Miscellaneous Rumbles

Got snow?

– UncleGrumpy

boy, you can read his thoughts just from the look on his face: "WTF is this white stuff? give me a can so i can go back to bed."

or maybe that was my reaction. I'm not sure.

we're looking at getting another dose. Albemarle County could get anywhere from an inch and a half to way too much. i do appreciate that they've scheduled the storms when it's convenient, i.e. before and after Becky's birthday and before Valentine's Day...i live 40 miles away. i had to pick her up at the hospital weekend before last after the peak of the snow. having literally driven in worse weather for years in Chicago it wasn't a problem, but the Virginian kind-of-in-laws were all "OMG IS IT SAFE???" that said, it wasn't a lot of fun, and i like driving in snow because most people stay the heck home and the majority of the drivers use their noodles and go 20 MPH. i'll be ecstatic if i don't have to drive in it for the rest of the winter...the black ice freeway pile-up winter before last where i almost died still weighs on my mind. i miss the days in California when we could afford to have 4WD Volvos. small front-wheel-drive cars suck in snow. or rain, for that matter.

I got a trip to the ER. Slipped on the ice and banged my head on the concrete yesterday. No concussion, but hurry up sunshine!

– Baba Joe

Careful out there folks. Glad you're alright, Joe.

A little late to this - been out plowing. This is what snow looks like to me: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Well we do now, thanks for bringing it up man. Merry Xmas.

Love lenny and squiggy. Half inch of ice this morning. For more fun, expecting another 6 to 12 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow. I'm running out of places to put it all.

I did make this. About 8 feet tall. After this next snow I'll get the kids to help me carve something neat. **

We got 2-3 inches last night. We are expecting another 12-16 in the next day or so. sending us home from work early. WooHoo!

S. Indiana

BTW, Y'all be careful. I've already fallen twice today.

BTW, Y'all be careful. I've already fallen twice today.

– Suprdave

We don’t want to hear that third times’ a charm. Stay careful.

yep.. alittle last night , dry today but more overnight. but we had - 8 degrees!

We don't get a lot of snow... but about once a year, something like this happens.

(Yesterday)

Today, it's above freezing and raining so, it should be gone by week's end.

the last batch of snow hasn't quite all melted. it's raining now, could snow in a couple of days. i rather like that the snow from the fall doesn't hang around all winter...new snow is delightful, but it's downright grim with a few months of airborne city dirt and crud worked into the outside layer of ice.

We were supposed to get "significant icing" last night here in NW NJ, and when I went to bed there was a slight amount on the patio, but by then time I got up at 6:30am, it was already 37F, so the storm was a bit of a dud (thankfully). Supposed to be partly cloudy and 46F today, it's gonna' feel like spring!! Going out for a walk!

We got bout 8-10 inches last night. It's all powdery so it came off the car pretty easy with a broom. I get to work and some idiot cleared our lot but pushed the snow mound up against the overhead door that we get our deliveries through.

We got 6 and 1/2 inches the other night - most snow since 1949, and it's crippled Austin. We usually go several years without seeing a single flake, but it snowed an inch and a half in January, too. It's freakin' 5 degrees right now - never seen anything like it. We've been hunkered down since it hit Sunday night. #notmadeforthis, #tiredofleftovers

Texas is a Sh**show in certain areas, I'm sure. Y'all don't normally do snow.

That 100 car pile-up the other day was terrible.

You are correct in the Sh** show dept, Sir Dave. A lot of people have been without power for up to 30 hours now and I've heard many stories of busted pipes and no water, too. Luckily (knock on wood) we've not lost power or had bad luck. This storm was/is legit.

Yes, in Texas, all of Texas, and here in the Dallas/FtWorth areas, we have snow and ice, more coming tonight, and millions of people with no electricity going on 1-2 days now. That's tough when the temps are 3 degrees at night and 13 during the day.

I wonder if the power outages in Texas are making the national news. Blessings to our elderly who cannot handle it. This will be ugly by the time it's over.

As for beautiful photos of snow, usually I'd post them, but right now I've got other concerns.

Blessings to us all. IN65

...+++

I did hear about the power issues. We spent 7 days in 2009 I believe without power at our house. Blocked off a room with quilts over doorways and bought a propane burning heater. Used camping stove on dining table to cook. Lost many games of cards to Karolyn.

I've heard that most of the power in Texas is wind power and the turbines are frozen but heck you're still on the grid, right? That doesn't make sense to me. I do hope your elderly are being helped.

Blessings to you folks.

We've had 2 large (long) power outages here in NW NJ... first was 7 days during the Halloween Ice Storm in 2011; then the very next year we were out for 5 days with Hurricane Sandy. Neither time was I prepared with a generator (of course since buying a generator, and doing the electric work to hook it into the panel, I have never needed it).

For the ice storm, the temps were very low. We (me, wife, dog), were stuck in our family room, which has a closable door and an attached bathroom thankfully, for 3 days- thanks to the fireplace. After 4 days, the wood was gone, and we had to stay at her sister's for 3 more nights.

For Sandy, luckily the temps were warm enough for us not to freeze to death at night... so for all 5 days, we were able to stick it out at home, only sleeping in that family room with the fireplace (I made sure I had enough wood that winter!)

We've had 2 large (long) power outages here in NW NJ... first was 7 days during the Halloween Ice Storm in 2011; then the very next year we were out for 5 days with Hurricane Sandy. Neither time was I prepared with a generator (of course since buying a generator, and doing the electric work to hook it into the panel, I have never needed it).

For the ice storm, the temps were very low. We (me, wife, dog), were stuck in our family room, which has a closable door and an attached bathroom thankfully, for 4 days- thanks to the fireplace. After 4 days, the wood was gone, and we had to stay at her sister's for 3 more nights.

For Sandy, luckily the temps were warm enough for us not to freeze to death at night... so for all 5 days, we were able to stick it out at home, only sleeping in that family room with the fireplace (I made sure I had enough wood that winter!)

Register Sign in to join the conversation