Or the theme from SWAT

Or Angie Dickinson in Police Woman

Last the NBC Mystery Movie - Colombo, McCloud, Macmillan and wife

Two that went back to back on Saturday night:

More -

Baretta

What's Happening

Soul Train

I forgot:

• Bonanza
  • Dragnet

Welcome Back Kotter

Benny Hill

Monty Python

Dr. Who

Star Trek

Bewitched

I Dream of Jeanie

Flintstones

The Simpsons

X-Files

The Andy Griffith Show

Mr. Ed.

For me, three themes standout, both for being well written but for standing the test of time as seemingly never ending reruns. True they were great when the shows were originally run. These are Perry Mason, MASH & The Twilight Zone. Honorable mention for me also goes to

Mission Impossible The Munsters The Avengers - this song has an very James Bondish feel to it.

Now.......no one has mentioned an entire genre of TV shows whose themes were sensational and didn't make anyone's list, and these are The Westerns. Here's a list of some great ones and while I like all these, the most iconic IMO is Bonanza.

Lone Ranger - stolen from the classics so perhaps not really to be included. Rin Tin Tin The Rifleman Gunsmoke Rawhide Daniel Boone Have Gun Will Travel Roy Rogers/Dale Evans - Dale wrote this theme song, Happy Trails

What say you all in a separate category within the OP's original posting? Favorite western theme??

– Windsordave

Then you must not have been paying attention. I listed High Chaparral (and included a video) in my post immediately preceding yours...

Sorry guys but non of you posted the best TV theme tune ever, this is it:

And I'll add this classic:

Dr Who, Twin Peaks & Les Revenants (Mogwai)

Yes I agree Shuggie, the original Dr Who.

Grange Hill

Rhubarb and Custard

Man in a suitcase

Randall and Hopkirk... had not even thought of that show in decades. It aired in Canada on the CBC back in the day, along with another great show from producer Dennis Spooner- "Department S".. and now I'm hooked on British TV themes...

The Original Avengers theme by Laurie Johnson

This is my fav post ever! So many good songs and Dr Who is brilliant from a composition and production point of view.

The Love Boat too. And good call Jimmy R with Callan. here's one you must remember

NitroG- 'Stingray', terrific choice. It's possibly Barry Gray's greatest theme, all thundering rhythm, momentum and the loveliest close harmony work. Windsordave, if you're reading have a listen. They bark out the single word 'Stingray' with the authority and precision of a big band sax section. The posted version omits the Gary Miller vocal line sung over super-mystery Sharp 11 string flourishes. Not to be missed-

Tartan Phantom, the version of The Prisoner theme I put up earlier has no voices or sound effects added. Initially odd without the thundercrashes, it's a very beautiful work in isolation.

Beatbyrd, Laurie Johnson 'Avengers', just an amazing theme. The swing section in the middle that still uses straight drum fills, superb.

Register Sign in to join the conversation